It's all the flat's fault!

Old September 23rd 04, 12:40 AM
Fritz M

Luigi de Guzman wrote:

now that's dreaming.

Real life is plenty interesting for me.

* Jailbait in bikinis cat-calling from their backyard swimming pools.

* Teen girls yelling "Hey baby" out of their open car windows.

* A group of young women in tight exercise clothing on the path asking
"Oooh, can I ride your bike?" Yes, really. They seemed happy to see
me.

* Attractive, young woman in dualie pickup truck stopping to give me a
ride during a hail storm.

* Slim, young woman with ooh-la-la exotic, European accent passing by
on her hybrid bike as I'm sitting at a trailside bench watching
wildlife, then turning around and stopping to chat with me.

This type of sexual harassment happens on an almost weekly basis, and
I don't even have a Fab-approved kit. I have other positive
encounters, too. I say hello to most everybody on road or on trail.
Last week I met a one-armed 80-year-old man riding his ancient Raleigh
single-speed. We stopped and he told me his life story. Fascinating
stuff.

RFM
Old September 23rd 04, 01:41 AM
Beverly

"Neil Cherry" wrote in message
On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 10:26:53 -0400, Beverly wrote:

"the black rose" wrote in message
news
My new bike got its first flat tire yesterday (Tuesday). That patch of
glass that I've always successfully avoided before? Well, it sent out
tiny, almost invisible scouts into areas that looked clear (and had

been
clear -- before).

*fluppa* *fluppa* *fluppa* *fluppa*

A dark red sedan of some sort pulls over ahead of me and an older lady
gets out. As she gets closer, I notice she's wearing cycling shorts.

Hey how was I supposed to know she was the US Seniors Champion? :-)

About 7 or 8 years ago I rode with a lady who I was told was about 72
(she didn't look anywhere near 60). At the time I was a B paced rider
(~16 mph avg over 40 - 60 miles) and she had no problem keeping the
pace. Half way through the ride I found out she had no problem riding
at 25 mph (she told me and I don't doubt it). I no longer look at age
and try to figure out what a rider is capable of doing.

Watch out for those "older ladies" - some of them can run your wheels

offg
We have several members of our patrol group who are older than me (I'm

61)
and I sometimes have a tough time keeping up with them. One fellow

around
65 thinks nothing of riding 300+ miles a week. He's retired and rides
everyday.

I'm now regularly riding at a 18 - 19 mph pace over 50 - 70 miles and
look forward to the day I can avg above 20 mph over 100 miles. I have
at least 20+ years to retirement. :-)

I've been a recreational rider for years but have really gotten back into
more riding this year. I've set a goal for next summer of being able to do
a century. My best for this year has been 84 miles but it took me almost 7
hours. I need to work on increasing my speed. I'm hoping to take some
spinning classes this winter so I can stay in half-way decent condition over
the winter.

--
Linux Home Automation Neil Cherry
http://home.comcast.net/~ncherry/ (Text only)

Old September 23rd 04, 03:20 AM
the black rose

Badger_South wrote:
Forget about the wimp appellation, though. The wimps are those that never
get on a bike - you're far, far above wimp, my dear! ;-)

*snorfle* Okay, that's what I'd be if I hadn't gotten on the bike
again. The first time I did a set of 8 unweighted squats, I couldn't
walk for a week. Now I do 3 sets with a 30-pound barbell. Rar.

-km

--
Only cowards fight kids -- unidentified Moscow protester
the black rose
Old September 23rd 04, 09:23 AM
Luigi de Guzman

Fritz M wrote:

snip amusement

This type of sexual harassment happens on an almost weekly basis, and
I don't even have a Fab-approved kit.

Makes me want to ride more. Grrr. stupid job.

I get fewer catcalls, being a general lardarse.

oh well.

-Luigi

--
www.livejournal.com/users/ouij
Photos, Rants, Raves

Old September 23rd 04, 12:35 PM
Peter Cole

"Badger_South" wrote

Believe me, that woman did -not- get that body on a Bowflex. In fact I
daresay, none of the models they have posing next to those machines got
that way using the BowFlex, except for the 20 minutes it took to shoot

that
commercial.

