Not a tech issue but a health/experience issue with riding

Old October 24th 07, 03:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AWN[_2_]

Default Not a tech issue but a health/experience issue with riding

I realize that this ng is for tech-related discussions but I wanted to ask
the masses is anyone has ever broken a toe or foot during riding season? I
broke 2 toes a week ago and I am curious as to how long I would need to stay
off the bike? I assume the MTB is out of the question but would low impact
road rides be such a bad thing? Upper metatarsal split in two and a slight
compression fracture on the lower falanges?? (I'm not a doc so don't quote
my anatomical references).

Anyway, the doc said I'd be off the foot for 6 weeks but I've been
walking/limping about since about the 4th day (crutches for most of the
first week but not since).

I figured because SPD shoes, etc are so stiff, it might not be such a bad
thing to be spinning. Any thoughts on this with real world examples??

Thanks!
Andrew (aka hop-along)

Old October 24th 07, 04:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
mike[_5_]

On Oct 24, 10:20 am, AWN wrote:
[...]

I had a compression fracture on my toe and could ride (not run though)
after a couple days. But my rides were fairly slow due to pain if I
tried to stand and hammer up a hill

Old October 24th 07, 07:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AWN[_2_]

Thanks! That's encouraging news indeed.
Andrew.

On 10/24/07 11:38 AM, in article
, "mike"

Old October 24th 07, 09:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Oct 24, 2:45 pm, AWN wrote:
Thanks! That's encouraging news indeed.
Andrew.

On 10/24/07 11:38 AM, in article
m, "mike"

wrote:

I had a compression fracture on my toe and could ride (not run though)
after a couple days. But my rides were fairly slow due to pain if I
tried to stand and hammer up a hill- Hide quoted text -

I too have ridden with reasonably freshly broken toes. It was all
putter around town, slow stuff however. Racing, or even hard
recreational riding was way too painful. Come to think of it, i've
raced with a broken toe as well, but that was my teenager BMX days and
I didn't want the DNF. I don't believe I won any more moto's that day
after breaking the toe.

Old October 24th 07, 10:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Scott Gordo

On Oct 24, 10:20 am, AWN wrote:
[...]

Please note that this advice is worth what you're paying for it, but
in the short-term I'd certainly consider cycling to be a better option
than walking. Just stay away from traffic if possible. Having to
suddenly unclip and put a foot down will probably have your doc tsk
tsk'ing.

Keep the gearing very low and consider it an opportunity to work on
your spin. Just might be the trick to stave off the stir craziness of
injury. Plus, bringing up your heartrate and blood flow might be the
best thing for healing.

Or the worst? I dunno.

HTH!

/s

Next issue of Uni? mark williamson Unicycling 34 October 13th 07 12:33 PM
The BIG Issue - bikes Donga Australia 8 April 29th 07 11:07 PM
French Uni Mag issue #4 Zzagg Unicycling 12 March 4th 07 11:16 PM
Citycycling.co.uk issue 21 David Martin UK 0 March 2nd 07 05:22 PM
Next issue of Uni jackzm Unicycling 1 November 9th 06 02:01 AM