Road bike with discs and fender mounts?

Old February 2nd 07, 10:56 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Gooserider

Default Road bike with discs and fender mounts?

Even though I'm happy with the performance of my Ultegra calipers with
salmon Kool Stops, I've been thinking about buying a rain bike with discs.
What are my choices? I've seen the Trek Portland, but that's more than I
want to spend on a bike which will essentially be a beater. There are
cyclocross bikes that fit the bill, but people have told me cyclocross bikes
ride differently than road bikes because of the high bottom bracket. So, are
there any bikes with traditional road bike geometry which have discs and
fender mounts? I don't really care about frame material. Aluminum would
seem to be the best choice for a rain bike, but I like steel, too. Of
course, Ti would be the hot ticket but I know that would get pricy.

Mike

Old February 2nd 07, 11:37 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Keats

In article ,
"Gooserider" writes:
Even though I'm happy with the performance of my Ultegra calipers with
salmon Kool Stops, I've been thinking about buying a rain bike with discs.
What are my choices?

Split the difference, and obtain thee an older,
rigid-forked MTB with old fashioned cantilever
brakes for a "rain bike". And those old fashioned
centre-pull cantilevers are a lot easier to fit
fenders around, than V-brakes.

Kool Stop salmons (or something like them) are
available for those ancient relics, too.
Even non-threaded-post pads.

But I still like the gummy cheap-o $2 black rubber pads.
They wear fast, but there's a point where they're
oh so lovely when first worn-in.

After that point, they suck. Then ya spend another $2.

cheers,
Tom

--
Nothing is safe from me.
Above address is just a spam midden.
Old February 2nd 07, 11:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Gooserider

"Tom Keats" wrote in message
In article ,
"Gooserider" writes:
Even though I'm happy with the performance of my Ultegra calipers with
salmon Kool Stops, I've been thinking about buying a rain bike with
discs.
What are my choices?

Split the difference, and obtain thee an older,
rigid-forked MTB with old fashioned cantilever
brakes for a "rain bike". And those old fashioned
centre-pull cantilevers are a lot easier to fit
fenders around, than V-brakes.

Kool Stop salmons (or something like them) are
available for those ancient relics, too.
Even non-threaded-post pads.

But I still like the gummy cheap-o $2 black rubber pads.
They wear fast, but there's a point where they're
oh so lovely when first worn-in.

After that point, they suck. Then ya spend another $2.

Thanks, Tom. I would rather go with a 700c wheeled bike, so I would be
looking at touring or cyclocross bikes. My commute is pretty long and I
don't want to do it with a flat bar, and I don't want to muck around with
trying to get an MTB to fit me properly with a drop bar. The reason I like
the Kool Stops is because of their performance, but especially because of
their lack of mess. I had to spend 20 minutes cleaning black grit off my
rins and tires when I rode the stock pads in the rain. No thanks on that.
:-)

Old February 2nd 07, 01:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Banned

On Feb 2, 4:48 am, "Gooserider" wrote:
"Tom Keats" wrote in message

In article ,
"Gooserider" writes:
[...]

I think Surley has a model that is 700c and discs...

Old February 2nd 07, 02:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Kona Sutra http://www.konaworld.com/bikes/2k7/SUTRA/index.html

Old February 2nd 07, 02:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

On Feb 2, 11:56 am, "Gooserider" wrote:
Even though I'm happy with the performance of my Ultegra calipers with
salmon Kool Stops, I've been thinking about buying a rain bike with discs.
What are my choices? I've seen the Trek Portland, but that's more than I
want to spend on a bike which will essentially be a beater. There are
cyclocross bikes that fit the bill, but people have told me cyclocross bikes
ride differently than road bikes because of the high bottom bracket. So, are
there any bikes with traditional road bike geometry which have discs and
fender mounts? I don't really care about frame material. Aluminum would
seem to be the best choice for a rain bike, but I like steel, too. Of
course, Ti would be the hot ticket but I know that would get pricy.

Mike

I was just at the LBS and they had a cool Giant they were marketing as
a winter road bike. Ultegra 9 speed, Avid disks, fenders, studded
tires, the works. I suspect it is touring geometry ,not cyclo-cross. I
can't find it on the Giant web page :-(

Joseph

Old February 2nd 07, 04:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

On Feb 2, 9:56 am, "
wrote:
[...]

Probably a NOS Giant OCR Touring

Old February 2nd 07, 11:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
David L. Johnson

On Fri, 02 Feb 2007 05:56:57 -0500, Gooserider wrote:

Even though I'm happy with the performance of my Ultegra calipers with
salmon Kool Stops, I've been thinking about buying a rain bike with discs.
What are my choices? I've seen the Trek Portland, but that's more than I
want to spend on a bike which will essentially be a beater. There are
cyclocross bikes that fit the bill, but people have told me cyclocross bikes
ride differently than road bikes because of the high bottom bracket. So, are
there any bikes with traditional road bike geometry which have discs and
fender mounts? I don't really care about frame material. Aluminum would
seem to be the best choice for a rain bike, but I like steel, too. Of
course, Ti would be the hot ticket but I know that would get pricey.

I think looking at a cross bike would be worthwhile. I think the change
in feel due to a higher bottom bracket is overstated. You still may be
spending a bunch to get one with disks, though.

Other than that, either a rigid mountain bike (great commuter bike), or
maybe some of the current crop of hybrid or city bike would work. Some of
those are actually a bargain, and some, ISTR, have disks.

--

David L. Johnson

"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by
little statesmen and philosophers and divines." --Ralph Waldo Emerson