It's all the flat's fault!

Old September 22nd 04, 06:12 PM
Badger_South

On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 16:45:24 GMT, the black rose
wrote:

Badger_South wrote:
one-person job, but then she comments that she's got a floor pump in her
car.

Hot diggity.

You -got- to be kidding. I -dream- of stuff like this happening. g (er,
not the part about the flat, though)

Yeah, I hear you -- I mean, what were the odds?

Just remember, carry your floor pump around when you go driving - carry on
the tradition, eh?

Not a bad idea, but I'd probably leave it in the van for DH to drive off
with. I have a mind like a steel, uh, sieve. :-)

Seriously, though, hey, even if you don't ride the first couple, you can
show up for meetings and get the routes and train on them, and maybe meet a
biking buddy. Plus it would be neat to volunteer a couple times to be the
sag wagon if they have one and have drinks and stuff for everyone, eh?

The local club is for the casual/recreational folks, so actually, I
might do okay. Apparently they do a lot of D rides. The next town over
(15 mi up the highway) has the club for the gearheads; you gotta be at
least a B-rider to join.

-km

Hmm. Ok, if a B ride is 18-20mph, and a C is 15mph. What's a D given the
very hilly nature of your area?

Here's the list from the Tidewater Va area, but that seems slow, IIRC from
other schedules, given that there are no hills:

A = 19 to 21 mph (with very few stops),
B = 16 to 18 mph,
C = 13 5o 15 mph,
D = 10 to 12 mph (with plenty of stops).

-B

Old September 22nd 04, 07:03 PM
Bill Sornson

the black rose wrote:

{snip}

And it's all the flat's fault.

That's what you get for MAKING me download Service Pack 2!

Bill "circumstantial karma" S.

Old September 22nd 04, 07:55 PM
Badger_South

On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 13:09:06 -0400, Luigi de Guzman
wrote:

Badger_South wrote:

On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 14:02:11 GMT, the black rose
wrote:

So I get the tube replaced with the spare, get the wheel back on the
bike, and I'm hunched over pumping away with my frame pump. *puff*
*puff* *puff* (that's me, not the pump -- good aerobic exercise, this)
A dark red sedan of some sort pulls over ahead of me and an older lady
gets out. As she gets closer, I notice she's wearing cycling shorts.

She's just come from the local club Tuesday ride and offers to help. At
this point, I'm not sure I need much help, as inflating the tire is a
one-person job, but then she comments that she's got a floor pump in her
car.

Hot diggity.

You -got- to be kidding. I -dream- of stuff like this happening. g (er,
not the part about the flat, though)

I dream about stuff like this, but with a younger woman coming out in
bikeshorts, bearing a floor pump and a cold beer.

now that's dreaming.

-Luigi

Well, yeah, that's a given, but hell, -any- woman under 50 wearing bike
shorts, and I'm good, uh, (long as she's got that cold drink, mind you.)

I take it you've seen the "I'm 50 and have a BowFlex body" commercials? g

-B

Old September 22nd 04, 08:04 PM
Beverly

"Badger_South" wrote in message
On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 16:54:16 GMT, the black rose
wrote:

This one was probably one of them. She was thoroughly tanned from years
in the saddle. If I had to guess I'd say she was 70-ish, give or take a
few. But you never know with some folks.

And there I was, with my beginner's tan -- 8 inches of tan from the hem
of my shorts to the bottom of my knee, shins still about 10 shades
lighter. I look wierd. It's the native American genes I got from my
father -- I tan fast, I tan dark, I tan red. But apparently my lower
legs aren't getting nearly as much sun as my upper. My knees are a
shade of dark that any sunworshipper would envy. My shins look like
surrender flags by comparison. :-P

-km

Hey, you're not alone. I've got these deeply tanned knees, and light
colored legs, and the tan on my arms is weird, it goes from the wrist,

from
wearing cycling gloves, to the shoulder - I switched to sleeveless jerseys
to avoid tan marks half-way up the upper arm.

