Electric Bikes.

Old October 11th 04, 11:08 AM

On 7 Oct 2004 15:07:07 -0700,
(BringYouToLife) wrote:

I haven't seen any good electric road bikes, it seems like battery
technology has reached a point where a good electric road bike would
be a practical means of transportation, they sell bikes that have 20
mile range at 17mph, but add your cycling power to that, and just
conserve your electric power to maintain high gear speeds, it would
seem like you could have a very significant range with little tiring
with these new batteries.
I spend so much on gas when I drive, and somedays you are just too
tired to ride your bike to work, but with that little edge from a
electric motor, I think it would be very practical for almost anyone.

And plus, we don't have to start a nuclear war over oil, won't cause
hurricanes and global warming, etc.

P.S In my city this week, some guy was exonerated for hitting a
biker, because the biker was there to tell his side of the story,
driver said they turned into the path of their vehicle. Wonderful.
You hit a biker , you go to jail, I see so many people who give
absolutely no room to bikers, especially when they are turning in and
out of places, they all assume that since they're in a big car, they
have the right of way. This is why nearly nobody rides their bikes on
the roads with the cars. If we would just lobby the states and
government to made the roads a mere 12 inches wider, a bike lane on
all roads, they could do that for mininal cost, and it would be sooo
much easier to ride, but nearly all the connecting roads are barely
big enough for 2 cars, and now we got these goddamn 6 foot wide
hummers stalking everyone, hogging road width.

I bought Wilderness energy kit and put on a cheap bike bought
from Walmart. Bike cost me $70 and kit cost me $400+ $50 shipping.
I've been using it for about 5 months and put about $1500
miles on it.
The good things-
It goes about18 - 20 miles / hour speed, totally quite, can
take off without even touching the paddles, never had to worry about
gas price.
The bad thing-
Kit added 36 LB and even though it supposed to go 20 miles
[which I'm sure it can go if you use totally flat road with no wind
and once take off don't even think about slowing down] the best I got
9 miles without paddling and 12 when I paddled with it. Due to weight
it's lot of work to get it upstairs. Since I use to go to work and no
way for me to charge it, Batteries are now shot [can get 5 miles
without paddling now] and I gotta get new pack [$85 w/ shipping]
As far as I'm concern it's been fun and I will keep using it
as long as it last but I will consider buying a 49cc moped next.

Electric Bikes. BringYouToLife General 9 October 11th 04 03:45 AM
Bikes in Parades? Jeff Potter General 3 October 11th 04 12:21 AM
Where are the inexpensive steel bikes? Werehatrack Techniques 32 June 24th 04 05:04 PM
First road bike: braking? Alan Hoyle General 47 September 28th 03 11:40 PM
Electric assist bikes seagrass Australia 8 August 23rd 03 03:16 AM