Wheelset reuse: cheap *******'s delight

Old January 6th 11, 09:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Anton Success

Default Wheelset reuse: cheap *******'s delight

Aethetics aside I wonder are there any pitfalls with using a disk
brake hubs on a wheelset that will be used primarily used on a
cantilever bike?
If so should I plug the disk holes with the screws to prevent dirt
from accumulating in little twisty crevices?
I want to future proof the wheels even though my wife's 29"er is
highly unlikely to see the new and improved wheels
(the tires are fat enough for her to get by with the cheap alexrims
that came with the bike AND there are suspenders up front)
Old January 6th 11, 02:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected][_2_]

On Jan 6, 2:59*am, Anton Success wrote:
Aethetics aside I wonder are there any pitfalls with using a disk
brake hubs on a wheelset that will be used primarily used on a
cantilever bike?
If so should I plug the disk holes with the screws to prevent dirt
from accumulating in little twisty crevices?
I want to future proof the wheels even though my wife's 29"er is
highly unlikely to see the new and improved wheels
(the tires are fat enough for her to get by with the cheap alexrims
that came with the bike AND there are suspenders up front)

You can use a disk break hub without rotors. If you don't plug the
little wholes, once you decide to use them, you will have to gently
insert a a greased screw, needle or something else to remove mud and
other crap accumulated being careful not to damage the threads. Or,
just use the proper screws to cover the holes.

Andres
Old January 6th 11, 03:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Jan 6, 3:59*am, Anton Success wrote:
Aethetics aside I wonder are there any pitfalls with using a disk
brake hubs on a wheelset that will be used primarily used on a
cantilever bike?
If so should I plug the disk holes with the screws to prevent dirt
from accumulating in little twisty crevices?
I want to future proof the wheels even though my wife's 29"er is
highly unlikely to see the new and improved wheels
(the tires are fat enough for her to get by with the cheap alexrims
that came with the bike AND there are suspenders up front)

Cheap Alex rims will be as strong or stronger than anything with
European Mistyque, if you properly tension the wheel...

Disc hubs are fine if not elegant.

If you're building a new set for use with rim brakes, there are some
good deals on high quality white elephants:

http://store.icyclesusa.com/coda-rea...ngs-p9588.aspx

Try finding DT branded rear hubs for thirty bux.
Old January 6th 11, 04:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
kolldata

WINTER has us in its grip
think....

http://www.google.com/#q=DEORE+DISC+...68f614bc218727

I'm stunned. How's this algorythm work ?
Old January 6th 11, 04:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
kolldata

On Jan 6, 8:06*am, kolldata wrote:
WINTER has us in its grip
think....

http://www.google.com/#q=DEORE+DISC+...d=ivns&source=...

I'm stunned. How's this algorythm work ?

yeah. lube the hub's spoke holes with Finish Line dry lube then cover
the spokes/flanges with same-dribble lube down a broken spoke shaft
filed to point. Lubing and covering the spoke bends/contact areas
prolongs life.
Old January 6th 11, 06:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

kolldata wrote:
WINTER has us in its grip
think....

http://www.google.com/#q=DEORE+DISC+...68f614bc218727

I'm stunned. How's this algorythm work ?

Algorithm? Pay gurgle for a higher placement.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Old January 6th 11, 11:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jay Beattie

On Jan 6, 7:48*am, landotter wrote:
On Jan 6, 3:59*am, Anton Success wrote:

Aethetics aside I wonder are there any pitfalls with using a disk
brake hubs on a wheelset that will be used primarily used on a
cantilever bike?
If so should I plug the disk holes with the screws to prevent dirt
from accumulating in little twisty crevices?
I want to future proof the wheels even though my wife's 29"er is
highly unlikely to see the new and improved wheels
(the tires are fat enough for her to get by with the cheap alexrims
that came with the bike AND there are suspenders up front)

Cheap Alex rims will be as strong or stronger than anything with
European Mistyque, if you properly tension the wheel...

Disc hubs are fine if not elegant.

If you're building a new set for use with rim brakes, there are some
good deals on high quality white elephants:

http://store.icyclesusa.com/coda-rea...-silver-sealed...

Try finding DT branded rear hubs for thirty bux.

Four bolt? Good luck finding a rotor -- one that fits an Avid or
other available mechanical disc. -- Jay Beattie.
Old January 7th 11, 07:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
TriGuru55x11

On Thu, 6 Jan 2011 01:59:25 -0800 (PST), Anton Success wrote:

Aethetics aside I wonder are there any pitfalls with using a disk
brake hubs on a wheelset that will be used primarily used on a
cantilever bike?

Some people think it looks wierd, I don't. Anyway, such setups I've seen
work just fine. Using hubs as you describe is not recommended use, but it's
usually no problem.

If you want to be safe, wear a helmet. I think you'll be fine though.
Old January 7th 11, 01:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected][_2_]

On Jan 7, 12:30*am, TriGuru55x11 wrote:
On Thu, 6 Jan 2011 01:59:25 -0800 (PST), Anton Success wrote:
Aethetics aside I wonder are there any pitfalls with using a disk
brake hubs on a wheelset that will be used primarily used on a
cantilever bike?

Some people think it looks wierd, I don't. *Anyway, such setups I've seen
work just fine. Using hubs as you describe is not recommended use, but it's
usually no problem. *

If you want to be safe, wear a helmet. *I think you'll be fine though.

Ohhhh noooo! You have no idea what you just started with your last
comment! Good save this thread!
Old January 7th 11, 02:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Jan 6, 5:29*pm, Jay Beattie wrote:
[...]

That's the point of this thread--using disc hubs in a rim brake
context. Yes, four bolt rotors are impossible to find--but that's
still a sweet DT hub, for $30, if you can live with a useless chunk of
aluminum on one side.