mik carton mudflap

Old September 18th 04, 03:52 PM
the black rose

Zoot Katz wrote:
Sat, 18 Sep 2004 02:48:42 GMT,
, maxo
wrote:

I think Freddies look very appropriate on modern city bikes, but not old
racers. Do they even make a narrow cross section version?

In colours!
Hi-Vis Yellow, Titanium and Smoke. 45mm wide.

http://www.planetbike.com/fenders.html

Har. The yellow would look great on my black road bike. *cackle*

-km

--
Only cowards fight kids -- unidentified Moscow protester
the black rose
Old September 18th 04, 07:02 PM
maxo

On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 14:52:39 +0000, the black rose wrote:

Har. The yellow would look great on my black road bike. *cackle*

-km

more like: "bzzzzz". :P

Didn't see the coloured ones in 35mm for road bike application though :/

Better yet, find a sexy set of NOS yellow Bluemels!

http://www.bikeville.com/morepages2/yellobluemels.html
Old September 18th 04, 07:18 PM
the black rose

maxo wrote:
On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 14:52:39 +0000, the black rose wrote:

Har. The yellow would look great on my black road bike. *cackle*

-km

more like: "bzzzzz". :P

Hehe, I was actually thinking that.

Float like a butterfly, cycle like a bee... *snorfle*

Didn't see the coloured ones in 35mm for road bike application though :/

Mine's a sport road. It's got 25mm tires, will take larger, and will
take bigger fenders than your usual road bike.

Better yet, find a sexy set of NOS yellow Bluemels!

http://www.bikeville.com/morepages2/yellobluemels.html

Those are cute too.

-km

Old September 19th 04, 01:59 AM
Tom Keats

In article ,
maxo writes:

BTW, that antient Sekine is quite a remarkable li'l beastie. It originally
came with a Shimano experiment they called 'Front Freewheel System'. It's
a derailer bike, but you could shift gears at a standstill while
backpedaling. Splined 'Selecta' crank spindle; allen screws hold the
cranks on. I don't know much about the bike, but I date it around 1970-73.
It has the Sekine rhinestone embedded in the head badge. Kewl ride. I'm
on the lookout for a wide-flanged, single-piece Suzue rear hub to match
the front one I built the front wheel on. It's an ongoing project &
labour of love.

Neato!

post some pictures and don't be a tease! :P

One of these days when I get a camera, I will. The bike is
really better for looking at, than actually riding. I don't
recommend attempting to stand while pedaling on a mixte.

But the mixte configuration sure looks sleek, energized and
potential; kinda like a drawn Welsh yew longbow. The original
paint is a sort of a cherry black, or black with garnet undertones,
but unfortunately the paint is beginning to suffer.

apparently they DO make a 35mm wide version according to the site, btw, is
that what you're using?

A quick check with my tape measure looks more like 45mm.

cheers,
Tom

--
-- Nothing is safe from me.
Above address is just a spam midden.
Old September 19th 04, 06:10 AM
maxo

On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 17:59:32 -0700, Tom Keats wrote:

don't recommend attempting to
stand while pedaling on a mixte.

I'm a big fan of mixte frames, since I'ved owned a couple three-speed
versions as my "bar bikes" LOL.

I do love the two top tubes, very architectural and reminds me of the
lovely Pederson frames.

I've never ridden a mixte hard, or as hard as I needed to to go three
blocks and grab some celery and a sixpack--but it would seem that the rear
triangle would be rather happy and stiff, because of the extra tubes,
therefore good for standing, no? With the term mixte, I mean instead of a
top tube you have two smaller tubes that go from the head tube all the way
down to the rear dropouts. I'm assuming that's what you're referring to
also, since they were rather popular during the early bike boom years.

I've never heard the "don't stand on a mixte" recommendation before, and
I'm curious what your reason is. Is it a geometry thing?

Old September 19th 04, 09:58 PM
Tom Keats

In article ,
maxo writes:

I've never ridden a mixte hard, or as hard as I needed to to go three
blocks and grab some celery and a sixpack--but it would seem that the rear
triangle would be rather happy and stiff, because of the extra tubes,
therefore good for standing, no?

Maybe the rear triangle is extra stiff, but the BB (at least on mine)
sure isn't. It makes all sorts of scary, complaining creaks & groans,
and flexes quite noticably if I ride it too hard. Besides, since
standing-pedaling involves some rocking, I find the lack of a 'normal'
diamond-frame top tube giving me feedback and some control as to how
much I'm rocking by bumping against my thighs, somewhat disconcerting.
I suspect standing-pedaling on a folding bike would have a similar feel
and effect.

With the term mixte, I mean instead of a
top tube you have two smaller tubes that go from the head tube all the way
down to the rear dropouts. I'm assuming that's what you're referring to
also

Yup. It /is/ quite a pretty config, with those dainty twin top tubes.
I find it makes carrying the bike around easy, too.

cheers again,
Tom

Old September 21st 04, 07:05 AM
Lance Delo

big snip

There was a thread here awhile back about cutting out a section
of a water bottle with a team logo on it for a mudflap. A gold
logo with black outlines on a white background would be tres chic.

That's what I did and it works well. It seems to be common amongst the
non-rain-allergic riders up here in Seattle.

- Lance

Old September 21st 04, 08:28 AM
Zoot Katz

Mon, 20 Sep 2004 23:05:08 -0700, ,
"Lance Delo" wrote:

big snip

There was a thread here awhile back about cutting out a section
of a water bottle with a team logo on it for a mudflap. A gold
logo with black outlines on a white background would be tres chic.

That's what I did and it works well. It seems to be common amongst the
non-rain-allergic riders up here in Seattle.

You mean _down_ there in Seattle.

You responded to Tom Keats' post.
Tom's in the People's Republic of East Vancouver, British Columbia.

I cut mine out of silver plastic motor oil bottles to match my bike.
They blend well with chromoplast ESGE or Zefal fenders.
--
zk
Old September 22nd 04, 05:03 AM
Frank Krygowski

Zoot Katz wrote:

I cut mine out of silver plastic motor oil bottles to match my bike.
They blend well with chromoplast ESGE or Zefal fenders.

Excellent idea!

--
replace with cc.ysu dot edu]