Road bike for Dad and Daughter

Old August 8th 04, 06:29 AM
Starpower

Default Road bike for Dad and Daughter

I'm 6'3" and weigh 230lbs., my daughter is 5'3" and weighs 105lbs. She's
still growing and hopefully I'm moving in the other direction (weight wise).
Looking for good bikes, solid build, comfortable - use your judgement on
these considerations.

Willing to spend approx. $2500 for my bike and something less than that for
my daughter's. What manufactures components do you recommend. I'll do the
research and welcome your experience and feedback.

Thanks. I look forward to your responses.

Mark

Old August 8th 04, 07:42 AM
Mike Jacoubowsky

I'm 6'3" and weigh 230lbs., my daughter is 5'3" and weighs 105lbs. She's
still growing and hopefully I'm moving in the other direction (weight

wise).
Looking for good bikes, solid build, comfortable - use your judgement on
these considerations.

Willing to spend approx. $2500 for my bike and something less than that

for
my daughter's. What manufactures components do you recommend. I'll do

the
research and welcome your experience and feedback.

Mark: Your best bet is to get recommendations for a good local shop in your
area and see what they have to say (and then you can bring your questions
back to the group here). There are a lot of very nice bikes out there, but
even more important is the need to be properly fit and have changes made as
required because you're a somewhat "sturdier" guy.

A really good shop is going to be aware of the opportunities for riding in
your area, and will help you figure out what you'd like to do on a bike.
What you want to avoid is a shop where they're more interested in telling
you how *they* ride rather than figuring out what your own dreams are.

Also, this may not be the best place for such questions; probably better
directed at rec.bicycles.misc I would think.

And finally, many have found this particular article on our website very
useful for evaluating both shops and bikes-
www.ChainReaction.com/roadbiketestrides.htm. It's actually brand & material
neutral (unlike a lot of our site, where my strong liking for TREK
carbon-fiber bikes is very apparent).

Hope this helps-

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Old August 8th 04, 10:25 PM
Tom Kunich

"hold my beer and watch this..." wrote in message
http://www.bikesdirect.com/

You don't direct someone to a web site bike purchase if they aren't
experienced enough to know what to buy.

Old August 10th 04, 02:26 AM
Starpower

Mike, thanks bunches for your advice and guidance. I'll take your
suggestions and check out the other group you referred to me.

What would you say the primary or target audience of this group is?

Mark
news

Old August 15th 04, 06:58 AM
Mike Jacoubowsky

Mike, thanks bunches for your advice and guidance. I'll take your
suggestions and check out the other group you referred to me.

What would you say the primary or target audience of this group is?

Boy, I'm really surprised nobody jumped at the chance to answer that one!
Rec.bicycles.racing exists mainly as a home to Lance fans, and those who
like to make fun of Lance fans... at least during June, July and the first
half of August. The rest of the year? I'll let others try their hand at
defining the purpose of this newsgroup.

Old August 16th 04, 10:25 AM
Donald Munro

Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:
Boy, I'm really surprised nobody jumped at the chance to answer that one!
Rec.bicycles.racing exists mainly as a home to Lance fans, and those who
like to make fun of Lance fans... at least during June, July and the first
half of August. The rest of the year? I'll let others try their hand at
defining the purpose of this newsgroup.

Educational discussion of the application of pre-race doughnut loading and
doping to the sport of cycling.

Old August 24th 04, 11:37 AM
Andrew Price

Mike Jacoubowsky wrote -

I'll let others try their hand at
defining the purpose of this newsgroup.

Its what you read when you have or are contemplating pinning a number on
your back and chancing your arm (perhaps legs, more accurately) - and I
don't care at what level. what age or what the event is.

To compete is the heart of cycling.

When you have some fitness, some miles under your belt and don't get fussed
when someone bumps against you in a sprint, its time to go looking for a
race. Its not without its risks but there are very real rewards and
discoveries you will make, not least about yourself.

No known cure for the disease.

Many thanks to the Waratah Vets for initiating me into the tribe.

best, Andrew