A Cycling & bikes forum. CycleBanter.com

Go Back   Home » CycleBanter.com forum » rec.bicycles » Techniques
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Electric Bikes

Old June 11th 21, 12:19 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Electric Bikes

On Tuesday, June 8, 2021 at 7:24:26 PM UTC-5, John B. wrote:
On Tue, 8 Jun 2021 11:51:16 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Saturday, June 5, 2021 at 7:08:28 PM UTC-5, John B. wrote:
On Sat, 5 Jun 2021 11:32:41 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Friday, June 4, 2021 at 6:18:01 PM UTC-5, John B. wrote:
On Fri, 4 Jun 2021 10:47:24 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Thursday, June 3, 2021 at 7:19:28 PM UTC-5, John B. wrote:
On Thu, 3 Jun 2021 15:51:28 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 6/3/2021 11:22 AM, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Thursday, June 3, 2021 at 8:03:51 AM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 6/2/2021 8:05 PM, John B. wrote:
On Wed, 2 Jun 2021 18:25:00 -0400, Frank Krygowski wrote:

One acquaintance of mine has an all-electric car and a very large solar
array on his house. His system is set up to first recharge the car. When
the car is topped up, the system sends electricity back to the power
company, reducing his bill. He's very happy with it.

Out of curiosity has your acquaintance ever calculated the pay back on
the system?
Not as far as I know, and I doubt the payback matters to him.. He's
extremely committed to environmental issues. For him, his system is just
The Right Thing To Do.

What is the environmental damage from the construction and then destruction of solar panel arrays? This is not a minor problem. Do you have any idea of the maintenance problem of large dams? ...

Not to mention the environmental damage from mining and burning coal,
drilling for oil, converting huge portions of our corn crop into fuel...

Errr... I believe that the corn turned into fuel is grown in addition
to the normal crop grown for food. In fact I remember the loud shouts
of joy when the farmers found that they could get paid for growing
even more corn to be turn into alchol:-)

Yes. But the over production of corn for fuel leads to lower prices for corn, which might, likely does decrease the net income of said farmers. They are too successful at producing grains that are not really needed. Then the US government has to make higher crop subsidy payments instead of putting the money to pay off the debt. Or offer health insurance to those with none. Or some other wasteful thing. Like new military jet planes. Trump gave many billions of dollars to farmers to buy votes and subsidize them. And growing more corn than we need also introduces more chemicals and fertilizers into the soil which poisons our water. Too much poison in the water is harder to deal with than too little poison.

Have a look at
https://www.macrotrends.net/2532/cor...cal-chart-data
which shows corn prices over the past 60 years and the level seems to
have risen some 560% during that period.

--
Cheers,

John B.

That equals a 11.12% annual return/increase in price. Seed corn, what you need to start with to grow the corn crop, probably also increased a similar expense. Tractor to plant, plus the planter itself, plus the combine and corn head to harvest the corn, plus the wagons to haul the corn from the field to the elevator in town, also have to be paid for to operate as a business. Assuming you bought all this machinery on loans, interest to pay the bank. Then add in personal living expenses like a house and car to drive to the grocery store, and groceries to feed yourself, utilities gas and electric, clothes, Sunday morning church offering, etc. Farm land prices and rents have also increased considerably in the past 60 years. Got to pay for the land to farm.

https://www.ssa.gov/oact/cola/central.html
Above is a link to Average and Median USA incomes from 1991 to 2019. Just half the 60 years from your corn price reply. Average/Median in the USA went from 20.9/15 thousand in 1991 to 51.9/34 thousand in 2019. Less annual increase for the whole USA than for corn prices. But still 2.5 or 2.3 increase in less than 30 years. Compared to your corn increase of 5.6 in 60 years. Somewhat close.

Dow Jones average was around 5,662 in May 1960. Its now 34,756 in June 2021. I just found some rough numbers. No precise dates so don't get too exact with me. 5,662 to 34,756 in 61 years (close to your 60 year corn numbers) is an increase of 614%. Fairly comparable to your 560% corn increase over 60 years. So commodity prices like corn have increased at about the same price as financial stocks. Maybe the same applies to commodities like iron, cotton, lumber, silver too.

Now to the point, maybe. Corn is grown by farmers and corn is used to feed people and animals. And the animals that eat the corn are used by people. So corn is a useful commodity. And with lots more people on earth than there were 60 years ago, it should be more valuable today. More people need more corn. But corn has just gone up in value about like everything else. Not more even though its become more important with the world wide growth in population. So corn prices are depressed!!!!

I see your rationalization but I'm not sure that it is accurate as a
very large proportion of the world's population do not eat corn nor do
they feed animals on corn. In fact, growing up on a small farm in New
Hampshire I don't remember feeding corn to anything but chickens...
and people, or course.

