in praise of standards

Old June 8th 20, 01:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default in praise of standards

As Mr Brown often noted, standards are great so we ought to
have a bunch of them:

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/interv...36-wheels.html

If every imaginable thing is a standard what meaning does
that hold?
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old June 8th 20, 02:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Monday, 8 June 2020 08:26:11 UTC-4, AMuzi wrote:
As Mr Brown often noted, standards are great so we ought to
have a bunch of them:

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/interv...36-wheels.html

If every imaginable thing is a standard what meaning does
that hold?
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

So, gearing choices have pretty much run the gamut unless chainstays are lengthened so that dropout spacing can be increased to allow even more cogs on a rear wheel. To sell more bikes manufacturers are touting the fantastic 1x? system of gearing. Sometime in t he future we'll be seeing a great push to make derailleur + internal gearing on the same bike a new standard. Once they get to a certain new wheel size the manufacturers will revert to the old standard of one wheel being larger than the other = something like the Cannondale MTBs with a 26" front and a 24" rear.

Bicycle manufacturer board room meeting. "Gotta sell more bikes so we'll make/say older is obsolete. Once everyone is on the latest greatest for a few years we'll reintroduce the older setups."

Cheers

Old June 8th 20, 04:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Monday, June 8, 2020 at 2:44:07 PM UTC+1, Sir Ridesalot wrote:

Sometime in t he future we'll be seeing a great push to make derailleur + internal gearing on the same bike a new standard.

You're probably too young to remember, Ridealot, but 5+3 (or whatever combination; Slow Johnny will look it up for us) as in 5 internal hub gears coupled with a cluster of three external gears was the big thing from Sturmey Archer a long time ago, again more recently (it was offered by my fave German baukast as an alternative to Rohloff 20-30 years ago), and is probably still offered as an OEM group to manufacturers of commuting bikes.

Andre Jute
The view beyond my street corner is entrancing
Old June 8th 20, 04:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 6/8/2020 10:34 AM, Andre Jute wrote:
On Monday, June 8, 2020 at 2:44:07 PM UTC+1, Sir Ridesalot wrote:

Sometime in t he future we'll be seeing a great push to make derailleur + internal gearing on the same bike a new standard.

You're probably too young to remember, Ridealot, but 5+3 (or whatever combination; Slow Johnny will look it up for us) as in 5 internal hub gears coupled with a cluster of three external gears was the big thing from Sturmey Archer a long time ago, again more recently (it was offered by my fave German baukast as an alternative to Rohloff 20-30 years ago), and is probably still offered as an OEM group to manufacturers of commuting bikes.

Andre Jute
The view beyond my street corner is entrancing

True but trite.
Just because some product has been made, sold and then found
wanting by an older generation has no bearing on its
trendiness potential. Didn't you once work in marketing?

Snuff, for example.

Electric automobiles.
Denim which was declassé before it became the uniform of a
generation.
Bicycles generally. They wax and wane to an astounding extent.
[in USA] Espresso coffee, which almost entirely disappeared
before it became ubiquitous.

Old June 9th 20, 07:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Monday, June 8, 2020 at 4:45:49 PM UTC+1, AMuzi wrote:
[...]

Sure. I'm alive and well in Franki-boy's fridge, and his garage, and his wardrobe, and on his television. But I was too fertile in ideas to need bringing back old ideas just to look busy. A distinguished American writer hired by a film company who owed me political favors to be my mentor when I decided to be a novelist once wrote to me, bitterly, 'Your accursed fecundity will forever prevent you being published." Two years later I two books on the best seller lists, and a rolling contract for three more with the most prestigious publishers in the world, Martin Secker & Warburg in London, and in the rest of his career he published a single novel which sank without a trace. Years later the film executive who hired him, staying with us here in Ireland, asked me if, despite the fact that we didn't get along, I learned anything from that man in the year his contract with the film corporation lasted and I said offhand -- we were walking up a mountain at the time and I had to watch my footing -- "Oh yeah, I learned everything important from him." He wanted to know what "everything" was, and I said, "See, he taught me by his example how a writer *shouldn't* behave, any kind of an artist really. All my life I had been indulged because people believe brilliance rubs off; it spoils you, and his talent had soured on him because he couldn't live up to the expectations all around him. He was always watching everyone else, consumed by the envy that wrecked his judgement and his life and his career. It came to me that envy at that level is an outward expression of the fear which immobilized him. I stopped worrying about what anyone except my wife thought, and immediately I became more productive, which of course caused him to hate me even more."

Snuff, for example.

When was that? I was big in tobacco and liquor, because they're very profitable accounts, but I missed the rise of snuff.

Electric automobiles.

I drove a Baker for its last run before being restored and retiring in splendor to a museum. Bloody thing tried to electrocute me.

Denim which was declassé before it became the uniform of a
generation.

Sure. I had something to do with that revival as a schoolboy intern sitting in on a meeting about a client with a warehouse full of unsold jeans. (By siting in, I mean I was sitting on the floor waiting to be told to bring coffee or a cuttings book or something.) I made a good part of my reputation as a boy genius when I was still a boy.

