scott genius limited

Old October 7th 06, 02:16 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
dogzbollocks

Default scott genius limited

hi...recentlty bought ex-demo scott genius limited. it has pace 6"
travel forks. i've read the manuals for front & rear shocks put in the
recommended pressures. it rides like a chopper i.e., the front forks
feel a lot longer than my marin hardtail did. is this normal and is
something i have to get used to or is there some way to balance this
out. i have tried moving seat as far forward as it will go...i've moved
the bars forward...one other question is it normal for the seat on a
carbon frame to lower slowly i cant physically tighten the hope qr
clamp any further but the post still creeps towards the land of oz

Old October 7th 06, 07:49 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Dizbin

Hi - I've got an MC-20 and had a similar problem with the seat post ...
I found that a small amount of chalk dust around the seat post fixes
the problem after a couple of rides (however, bear in mind that my seat
post is Alloy, not carbon).

As for the suspension, the back end is far from easy to set up and, to
be honest I didn't find the manual much good. I would recommend going
to a local Scott dealer and asking them to show you how to set it up -
my LBS was more than happy to do this.

If you don't have any luck with your LBS, give me a shout and I'll try
and give you some ideas.

Old October 8th 06, 01:36 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
dogzbollocks

Dizbin wrote:
Hi - I've got an MC-20 and had a similar problem with the seat post ...
I found that a small amount of chalk dust around the seat post fixes
the problem after a couple of rides (however, bear in mind that my seat
post is Alloy, not carbon).

As for the suspension, the back end is far from easy to set up and, to
be honest I didn't find the manual much good. I would recommend going
to a local Scott dealer and asking them to show you how to set it up -
my LBS was more than happy to do this.

If you don't have any luck with your LBS, give me a shout and I'll try
and give you some ideas.

dogz******** wrote:

thanx i'll try the chalk idea. my lbs sold me the bike but arent much cop...

bit miserable too..
....ive tried increasing rear shock pressures + & - ....inc lowering
front shock pressures
but it bottoms out...
theres nothing wrong with the ride just feels that the front is like an
old raleigh chopper i.e.,
feels like its high n long...i must say though that the lock out helps
on climbs...
luv the bike maybe just not used to race geometry. regards shaun

Old October 9th 06, 06:40 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Dizbin

dogz******** wrote:
thanx i'll try the chalk idea. my lbs sold me the bike but arent much cop...

bit miserable too..
...ive tried increasing rear shock pressures + & - ....inc lowering
front shock pressures
but it bottoms out...
theres nothing wrong with the ride just feels that the front is like an
old raleigh chopper i.e.,
feels like its high n long...i must say though that the lock out helps
on climbs...
luv the bike maybe just not used to race geometry. regards shaun

Hey - stick, with it, it took me 3 - 4 rides to get the back end sorted
out. The bike is renown as being difficult to set up, but once its
sorted its excellent. I'll put up some details on how I was shown how
to sort it in the next couple of days, but kinda busy at the moment.

Old October 9th 06, 10:25 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Dizbin

dogz******** wrote:
thanx i'll try the chalk idea. my lbs sold me the bike but arent much cop...

bit miserable too..
...ive tried increasing rear shock pressures + & - ....inc lowering
front shock pressures
but it bottoms out...
theres nothing wrong with the ride just feels that the front is like an
old raleigh chopper i.e.,
feels like its high n long...i must say though that the lock out helps
on climbs...
luv the bike maybe just not used to race geometry. regards shaun

Ok, try this.

Make sure that the rear shock is in full travel mode.
Take all the air out of both the +ve and -ve chambers.
Pump up the +ve chamber (small one) to the recommended pressure in the
booklet as a starter.
Pump up the -ve chamber until the piston just lifts - best way to do
this is to look at the black band of oil/dirt that builds up on the
piston rod above the rebound setting.
Gently get on the bike and measure the sag (I found it was worth cutting
a piece of stick to the correct length so that you can measure it
yourself when your on the bike).

Repeat the above process adjusting the pressure in the +ve chamber until
the sag is correct (ie as recommended in the owners manual).

This will give you a good starting point ... I weigh about 80kgs and
need about 11 bar in the +ve chamber.

Wind the rebound to the mid position as a starter (the + and - refer to
the level of rebound damping, so turning the dial towards the +
(clockwise) makes the rebound slower).

Take it for a ride ...

From here it a matter of adjusting to more or less sag until you feel
right .. but this should give you a good starting point and stop the
suspension from bottoming out. The one thing I've found is to always
start by taking all the air out of both cylinder and not to try and just
add to, or remove air from, either cylinder, as the whole thing goes out
of balance.

Some other thoughts -

I've got two carbon spacers under the handle bars, have you tried
lowering them by moving these round.

My forks are Talas so can't add much on this front, however, I tend to
wind down the forks to minimum travel when going up, and wind max travel
for the downhills (apologies if this a stating the obvious).

And finally, take a look at the What Mtb forum ...

http://www.whatmtb.com/forum/

there's a number of Scott Genius owners there that are really helpful -
and, I'm assuming you live in the UK, it might be worth asking on there
if anyone can recommend a good LBS, as sooner or later you're going to
have to get the bike serviced.

Hope that's of some help.

scott genius pressures Gooty UK 2 August 28th 06 03:21 PM
scott genius Gooty Mountain Biking 0 June 25th 06 06:48 PM
Scott Carbon Frame MC20 Genius [email protected] Mountain Biking 3 May 31st 05 10:09 AM
scott genius Simon Gooch UK 3 May 30th 04 11:13 PM