Lidl gear

Old April 2nd 04, 10:16 PM
Doki

Default Lidl gear

Went to the Lidl in Chesterfield for one of their track pumps, and they've
also got aluminium water bottles in. £1.99 each with a plaggy cage. Probably
a tad heavier than a plastic bottle, but your water doesn't taste of rubber
and there's cap thing to go over the top to stop it getting caked in mud.
Unfortunately the track pump doesn't work so I'm off back there first
thing...

Old April 2nd 04, 11:27 PM
Graham

"Doki" wrote in message
Went to the Lidl in Chesterfield for one of their track pumps, and they've
also got aluminium water bottles in. £1.99 each with a plaggy cage.

Probably
a tad heavier than a plastic bottle, but your water doesn't taste of

rubber
and there's cap thing to go over the top to stop it getting caked in mud.
Unfortunately the track pump doesn't work so I'm off back there first
thing...

How can water taste of rubber from a "Plastic" bottle ?

Graham

Old April 2nd 04, 11:41 PM
VisionSet

"Doki" wrote in message
Went to the Lidl in Chesterfield for one of their track pumps, and they've
also got aluminium water bottles in. £1.99 each with a plaggy cage.

Probably
a tad heavier than a plastic bottle, but your water doesn't taste of

rubber
and there's cap thing to go over the top to stop it getting caked in mud.
Unfortunately the track pump doesn't work so I'm off back there first
thing...

If you want a decent Track Pump cheap get the one from Argos.
It is only £8 - quality is fine, in fact pretty damned good.
The only downside is the top pressure is 120 psi at a push.
Just adequate for mine.

As an aside, does slight overinflation cause tires to wear out quicker.
I've noticed the tires on mine, which are the original ones, have a lot of
that persished cracked look about them, radially at their widest point on
the wall. They're only about 2 years old and I've had tyres on my hack last
about 10 years!

--
Mike W

Old April 3rd 04, 10:18 AM
Doki

Graham wrote:
"Doki" wrote in message
Went to the Lidl in Chesterfield for one of their track pumps, and
they've also got aluminium water bottles in. £1.99 each with a
plaggy cage. Probably a tad heavier than a plastic bottle, but your
water doesn't taste of rubber and there's cap thing to go over the
top to stop it getting caked in mud. Unfortunately the track pump
doesn't work so I'm off back there first thing...

How can water taste of rubber from a "Plastic" bottle ?

I don't make the rules, it just does.

Old April 3rd 04, 11:02 AM
VisionSet

"Jim Boyle" wrote in message

As an aside, does slight overinflation cause tires to wear out quicker.
I've noticed the tires on mine, which are the original ones, have a lot

of
that persished cracked look about them, radially at their widest point

on
the wall. They're only about 2 years old and I've had tyres on my hack

last
about 10 years!

Tyres lasting for 10 years? I take it you don't use the bike much?

I do now, but there was a period of 8 or 9 years when I didn't use it at
all.

The ones that have lasted 2 years are 1 year by myself and 1 year by a
previous owner, the tread is well down, but the side walls are cracked,
obviously this is more noticeable when they are very well inflated, I just
wondered if slight overinflation (The guage on an £8 pump is not reliable!!)
might cause them to deteriorate quicker.

--
Mike W

Old April 3rd 04, 11:20 AM
Simonb

The ones that have lasted 2 years are 1 year by myself and 1 year by a
previous owner, the tread is well down, but the side walls are
cracked, obviously this is more noticeable when they are very well
inflated, I just wondered if slight overinflation (The guage on an £8
pump is not reliable!!) might cause them to deteriorate quicker.

They're most likely cracked due to under-inflation which causes more flexing
of the rubber.

Old April 3rd 04, 12:15 PM
VisionSet

"Simonb" wrote in message
.. .
The ones that have lasted 2 years are 1 year by myself and 1 year by a
previous owner, the tread is well down, but the side walls are
cracked, obviously this is more noticeable when they are very well
inflated, I just wondered if slight overinflation (The guage on an £8
pump is not reliable!!) might cause them to deteriorate quicker.

They're most likely cracked due to under-inflation which causes more

flexing
of the rubber.

Well since with my Track pump they've never been under inflated, they're
always rock hard. And they wern't cracked when I got the bike. Perhaps
they're just not brilliant tyres - Vittoria?

--
Mike W

Old April 3rd 04, 12:18 PM
Simonb

Well since with my Track pump they've never been under inflated,
they're always rock hard. And they wern't cracked when I got the
bike.

Perhaps the pressures obtained through using a track pump have exposed the
cracks which were previously closed before when the tyres were
under-inflated.

Old April 3rd 04, 04:50 PM
Pete Biggs

VisionSet wrote:
The ones that have lasted 2 years are 1 year by myself and 1 year by a
previous owner, the tread is well down, but the side walls are
cracked, obviously this is more noticeable when they are very well
inflated, I just wondered if slight overinflation (The guage on an £8
pump is not reliable!!) might cause them to deteriorate quicker.

"Cracks" in the sidewalls don't matter if it's just surface crazing.
Don't worry about if there are no deep cuts or rips.

~PB