Road rage incident near Haverhill sparks police hunt for cyclist

Old July 11th 20, 10:50 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_6_]

Default Road rage incident near Haverhill sparks police hunt for cyclist

QUOTE:
Police are on the hunt for a cyclist after an incident on a country road which left a driver with a damaged rear door on his car.

Cambridgeshire police says it is investigating a report of ‘public order and criminal damage’ that took place near West Wratting on June 8.

The 70-year-old driver of the car, who lives in Linton but does not wish to be named, said the incident on the B1052 where it enters West Wratting left his wife ‘extremely stressed’, adding that the attacker ‘needs to be caught’.

Describing the incident, a statement from Cambridgeshire police said: “It was reported that the victim, a man in his 70s, was driving along the B1052 when he approached a group of cyclists and sounded his horn to alert them that he was close by and about to overtake.(BAD MOVE -SM)

“At this point, it’s reported one cyclist pulled out into the road and stopped, bringing the driver to a halt.

“The cyclist then lifted his bike and began shouting verbal abuse towards the driver.

“As the victim attempted to drive off, damage was caused to the vehicle causing a dent to one of the rear passenger doors.

“The suspect has then got back on his bike and continued riding in the direction of West Wratting.

“No arrests have been made and the investigation is ongoing.”

The victim said the incident left a ‘significant dent’ in a rear door panel of his car’s passenger door – which he estimates will cost £300 to £400 to repair – and happened when he and his wife were taking their first drive out for months. They had both been shielding because of Covid-19.

He added: “The damage to my wife is inestimable. She is actually terrified of me actually talking to anyone about this. She has been destroyed by this.

“She was really distressed.

“I think from the public’s perspective he needs to be caught. Can you imagine that someone can stop a car in the middle of the road and use his bike to bang the side of the car and then get off scot-free. I don’t think that is reasonable.”

https://www.haverhillecho.co.uk/news...ident-9115903/
Old July 11th 20, 02:20 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_12_]

On 11/07/2020 10:50, Simon Mason wrote:
[...]

But... but... but... cyclists are incapable of doing anything wrong....
Old July 11th 20, 02:35 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_6_]

On Saturday, July 11, 2020 at 10:50:12 AM UTC+1, Simon Mason wrote:

He added: “The damage to my wife is inestimable. She is actually terrified of me actually talking to anyone about this. She has been destroyed by this.

“She was really distressed.

Not as "distressed" as cyclists get when impatient drivers pass too close sounding their horns like the selfish dicks they are.
Old July 11th 20, 03:08 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_12_]

On 11/07/2020 14:35, Simon Mason wrote:
On Saturday, July 11, 2020 at 10:50:12 AM UTC+1, Simon Mason wrote:

He added: “The damage to my wife is inestimable. She is actually terrified of me actually talking to anyone about this. She has been destroyed by this.

“She was really distressed.

Not as "distressed" as cyclists get when impatient drivers pass too close sounding their horns like the selfish dicks they are.

In what way were the criminals on their fairy-bikes "entitled" to cause
that woman such distress?

Was she driving?
Old July 11th 20, 05:50 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_6_]

On Saturday, July 11, 2020 at 2:35:14 PM UTC+1, Simon Mason wrote:
On Saturday, July 11, 2020 at 10:50:12 AM UTC+1, Simon Mason wrote:

He added: “The damage to my wife is inestimable. She is actually terrified of me actually talking to anyone about this. She has been destroyed by this.

“She was really distressed.

Not as "distressed" as cyclists get when impatient drivers pass too close sounding their horns like the selfish dicks they are.

COMMENTS:

Mungecrundle | 1850 posts | 4 hours ago
6 likes

More like his wife is now terrified of his driving which has fallen below any acceptable standard after months of not going out.

"...sounded his horn to alert them that he was close by and about to overtake" is not a courtesy beep from some way back to notify of presence, which most cylists understand and appreciate. It is an aggressive "get out of my way I'm coming past, safe or not, whether you like it or not".

If the picture in the newspaper article is of the "offender" then it is most likely a still from a video dash cam. Would be interesting to see the entire footage, though one suspects if the driver was totally out of order, that plod would not be pursuing it.

https://road.cc/content/news/police-...cyclist-275369
Old July 12th 20, 02:14 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_12_]

On 11/07/2020 17:50, Simon Mason wrote:
[...]

So you were one of the obstructive fairy-cycle riders, were you?
Old July 12th 20, 05:48 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mike Collins

On Saturday, 11 July 2020 14:19:48 UTC+1, JNugent wrote:
[...]

And there is no evidence any of the cyclists did anything wrong.
Old July 12th 20, 11:15 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_6_]

Achtervolger replied to AidanR | 25 posts | 14 hours ago
4 likes
Bullies make the world's greatest victims. You're all being very even-handed about this - I'm going to jump in and speculate. I hope the police are also even handed and I hope the cyclist(s) comes forward.

Bullies are not above hiding behind other people the moment trouble arises from their actions: partners and children not excepted. I think the bit about not speaking to anyone and then it somehow finding its way into the local paper is the most telling. Also "Inestimable"?

This is no innocent motorist, he knows fine he's done wrong with an iffy overtake, someone has over-boiled and is now he is trying to minimise and distract from his actions - surely "pensioner" " grandfather" "war veteran" " former GP" in the newspaper account?

https://road.cc/content/news/police-...cyclist-275369

Old July 12th 20, 11:36 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Kerr-Mudd,John[_2_]

On Sun, 12 Jul 2020 01:14:20 GMT, JNugent
wrote:
[]
So you were one of the obstructive fairy-cycle riders, were you?

Is this your new insult-of-choice; given up on the "fully qualified
cyclist" mantra?

--
Bah, and indeed, Humbug.
Old July 12th 20, 02:26 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_12_]

On 12/07/2020 05:48, Mike Collins wrote:
[...]

Not even the one who committed the criminal damage to the property of
another?