Bicycles generally. They wax and wane to an astounding extent.

I'm not surprised. I was never so desperate that I would take a bicycle account. Even making a clown whose qualification for office is his wife's inherited fortune a governor or even a senator is easier than resurrecting a lost cause.

[in USA] Espresso coffee, which almost entirely disappeared
before it became ubiquitous.

Hardly. The Americano is an espresso which has imbibed more than its share of water without the benefice of additional essence of caffein. See, an advertising executive, above the level the boutiques aspire to, operates at the intersection of creativity, mass psychology and inevitably economics, which serendipitously happened to be my specialties. In addition, any large international agency is of necessity a sort of management consultancy, especially in decision-making processes where an elevated command of applied probability is essential, and my chosen fields of mass motivation and demographics are both statistical arts wielded with a good deal more style than mere mathematical technicians can command. (And don't talk to me about engineers, who think statistics give one final answers, which is a betrayal of probability. H) You'd be amazed at how a statistical study opens up alternative ways of seeing things, or backing up what you'd already seen before you commissioned the study. It doesn't matter whether the chicken or the eggs comes first, the proof of the pudding is in the eating, as in my remark about espresso above, which is what my associates used to call, "A money remark by Andre." You may consider it a trite remark, but a food executive whose previous job was in soap thought he saw a blinding light when I said that -- and his powdered coffee account was worth over thirty million dollars every year (as in 1970 dollars, not today's degraded paper), of which we instantly took 16% off the top, which justified me sitting in; I never gave another minute's worth of thought to the coffee group, but the coffee product manager got to be marketing director and gave us all his company's business and for several hundred million -- remember the 16% (and change, actually, plus certain of our services were not covered by the commission but charged at hourly rates) off the top? -- I would go to his parties and bring an art director and Andy Warhol to give his wife interior decorating tips, and spend an afternoon trying to correct his golf swing (I was a scratch golfer), and take his two teenage kids, who were actually useful sailors, as deckhands on the Bermuda run out of Newport. The coffee account probably paid about three-quarters of my salary and bonuses and benefits, not a bad return for an hour's work with campari-soda in my hand, but the rest was almost pure gravy for the shareholders, routine work that never saw a crises and thus didn't require my expensive attention.

Old June 11th 20, 04:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andy

On Monday, June 8, 2020 at 7:26:11 AM UTC-5, AMuzi wrote:
As Mr Brown often noted, standards are great so we ought to
have a bunch of them:

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/interv...36-wheels.html

If every imaginable thing is a standard what meaning does
that hold?
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

With a 36 inch wheel, would you need a ladder to get on?

:-)

Andy
Old June 11th 20, 04:41 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

On Wed, 10 Jun 2020 20:29:18 -0700 (PDT), Andy
wrote:

On Monday, June 8, 2020 at 7:26:11 AM UTC-5, AMuzi wrote:
As Mr Brown often noted, standards are great so we ought to
have a bunch of them:

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/interv...36-wheels.html

If every imaginable thing is a standard what meaning does
that hold?
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

With a 36 inch wheel, would you need a ladder to get on?

:-)

Andy

How to "get on" even larger wheels :-)
http://www.hiwheel.com/
--
cheers,

John B.

Old June 11th 20, 05:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ralph Barone[_4_]

Andy wrote:
On Monday, June 8, 2020 at 7:26:11 AM UTC-5, AMuzi wrote:
As Mr Brown often noted, standards are great so we ought to
have a bunch of them:

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/interv...36-wheels.html

If every imaginable thing is a standard what meaning does
that hold?
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

With a 36 inch wheel, would you need a ladder to get on?

:-)

Andy

Nah. With long chain stays and innovative headtube design, you could
probably build a bike where both the seat and the handlebars were below the
tops of the tires.

Old June 11th 20, 05:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Thursday, 11 June 2020 00:04:48 UTC-4, Ralph Barone wrote:
Andy wrote:
On Monday, June 8, 2020 at 7:26:11 AM UTC-5, AMuzi wrote:
As Mr Brown often noted, standards are great so we ought to
have a bunch of them:

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/interv...36-wheels.html

If every imaginable thing is a standard what meaning does
that hold?
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

With a 36 inch wheel, would you need a ladder to get on?

:-)

Andy

Nah. With long chain stays and innovative headtube design, you could
probably build a bike where both the seat and the handlebars were below the
tops of the tires.

A recumbent?

Cheers

In praise of the LBS Simon Mason[_4_] UK 21 August 14th 11 01:49 AM
Now let us praise famous men Andre Jute[_2_] Techniques 0 June 1st 08 11:39 PM
LBS praise Henry Lockwood UK 0 April 8th 08 10:32 AM
in praise of sjs cycles Peter UK 2 June 5th 06 09:03 PM
In praise of the 28 Mikefule Unicycling 6 January 27th 04 09:34 AM