Do bicycles and cars mix?

Old December 11th 03, 05:04 AM
DTJ

Default Do bicycles and cars mix?

On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 17:50:04 +0000 (UTC), (Steven M.
O'Neill) wrote:

Brent P wrote:
First, you are wrong, not all materials fail at some point.

What about when the sun turns into a red giant?

Won't affect any steel at all around Alpha Centauri.
Old December 11th 03, 12:08 PM
Clark F. Morris, Jr.

Default Do bicycles and cars mix? (Sierra Club and Sprawl)

George Conklin wrote:
"vlj" wrote in message

"Jym Dyer" sez:

George Conklin on the Sierra Club:

It is all the same rap, Jym. It is just that the
anti-immigrant anti-growth movement was too open.

=v= You really have no clue what you're talking about. The
organizers of the Sierra Club's campaign against sprawl are
excellent people, one of whom I know personally.snip

I know a lot of them personally too based upon my many decades of

supporting

my choice of public lands recreation - backcountry motorcycle riding.

My general opinion of them is that they are a bunch of elitist, naive,
bigoted jerks and that George knows exactly what he's talking about.

VLJ
--

The Sierra Club does not like people using backcountry areas. They
support animals, not human animals.

As one human living in the country, I don't want ATV's and motorcycles
fouling my water supply and eroding my land. These comments are based
on viewing the results of use on my land. Backwoods motorcycling is not
benign. Both motorcycles and ATV's can mess up agricultural land.
Hikers normally aren't that much of a problem.

Old December 11th 03, 02:21 PM
George Conklin

Default Plumbing and Wiring

"Matthew Russotto" wrote in message
In article , Jym Dyer

wrote:
By far the most expensive maintenance of underground
utilities is in Manhattan, due to underground congestion.

It's a U-shaped curve where moderate density is the sweet
spot.

=v= That certainly makes sense.

Sunny Ladd's study found this for overall taxes too.

=v= So we're all in agreement then: moderate density. Not
Manhattan, not suburban sprawl.

What you call "suburban sprawl" _is_ moderate density.

=v= In other words, precisely what New Urbanism/Smart Growth
is advocating.

Nope. New Urbanism/Smart Growth says to cram as many people as
possible within existing urban boundaries (preventing development
outside), resulting in ever-increasing density.

--

At the same time, the rural economy tanks and places like NC provide
incentives for people to move to the cities, where planners state they are

Old December 11th 03, 02:21 PM
George Conklin

"Steven M. O'Neill" wrote in message
Matthew Russotto wrote:
In article , Jym Dyer

wrote:
By far the most expensive maintenance of underground
utilities is in Manhattan, due to underground congestion.

It's a U-shaped curve where moderate density is the sweet
spot.

=v= That certainly makes sense.

Sunny Ladd's study found this for overall taxes too.

=v= So we're all in agreement then: moderate density. Not
Manhattan, not suburban sprawl.

What you call "suburban sprawl" _is_ moderate density.

Queens is moderate density.

South Bronx is the role model for density.

Old December 11th 03, 02:23 PM
George Conklin

"Clark F. Morris, Jr." wrote in message
George Conklin wrote:
"vlj" wrote in message

[...]

No one can use your land without your permission. So why did you give
permission?

Backwoods motorcycling is not
benign. Both motorcycles and ATV's can mess up agricultural land.
Hikers normally aren't that much of a problem.

Even hikers don't use your land unless you want them to.

Old December 11th 03, 02:32 PM
vlj

"Clark F. Morris, Jr." sez:

snip
As one human living in the country, I don't want ATV's and motorcycles
fouling my water supply and eroding my land.snip

The issue is public land access, not private land access.

VLJ

Old December 11th 03, 03:43 PM
Brent P

In article .net, George Conklin wrote:

No one can use your land without your permission. So why did you give
permission?

Are you one of those naive people who thinks because there is
a law against it, people automatically don't do it? There are alot
of people who simply do not respect the rights of others and could
care less about getting permission. Unless there is somebody with
a gun to stop them they're just going to do it.

Old December 11th 03, 05:45 PM
Steven M. O'Neill

George Conklin wrote:

"Steven M. O'Neill" wrote in message
Matthew Russotto wrote:
In article , Jym Dyer

wrote:
By far the most expensive maintenance of underground
utilities is in Manhattan, due to underground congestion.

It's a U-shaped curve where moderate density is the sweet
spot.

=v= That certainly makes sense.

Sunny Ladd's study found this for overall taxes too.

=v= So we're all in agreement then: moderate density. Not
Manhattan, not suburban sprawl.

What you call "suburban sprawl" _is_ moderate density.

Queens is moderate density.

South Bronx is the role model for density.

At least it's starting to recover from the attempt to destroy it
with sprawl.

--
Steven O'Neill
www.bridgetolls.org
Old December 11th 03, 06:49 PM
George Conklin

George Conklin wrote:

"Steven M. O'Neill" wrote in message
Matthew Russotto wrote:
In article , Jym Dyer

wrote:
By far the most expensive maintenance of underground
utilities is in Manhattan, due to underground congestion.

It's a U-shaped curve where moderate density is the sweet
spot.

=v= That certainly makes sense.

Sunny Ladd's study found this for overall taxes too.

=v= So we're all in agreement then: moderate density. Not
Manhattan, not suburban sprawl.

What you call "suburban sprawl" _is_ moderate density.

Queens is moderate density.

South Bronx is the role model for density.

At least it's starting to recover from the attempt to destroy it
with sprawl.

NYC creates is own problems. The population in the USA is not sprawled:
it is overconcentrated because cities like NYC have destroyed the rural
economy.

Old December 11th 03, 06:50 PM
George Conklin

"Brent P" wrote in message
In article .net, George

Conklin wrote:

No one can use your land without your permission. So why did you

give
permission?

Are you one of those naive people who thinks because there is
a law against it, people automatically don't do it? There are alot
of people who simply do not respect the rights of others and could
care less about getting permission. Unless there is somebody with
a gun to stop them they're just going to do it.

You have a perfect right to stop others from using your property. I
suggest you stop being asleep and run your own life.