Do bicycles and cars mix?

Old December 9th 03, 02:05 PM
George Conklin

Default Do bicycles and cars mix?

"Brent P" wrote in message
news:VLbBb.277166$Dw6.951730@attbi_s02...
In article , DTJ wrote:
On Mon, 08 Dec 2003 15:37:43 GMT, (Brent P)

wrote:

Wrong. You have to replace plumbing, wiring and other essentials

at that
point.

Wrong. Sure some things here and there might need to be replaced, but I
don't consider a new faucet 'replacing the plumbing'.

Boy I sure hate to sound like I agree with idiot george, but here
goes.

It is true that plumbing, wiring and other systems have a useful life.
That is why plumbing starts to leak. Copper tubing has a life
EXPECTANCY of 30 years. That does not mean it will last that long,
nor does it mean it will magically fail at that point.

Remember he is not only arguing useful life, but also arguing mandated
replacement.

I had a mandated roof replacement by the insurance company. It was not
leaking, not in one place.

Old December 9th 03, 02:09 PM
George Conklin

"Jym Dyer" wrote in message
Smart Growth is an upper class scheme to put poor people out
of reach of home ownership, while proclaming that walkability
is the goal, not a good life.

=v= So now it's a Vast Upper Class Conspiracy? George's version
of Smart Growth grows more entertaining with each posting.
_Jym_

It is a very upper class undertaking. People who are looking to buy
their first house are the ones at a disadvantage. The Sierra Club is a
upper class undertaking, and narrowly defeated an anti-immigrant platform
about 5 years ago, but it did get 40% of their vote.

Old December 9th 03, 02:10 PM
George Conklin

Default Plumbing and Wiring (was: Do bicycles and cars mix?)

"Jym Dyer" wrote in message
=v= It's encouraging to see George Conklin writing about the
often-ignored costs of maintaining plumbing and wiring.

=v= Perhaps he'll someday learn to extend his thinking to the
often-ignored costs of providing and maintaining water, sewage,
and electricity for sprawling suburban developments. Maybe a
light will dawn about how staggeringly high these costs are,
and how sneakily they must be subsidized in order for those
suburbs to be so "affordable."
_Jym_

Developers put in the new water and sewer lines, whole the old ones in
the city were put in with tax dollars, and need replacement. The goal today
is to make the newer parts of the city pay for the worn-out sewers downtown.
Locally also new developments must have private parks, while paying for
upkeep of municipal parks for other areas. The local newspaper had me write
an article about that one.

Old December 9th 03, 02:32 PM
Jym Dyer

Developers put in the new water and sewer lines, whole the
old ones in the city were put in with tax dollars, and need
replacement.

=v= So do you really believe that developers pay for that stuff
out of their own pockets? Try a modicum of research, willya?
They're getting taxpayer money for it, though they tend to call
it "incentives" instead of "subsidy."

=v= Think this through: What costs more to maintain and repair
after X number of decades of use? Water and sewer lines that
cover a small area, or water and sewer lines that are spread out
over miles and miles and miles?
_Jym_
Old December 9th 03, 02:35 PM
Jym Dyer

The Sierra Club is a upper class undertaking, and narrowly
defeated an anti-immigrant platform about 5 years ago, but
it did get 40% of their vote.

=v= I'm not sure how this became about the Sierra Club. I do
have my own issues with the Club, but for the sake of accuracy
I'll point out that John Holtzclaw and others in its sprawl
campaign have *nothing* to do with the anti-immigrant crap.
Nor does 40% of the Club's membership, most of whom chose not
to vote on the issue.
_Jym_
Old December 9th 03, 02:49 PM
RJ

Jym Dyer wrote:

=v= Think this through: What costs more to maintain and repair
after X number of decades of use? Water and sewer lines that
cover a small area, or water and sewer lines that are spread out
over miles and miles and miles?

By far the most expensive maintenance of underground utilities is in
Manhattan, due to underground congestion.

It's a U-shaped curve where moderate density is the sweet spot.
Old December 9th 03, 02:53 PM
greg byshenk

[followups trimmed]

Jym Dyer wrote:

=v= Think this through: What costs more to maintain and repair
after X number of decades of use? Water and sewer lines that
cover a small area, or water and sewer lines that are spread out
over miles and miles and miles?

To be fair, the "per mile" cost will tend to be higher in higher-
density areas.

That said, if it costs 3x as much per mile, but serves 10x as many
users per mile, it is still significantly cheaper per user.

--
greg byshenk - - Leiden, NL
hate spam? http://www.cauce.org
Old December 9th 03, 04:12 PM
Brent P

In article . net, George Conklin wrote:

What is a total replacement? My daughter had a total plumbing
replacement. It was a type of plumbing which was known to fail and flood
houses.

You didn't say that it was plumbing of inferior quality before, you
just left that out implying it was an age related failure.