But that's nothing, ya gotta feel sorry for those bald guys or shaven

heads
who go out and get a sun-burn in the shape of the vents in their bike
helmet! g

-B

In addition to the wierd tan on the legs and arms I have no tan on the face
due to the visor on the helmetg

What I like to see are the guys with thinning hair when they take their
helmet off and it's standing straight up from being swept up into the helmet
vents. They look like an old dude with spikes

Old September 22nd 04, 08:09 PM
Beverly

"Badger_South" wrote in message
On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 10:26:53 -0400, "Beverly"
wrote:

Watch out for those "older ladies" - some of them can run your wheels

offg
We have several members of our patrol group who are older than me (I'm

61)
and I sometimes have a tough time keeping up with them. One fellow

around
65 thinks nothing of riding 300+ miles a week. He's retired and rides
everyday.

That's OK, those kind of riders are really cool and will make sure you
won't get dropped when you first start.

That 65 y.o.? In a couple years, that will be me (although at
50-something!). Heh, heh. We have a cycling club here at Virginia and I'm
already on their mailing list, and will be joining next year. They're all
20 year olds and skinny, but even if I get dropped, at least I'll start

out
with them, and learn their routes.

I like riding with the 65 y.o. I just make sure I go on the days he's not
into high mileage. I've learned a lot about biking from him and the others
in the group. Many of them have 40+ years of biking experience and they're
willing to share it with you.

In the spring, I plan on going down to Tidewater, Va and doing some rides
in Chesapeake with the club down there, which I believe is mostly flat
terrain, but by then my speed should be up to at least "B" level,
consistently. Plus, training 'at altitude' g in the Piedmont, with the
many little hills - boy, maybe I'll be smokin' somebody!

My daughter and I will be in the Chesapeake area in a couple of weeks.
We're going to do the Chesapeake Bay Bridge ride again. We did it in '99
and are headed back to do it again.

Beverly

-B
PS, you go, blackrose!

Old September 22nd 04, 08:35 PM
Bill Baka

wrote:

[...]

Yeah, I saw it and drooled too. Why didn't my wife look like that at 50?
If I bought her a BowFlex she would probably put flowers on it.
Bill Baka

Fortunately she doesn't read this group.

Old September 22nd 04, 08:36 PM
Badger_South

On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 15:09:24 -0400, "Beverly"
wrote:

In the spring, I plan on going down to Tidewater, Va and doing some rides
in Chesapeake with the club down there, which I believe is mostly flat
terrain, but by then my speed should be up to at least "B" level,
consistently. Plus, training 'at altitude' g in the Piedmont, with the
many little hills - boy, maybe I'll be smokin' somebody!

My daughter and I will be in the Chesapeake area in a couple of weeks.
We're going to do the Chesapeake Bay Bridge ride again. We did it in '99
and are headed back to do it again.

Beverly

A couple weeks? The even it -this- weekend (10/2) and I'll be there!

I'll probably do the Tidewater bike club ride that follows, going to Cape
Charles (33 miles) and back.

My brother and I will look for you. What kind of car do you drive, or
something to know to look for to find you? We'll be in a large, grey Chevy
Truck, with scaffolding bars on top, and should be in the parking lot
around 7am.

-B

Old September 22nd 04, 08:50 PM
Beverly

wrote:

[...]

Look for a dark blue Chevy Venture van with Ohio license plates and a bike
rack on the back. We'll probably be rolling out of bed around 7:00am.
Look for a 61 year old on a Trek 1800C and a grumpy 40 yo on a red Giant
hybridG

Beverly

Old September 22nd 04, 08:54 PM
Badger_South

On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 15:50:19 -0400, "Beverly"
wrote:

My brother and I will look for you. What kind of car do you drive, or
something to know to look for to find you? We'll be in a large, grey Chevy
Truck, with scaffolding bars on top, and should be in the parking lot
around 7am.

-B

Look for a dark blue Chevy Venture van with Ohio license plates and a bike
rack on the back. We'll probably be rolling out of bed around 7:00am.
Look for a 61 year old on a Trek 1800C and a grumpy 40 yo on a red Giant
hybridG

Beverly

Oh, I forgot what today's date was. It is next week, so you're correct.

(I'm heading down to Va Beach this weekend to get in some additional
riding, so I got confused a little.)

I presume you're coming from the Northern Neck/Maryland end?

If I see you, I'll hollar! ;-)

-B

Old September 22nd 04, 08:59 PM
Beverly

wrote:

[...]

We're going to Kent Island the day before to do some riding near
Stevensville,MD and then head on down to the bridge ride.

I'll wave if I hear that hollar

I had to look at my calendar to be sure I wasn't running behind on plans for
the tripg

Beverly