Groupsets

Old March 21st 11, 04:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Ryan Cousineau

Default Groupsets

On Friday, March 18, 2011 5:15:10 AM UTC-7, sam wrote:
In article 2251064d-a018-4d92-9c0d-
,
says...

On Thursday, March 17, 2011 2:50:48 PM UTC-7, sam wrote:
So what's the verdict on SRAM?

As for SRAM, the people I know who've used it seem to be quietly happy with it. I'm not sure I see a unique selling point for it (unless it's cheap), but that's hardly an indictment.

However, Cyclingnews recently posted a review of SRAM Force, the penultimate group, which they gave a "4" on their rating scale, which goes from 4 to 5.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/reviews/s...-road-groupset

This may not tell you much about SRAM Force, but it does give us an excuse to explain the subtle art of reading a buff-book tech review and extracting actual data. Follow along as I parse selected quotes...

[snark]
Awesome. Thanks for the good info.

I posted an edited version of this elsewhere, and some SRAM-loving friends all came out and said they loved it, specifically citing its usefulness in cyclocross (I'm not sure why CX; I've asked them to explain).

I haven't ridden a SRAM bike yet, but I would not turn a bike down for having it. My main road race bike has a Shimagnolo setup with Campy-9 shifters, which I like a lot. My CX bike has 105, which I like just fine, and my commuter bike has friction DT shifters, which I like just fine.

Groupsets sam[_9_] Racing 5 March 24th 11 06:08 PM
Groupsets Ryan Cousineau Racing 7 March 21st 11 09:21 AM
Groupsets Ryan Cousineau Racing 0 March 19th 11 05:13 PM
Groupsets and prices D.M. Procida UK 64 October 20th 07 01:59 AM
Shimano groupsets Chris Walters UK 8 April 26th 04 08:33 PM