Yeah, a friend of mine dated one of the main Nordic Track models, that was
definitely true there.

You're much better of getting free weights, dumbells, etc., and keep

doing
what you're doing on the bike.

I'd use it though. Assuming we found somewhere to put it.

Thing is those devices always look more stable and capable on TV, and

when
you get it out of the box, you realize it's a 'toy'.

Actually, I've seen a Bowflex machine, a friend owned one (never used it,
of course), it looked pretty well made. Thing is, free weights are great,
if you have a good bench, racks, etc. A pulley machine (like the
"Universal" machines in the gym) can be compact and flexible. It's a big
advantage to not need a spotter. We have had a cable & weight machine for
many years, it's not bad, especially when mixed with dumbbells.

Old September 24th 04, 12:24 AM
Neil Cherry

On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 00:41:57 GMT, Beverly wrote:

"Neil Cherry" wrote in message

I'm now regularly riding at a 18 - 19 mph pace over 50 - 70 miles and
look forward to the day I can avg above 20 mph over 100 miles. I have
at least 20+ years to retirement. :-)

I've been a recreational rider for years but have really gotten back into
more riding this year. I've set a goal for next summer of being able to do
a century. My best for this year has been 84 miles but it took me almost 7
hours. I need to work on increasing my speed. I'm hoping to take some
spinning classes this winter so I can stay in half-way decent condition over
the winter.

I've discovered that I have a hard time increasing my speed but I am
able to gain about a mile or two per hour every year over my long
rides. I do the normal stuff, squats, push ups, crunches etc and I
spin during the winter. But I hve noticed that I've been able to ride
a bigger gear every year so when I spin I use the bigger gear. This
year I've lost some of my spin (I was able to ride at about 120 for a
while). This winter I'll continue to work on the spin but in the
bigger gear. I'm using the rollers and I've found that if I maintain a
25 mph avg over 1 hour I don't fall asleep on the rollers. :-)

Understand I've gone from no riding in 1990 with a 15 mph avg speed to
19 mph avg over 100 miles (my speed seems to drop to about 18 over 200
miles). So it takes time, we're not professional athletes.

Old September 24th 04, 12:30 AM
Neil Cherry

On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 04:23:50 -0400, Luigi de Guzman wrote:
Fritz M wrote:

snip amusement

This type of sexual harassment happens on an almost weekly basis, and
I don't even have a Fab-approved kit.

Makes me want to ride more. Grrr. stupid job.

I get fewer catcalls, being a general lardarse.

Don't worry, if you're riding, you're working on it. :-)

True story: I used to commute to work from time to time (30 mile, 1
way) and during one fall morning I was riding through a small town
around 8am (school opening time). While flying down Main St a bunch of
guys began whistling and cat calling from behind me. A few seconds
later they're jaws dropped when the found out I was not what they
thought I was. They quickly drove off and I had a good laugh (I don't
know maybe I have a nice figure ;-).

Old September 24th 04, 02:39 AM
Luigi de Guzman

Neil Cherry wrote:

On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 04:23:50 -0400, Luigi de Guzman wrote:
Fritz M wrote:

snip amusement

This type of sexual harassment happens on an almost weekly basis, and
I don't even have a Fab-approved kit.

Makes me want to ride more. Grrr. stupid job.

I get fewer catcalls, being a general lardarse.

Don't worry, if you're riding, you're working on it. :-)

True story: I used to commute to work from time to time (30 mile, 1
way) and during one fall morning I was riding through a small town
around 8am (school opening time). While flying down Main St a bunch of
guys began whistling and cat calling from behind me. A few seconds
later they're jaws dropped when the found out I was not what they
thought I was. They quickly drove off and I had a good laugh (I don't
know maybe I have a nice figure ;-).

Legs and lycra, old chap.

-Luigi