Help needed!!! What kind of group is this? ~20yr Bianchi bike, Campa group.

Old July 20th 06, 08:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Help needed!!! What kind of group is this? ~20yr Bianchi bike, Campa group.

I bought this beautiful oldtimer bianchi road bike about a year ago.
It has written the name Record 920 on the frame.
I liked it so much, I took it from Germany to the US when I went there
to write my thesis.
On the way back Delta damaged the gear group in the back.

Before I can start looking for the replacement part I'd need to know
what type/year the campagnolo group is.

Pictures are posted he

http://www.physik.tu-berlin.de/~mxhf...WWW/index.html

I guess it is about 20 years old. There are no catalogs online for such
old parts.
Does anybody know, or know where to start looking, or know where to get
parts even?

I tried shops, I tried Bianchi, I tried ebay.... i think I tried the
obvious things.

Max

Old July 21st 06, 12:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Starr

On 20 Jul 2006 15:39:23 -0700, "john" wrote:

Also, I could be mistaken, but the chain appears too long. If it is too
long, it will shift better when shortened to the correct length.

My $0.02, Good luck, John

I don't think the chain is too long. from some of the pictures, it
would be just as possible to say the chain is too short. Also, not the
case. Obviously something changed, during shipping. Whether the
derailleur itself is damaged or the hanger, or just an adjustment,
hard to tell.

For the OP, have you taken it to a shop and asked them? It may be
something simple.

Life is Good!
Jeff
Old July 21st 06, 04:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
damyth

wrote:
I bought this beautiful oldtimer bianchi road bike about a year ago.
It has written the name Record 920 on the frame.
I liked it so much, I took it from Germany to the US when I went there
to write my thesis.
On the way back Delta damaged the gear group in the back.

Before I can start looking for the replacement part I'd need to know
what type/year the campagnolo group is.

Pictures are posted he

http://www.physik.tu-berlin.de/~mxhf...WWW/index.html

I guess it is about 20 years old. There are no catalogs online for such
old parts.
Does anybody know, or know where to start looking, or know where to get
parts even?

I tried shops, I tried Bianchi, I tried ebay.... i think I tried the
obvious things.

Max

Look he

http://www.campyonly.com/history/catalogs/1987.html
http://www.campyonly.com/images/cata...ory_S30003.jpg
http://www.campyonly.com/images/cata...ory_S30004.jpg

Have a good shop look at it. Like other people said earlier, could be
a simple as a bent derailleur hanger, which is easy and cheap to fix.
The shifting should also improve with a (more) modern derailleur based
on the slant parallelogram design. I had a similar bike bike in the
day.

Old July 21st 06, 05:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JeffWills

Diablo Scott wrote:

Yeah, definitely Victory or Triomphe for the crank and ders, Victory
cranks had a self-extractor,

The crank has a self-extractor, so it's probably all Victory. Second
(?) lowest in that era's Campy line, lowest being Triomphe.

From the looks of the rear derailleur, I'd suspect that the cast stop

on the rear derailleur has been sheared off. This pictu
http://www.physik.tu-berlin.de/~mxhf...s/img_4729.jpg
shows an intact stop on the derailleur hanger, so a replacement is in
order. IIRC, this was a weak point of these derailleurs. I could be
worng, though- those are 17-year-old memories, and I ain't getting any
younger.

Jeff

Old July 21st 06, 01:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Art Harris

john wrote:
Is your purpose to totally restore it to new condition?
If not, you can use a newer & probably superior derailleur for less
money.

I agree in principle, but a modern derailleur might have to be modified
slightly to work with his wide chain. It looks like he's got a 7-speed
system. Also, if his shifters are friction rather than indexed, his
choice of derailleur would be greater (Shimano, Sun Tour, etc. as well
as Campy).

Art Harris

Old July 21st 06, 04:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Wow,

thanks you all you guys!!!

Ok the pedals are actually shimano (brrrr, I know) and quit new.
Yes there is this little ring around the screw which fixes the hangar
the frame.
The ring is about 7mm wide. It had this thing sticking out at one side
which
held the hanger in place. The ring had little teeth at one side and
could be positioned in three different positions for different chain
lengths.
It is the only thing which is broken.
It very small, very simple....but still difficult to get.
I will now dig through the catalogs you sent me.

Thanks again!

Max

Old July 21st 06, 04:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Hi Jeff,

thank you!

I assume the cast stop is this little ring with the thing sticking out
which pushes against the little knob shown in that picture?
The "thing" broke off that ring.

Any idea where I could get a cast stop?

Max

JeffWills wrote:
Diablo Scott wrote:

Yeah, definitely Victory or Triomphe for the crank and ders, Victory
cranks had a self-extractor,

The crank has a self-extractor, so it's probably all Victory. Second
(?) lowest in that era's Campy line, lowest being Triomphe.

From the looks of the rear derailleur, I'd suspect that the cast stop