Do bicycles and cars mix?

Old December 9th 03, 04:12 PM
Brent P

Default Do bicycles and cars mix?

In article . net, George Conklin wrote:

"Brent P" wrote in message
news:VLbBb.277166$Dw6.951730@attbi_s02...
In article , DTJ wrote:
On Mon, 08 Dec 2003 15:37:43 GMT, (Brent P)

wrote:

Wrong. You have to replace plumbing, wiring and other essentials

at that
point.

Wrong. Sure some things here and there might need to be replaced, but I
don't consider a new faucet 'replacing the plumbing'.

Boy I sure hate to sound like I agree with idiot george, but here
goes.

It is true that plumbing, wiring and other systems have a useful life.
That is why plumbing starts to leak. Copper tubing has a life
EXPECTANCY of 30 years. That does not mean it will last that long,
nor does it mean it will magically fail at that point.

Remember he is not only arguing useful life, but also arguing mandated
replacement.

I had a mandated roof replacement by the insurance company. It was not
leaking, not in one place.

Again, I have never heard of such a thing.
Old December 9th 03, 04:18 PM
Brent P

In article et, George Conklin wrote:

"Brent P" wrote in message

Wiring without insulation is *NOT* safe.

Knob wiring had insulation, you fool.

Doesn't change the statement asshole.

Nor does it change what you snipped.

Old December 9th 03, 04:21 PM
Brent P

In article . net, George Conklin wrote:

"Brent P" wrote in message

BULL****. If what you were saying were true nobody would get a mortgage
in the neighborhoods with 50 year old homes. They do.

Of course they can IF the building has been updated.

WRONG. Entirely wrong, entire neighborhoods in chicago and it's suburbs
prove otherwise.

Even with a
25-year-old building, I had to specify what updates I had done. Otherwise,
insurance would be a NO NO. And they sent an inspector around too.

Insurance took a look at the house pushing 50, big woop. He mandated nothing.
And this was before we did any work.

Old December 9th 03, 06:51 PM
George Conklin

"Brent P" wrote in message
In article et, George

Conklin wrote:

"Brent P" wrote in message

Wiring without insulation is *NOT* safe.

Knob wiring had insulation, you fool.

Doesn't change the statement asshole.

You are making up a situation which does not and never existed. No one
ever put wiring in a house with no insulation. Your knowledge base is
pitiful.

Old December 9th 03, 06:53 PM
George Conklin

"Brent P" wrote in message
newsvmBb.478810$HS4.3704337@attbi_s01...
In article . net, George

Conklin wrote:

What is a total replacement? My daughter had a total plumbing
replacement. It was a type of plumbing which was known to fail and

flood
houses.

You didn't say that it was plumbing of inferior quality before, you
just left that out implying it was an age related failure.

Yes, 12 years is too old for much plastic plumbing. It is an
age-related issue. Your knowledge base is very little.

Old December 9th 03, 06:54 PM
George Conklin

"Brent P" wrote in message
In article . net, George

Conklin wrote:

"Brent P" wrote in message

BULL****. If what you were saying were true nobody would get a

mortgage
in the neighborhoods with 50 year old homes. They do.

Of course they can IF the building has been updated.

WRONG. Entirely wrong, entire neighborhoods in chicago and it's suburbs
prove otherwise.

Spoken as someone who has never applied for any insurance. The simple
fact is that insurance companies insist on frequent updates these days.

Old December 9th 03, 06:57 PM
George Conklin

"Jym Dyer" wrote in message
The Sierra Club is a upper class undertaking, and narrowly
defeated an anti-immigrant platform about 5 years ago, but
it did get 40% of their vote.

=v= I'm not sure how this became about the Sierra Club. I do
have my own issues with the Club, but for the sake of accuracy
I'll point out that John Holtzclaw and others in its sprawl
campaign have *nothing* to do with the anti-immigrant crap.
Nor does 40% of the Club's membership, most of whom chose not
to vote on the issue.
_Jym_

It is all the same rap, Jym. It is just that the anti-immigrant
anti-growth movement was too open. Now they can segregate and call it good
for the animals, other than human, who are supposed to be concentrated in
cities. It is a very white group of elitists.

Old December 9th 03, 06:58 PM
George Conklin

Default Plumbing and Wiring (was: Do bicycles and cars mix?)

"Jym Dyer" wrote in message
Developers put in the new water and sewer lines, whole the
old ones in the city were put in with tax dollars, and need
replacement.

=v= So do you really believe that developers pay for that stuff
out of their own pockets? Try a modicum of research, willya?
They're getting taxpayer money for it, though they tend to call
it "incentives" instead of "subsidy."

We have no incentives for housing. An industry gets incentives, but the
workers pay the taxes for the incentives. Private develpers have to put in
all their own overheads, streets and connections. Then they pay impact fees
in addition. And where would our ever-increasing population live if we did
not build housing for them? Doubled up in old, run-down apartments like New
Delhi?

=v= Think this through: What costs more to maintain and repair
after X number of decades of use? Water and sewer lines that
cover a small area, or water and sewer lines that are spread out
over miles and miles and miles?
_Jym_

The small area is more expensive. Density costs MORE in taxes, not
less. With open areas, you can lay down water mains quickly and
efficiently. If you have to dig in Manhattan, for example, your costs are
10 times or even 20 times more.