Shouting "LEFT!!!" -------- Immoral Bad Behavior

Old November 11th 14, 05:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

Default Shouting "LEFT!!!" -------- Immoral Bad Behavior

On Monday, November 10, 2014 10:43:57 PM UTC-5, wrote:
DING DING passing on your left....thak you.

the bell, and I have tested the bell, has hardwired into middle aged riders and generally over the entire spectrum.

DING sharp wakeup into nervous systems wether asleep or functioning .

amazing. here in Florida....Portland ? LA ? if you DING in LA and environs maybe an angry mob rises from the hedge to flatten your rudeness.

passing on your left Mon Renoooo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7oGk-ozhKI

- Frank Krygowski
Old November 11th 14, 07:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Monday, November 10, 2014 11:26:46 PM UTC-5, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On Monday, November 10, 2014 10:43:57 PM UTC-5, wrote:
DING DING passing on your left....thak you.

the bell, and I have tested the bell, has hardwired into middle aged riders and generally over the entire spectrum.

DING sharp wakeup into nervous systems wether asleep or functioning .

amazing. here in Florida....Portland ? LA ? if you DING in LA and environs maybe an angry mob rises from the hedge to flatten your rudeness.

passing on your left Mon Renoooo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7oGk-ozhKI

- Frank Krygowski

On the rail trails around here I find many people react to hearing a bicycle bell but their reaction is very interesting in that they stop and, believe it or not, look up at the sky as if the bell is up there somewhere. I've taken other riders there and shown them that and they think it's hilarious. I have a bell on my one bike just to be legal. However I far prefer my compact air horn designed for boats as it sounds like a semi-truck and even people wearing earbuds and with their music cranked uo or drivers in cars can hear it. I don't use that horn on the trails because a lot of people there are hoping to bird watch or see other animals but sometimes I'm tempted when the ringing bell doesn't work.

BTW, I too have noticed that calling ot, "PASSING ON YOUR LEFT" causes people to move left instead of right.

Cheers
Old November 11th 14, 09:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ned Mantei[_2_]

On 10-11-14 21:35, RichA wrote:
Stop shouting left when pass by other slower riding biker. You should
know you don't own the whole lane.

Here in Switzerland nobody signals when passing, but often I wish they
would. For example when I'm riding across a meadow on a small dirt road
out in the countryside, and then happen to notice an unusual flower on
the left side of the road. I'm all too likely to pull over to the left
without considering that someone might be about to pass. Similarly on
narrow trails where it would be natural to ride in the middle, on the
right, or on the left, depending on the density of stones, puddles,
overhanging bushes, and sometimes even cows.

Ned
Old November 11th 14, 12:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_4_]

Sir Ridesalot wrote:
[...]

I have a friend with a Groucho horn on his bike. Invariably when he uses
it he panics the skateboarder who pulls in front of me. I've told him now
that I won't pull until he loses the horn.

BTW, I too have noticed that calling ot, "PASSING ON YOUR LEFT" causes
people to move left instead of right.

I'm not usually going to be close enough that it will matter. I just don't
want them to turn left in front of me. I've had someone try to make a u
turn as I was passing. I used to just click my brake levers. Now I yell.
Maybe a bell is a good idea.

--
duane
Old November 11th 14, 12:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Tuesday, November 11, 2014 6:14:26 AM UTC-5, Duane wrote:
Sir Ridesalot wrote:

Snipped
I'm not usually going to be close enough that it will matter. I just don't
want them to turn left in front of me. I've had someone try to make a u
turn as I was passing. I used to just click my brake levers. Now I yell..
Maybe a bell is a good idea.

--
duane

Having a bell on your bicycle here in Ontario makes the bicycle road legal although the only people I know of ticketed for not having a bell are people who'd just done something so stupid when a cop saw them do it that the cop wrote them up for all violations heshe could think of.

Cheers
Old November 11th 14, 01:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

BTW, I too have noticed that calling ot, "PASSING ON YOUR LEFT" causes people to move left instead of right.

NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!

YEAH that's a general passing rule.

size up the victim(s) for experience during approach

evaluate equipment/clothing/posture visavee geometry/STABILITY and motion direction...do they yaw or is force applied forward ?

then when dinging or suggesting your path around them expect yes ! the passee moves head hips weight causing frame turning into your path. Often the passee appears surprised by motion suggesting these motions are not in his repertoire, unexperienced. He jiggles incorrect corrections.

You would suspect this is a significant factor in bike/vehicle collisions

Old November 11th 14, 01:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Ned - not here. Survival means neverever moving right or left without checking mirrors...there's a tv camera mounted on the right van side here up on the roof with screen hung below the instrument panel's overlip.

In IC traffic someone is always 'creeping' up to pass...more Mulsanne....wheeee !

Bicycle make this extra worser. Minor intersections with sidewalks..I have one off a gas station...and trees...hide approaching bikes. You force yourself to wire in the STOP HERE AND LOOK STUPID otherwise you're onto the next task running over the lawyers children en route.

The tv camera is 115%. No turning your head right away from the Renooo just slammed on s brakes in front of you

Suisse ? are your drug addicts driving or riding bikes ? what's their accident potential ?

Old November 11th 14, 02:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_3_]

On 11/11/2014 6:48 AM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Tuesday, November 11, 2014 6:14:26 AM UTC-5, Duane wrote:
Sir Ridesalot wrote:

Snipped
I'm not usually going to be close enough that it will matter. I just don't
want them to turn left in front of me. I've had someone try to make a u
turn as I was passing. I used to just click my brake levers. Now I yell.
Maybe a bell is a good idea.

--
duane

Having a bell on your bicycle here in Ontario makes the bicycle road legal although the only people I know of ticketed for not having a bell are people who'd just done something so stupid when a cop saw them do it that the cop wrote them up for all violations heshe could think of.

Cheers

There's no requirement in Quebec to have a bell as far as I can see.
Required equipment seems to be brakes, reflectors and lights if riding
at night.

Old November 11th 14, 03:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Tuesday, November 11, 2014 11:48:17 AM UTC, Sir Ridesalot wrote:

Having a bell on your bicycle here in Ontario makes the bicycle road legal although the only people I know of ticketed for not having a bell are people who'd just done something so stupid when a cop saw them do it that the cop wrote them up for all violations heshe could think of.

Same here. Probably a legal requirement (Irish law is like that -- nobody will know until there's a decided case, when it becomes the precedent, or there may be a European regulation, and until then "They do it in England," with a finger pointing to a CE mark, is usually good enough to end any enquiry). I've never seen or heard of a cop pulling over a bike to ticket anyone who wasn't doing something really, really dangerous on his bike. I've had policemen stop me on the street to talk to me about bikes though, which they should buy for their kids, suchlike.

***

Er, gentlemen, I was joking. I very rarely use my bell, perhaps once a year, usually for schoolchildren crowding onto the road where they wait for the bus, so wrapped up in themselves they pay no attention to the traffic. And as for shouting, I don't need to. My natural tone has retired sergeant majors jumping to attention and saluting at the far end of the block. "D'y'mind if I pass," in my normal mild conversational tone suffices to clear the road.

Andre Jute
Save energy. Don't shout.