24h predictions

Old June 4th 08, 10:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

Default 24h predictions

Hi All,

I am doing a 24 hour road race this weekend. It's a drafting event,
but I expect most of the time I will ride alone.

Last year Dan Connelly posted a fun formula for predicting distances
in 24 hour events:

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.b...e67ddaea50eec1

Last year I did a 10km ITT on similar rolling terrain as the event in
15:40 and managed 594km in the race. Yesterday I did the same 10km ITT
in 14:22.

I am stronger this year, but the course has changed a bit with a few
more hills, so I don't know how that will play out.

So anyone care to make some predictions?

Joseph
Old June 5th 08, 02:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

On Jun 4, 5:30*pm, Colin Campbell wrote:
wrote:
Hi All,

I am doing a 24 hour road race this weekend. It's a drafting event,
but I expect most of the time I will ride alone.

Last year Dan Connelly posted a fun formula for predicting distances
in 24 hour events:

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.b...e67ddaea50eec1

Last year I did a 10km ITT on similar rolling terrain as the event in
15:40 and managed 594km in the race. Yesterday I did the same 10km ITT
in 14:22.

I am stronger this year, but the course has changed a bit with a few
more hills, so I don't know how that will play out.

So anyone care to make some predictions?

Joseph

Joseph,
Why do you want to do something this crazy - again?

It was great fun, and not as taxing as would seem. I had planned to
take 10 minute stops (or some such, I don't recall) but after having
something to eat, and sitting about for 3-4 minutes twiddling my
thumbs, I'd just forget the rest of the stop and get back on. Nothing
else to do, right?

Heck, you'll be in the dark for probably an hour of this 24....

It's down south in Denmark where it actually does get dark! Not for
long, though.

Good luck!

Thanks! No predictions?

Joseph

Old June 9th 08, 07:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

Default Well? (was 24h predictions)

On Jun 9, 8:26*pm, Colin Campbell wrote:
How did you do?

642km. No drafting. It was windy. Denmark is known to be a windy
place, but even the Danes were complaining!

The math says 632, so I'm ahead by 10km!

I really wanted 680, but it was a bit too hilly and windy for that.

Joseph
Old June 10th 08, 03:19 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Ryan Cousineau

In article
,
" wrote:

On Jun 9, 8:26*pm, Colin Campbell wrote:
How did you do?

642km. No drafting. It was windy. Denmark is known to be a windy
place, but even the Danes were complaining!

The math says 632, so I'm ahead by 10km!

I really wanted 680, but it was a bit too hilly and windy for that.

Joseph

27 km/h for 24 hours is downright impressive in any conditions. Well
played, Mr Santaniello.

Old June 10th 08, 08:46 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

On Jun 10, 4:19*am, Ryan Cousineau wrote:
In article
,

" wrote:
On Jun 9, 8:26*pm, Colin Campbell wrote:
How did you do?

642km. No drafting. It was windy. Denmark is known to be a windy
place, but even the Danes were complaining!

The math says 632, so I'm ahead by 10km!

I really wanted 680, but it was a bit too hilly and windy for that.

Joseph

27 km/h for 24 hours is downright impressive in any conditions. Well
played, Mr Santaniello.

I didn't use a computer or HRM, so I just went "sort of hard" the
whole time. At the rest/food stop, I didn't pay attention to the time.
I just ate, and sat for a few minutes. But that added up. The online
timing results show I was off the bike for about 135 minutes. So I had
an on-bike average of over 29 km/h for 21:45.

It looks like everyone who went farther than I did had more on-bike
time than I did. That's someplace I could pick up a fair amount by
minimizing stops and their duration. At no point was I completely
wasted, though I did have a few low points. The last 1.5 hours was on
a 3.6km short loop but with a 1km 3% hill, but I still managed an
average there of over 34, so I had plently of gas left in the tank.

With a little more focus on fewer and shorter stops, and better mental
preparedness for the low points (which resulted in some serioulsy slow
sections) I think I have it in me for 700km. Drafting (allowed) or
aero-bars (not allowed) would also have made a big difference.

I doubt I'll do that race again, but who knows. Now I'll focus on
Trondheim-Oslo which is in 2 weeks. The goal there is 15 hours
(540km), and if the team rides sensibly, it should be possible, and I
shouldn't have any problems keeping up. We'll see!

Joseph

any predictions? Andre Racing 4 September 1st 07 02:52 PM
Predictions please. [email protected] Racing 30 June 26th 07 10:15 AM
any predictions for Vuelta? Andre Racing 7 August 29th 06 05:55 PM
Predictions Tom Kunich Racing 17 March 17th 06 05:30 AM
no predictions? Andre Racing 8 July 3rd 05 12:06 AM