--
Cheers,

John B.

I think the corn market has changed considerably since your New Hampshire childhood days. I think back then field corn, as opposed to sweet corn which is eaten by human beings. Field corn is/was used as animal feed. That was about it back then. But today, through the advancement of science and all the other evils of the world, corn is now used to make corn syrup, sugar, for food sweetening. Soda pop. And probably added to every other processed factory made food on earth too. And of course field corn is used to ferment some alcohol out of it to add to gasoline and make ethanol. So the demand and production of field corn has sky rocketed in recent decades.

Reading your references I see that about 1/3rd of the corn grown in
the U.S. is used as animal feed, another 1/3rd is used to make alcohol
and the last third is used for food.

But how does that relate to my comment that a large portion of the
world's population do not eat corn :-)

The 1/3 of corn eaten by USA hogs and cows may be eaten by the folks who do not eat corn directly. And maybe the USA exports ethanol or gasoline to these countries so they burn USA corn in their cars. And for the 1/3 of corn used for food, lots of it is corn syrup used in soda pop. The whole world drinks Coke so they are drinking USA corn in their soda pop. So a lot of the world is using USA corn whether they want to believe it or not.

Here is a neat informative article on Iowa corn. I'm positive Iowa corn is superior to all the corn grown in other states.
https://www.iowacorn.org/media-page/corn-facts

Another neat article on corn in the US. This is a guvment website so they are automatically liars according to Tom. So...
https://www.usda.gov/media/blog/2019...gest-crop-2019

Here is a chart of the amount of field corn grown in the USA over the decades. Looks like 1970 corn production was only 29% of 2020 corn production.. I picked 1970 figuring you were a kid in NH at the time. Or is 1960 more accurate.
https://www.worldofcorn.com/#us-corn-production

--
Cheers,

John B.

Ads
Old June 11th 21, 12:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Electric Bikes

On Wednesday, June 9, 2021 at 7:54:32 PM UTC-5, John B. wrote:

Modern concrete
Typically, a batch of concrete can be made by using 1 part Portland
cement, 2 parts dry sand, 3 parts dry stone, 1/2 part water.

John B.

Not to get off topic. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What is the topic anymore?
I've only dealt with concrete once in my life I think. Last summer I helped put a deck on and we anchored the posts in concrete. We used the ready to use bags you buy at the hardware store. Dump the bag into a wheel barrow and add some water and mix it with a shovel. Then pour in the hole. No measuring involved. Water is just whatever looks right so it mixes up to be however dense or soupy seems right.

What is a "part"? Your recipe above says parts frequently. Cement comes in bags. 50 pounds maybe. Dry powder basically. Sand and stone are measured be weight? or volume? 50 pounds of sand? 150 pounds of stone? or 2 buckets or bags of sand? 3 buckets or bags of stone? 1/2 bucket of water? 1/2 barrel of water? 1/2 bag of water?
Old June 11th 21, 12:49 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Electric Bikes

On Thursday, June 10, 2021 at 9:03:52 AM UTC-5, wrote:
I gave you the reference to what I said, that concrete varies in what it is made of and for from a number of different things. But of course you're telling us that the Boulder Dam was made with "Portland" cement when that is not the case.

I'm guessing many, most, people use cement, whether officially "Portland" or some other variation, and concrete somewhat interchangeably. Technically, officially, the cement is what holds everything together in the concrete mixture. Its one ingredient in the concrete recipe. Cement, sand, stone, water = concrete. But if you say the Boulder Dam is made with cement is similar to saying you drive a steel car. The body panels may be steel. Or aluminum if a Ford F-150. But there is also cast iron and other alloys in the car too. Not steel. Most sane, rational, intelligent, even just marginally intelligent, people are not going to scream and whine about it.
Old June 11th 21, 01:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi
external usenet poster

Default Electric Bikes

On 6/10/2021 6:28 PM, wrote:

Modern concrete

John B.

I've only dealt with concrete once in my life I think. Last summer I helped put a deck on and we anchored the posts in concrete. We used the ready to use bags you buy at the hardware store. Dump the bag into a wheel barrow and add some water and mix it with a shovel. Then pour in the hole. No measuring involved. Water is just whatever looks right so it mixes up to be however dense or soupy seems right.

What is a "part"? Your recipe above says parts frequently. Cement comes in bags. 50 pounds maybe. Dry powder basically. Sand and stone are measured be weight? or volume? 50 pounds of sand? 150 pounds of stone? or 2 buckets or bags of sand? 3 buckets or bags of stone? 1/2 bucket of water? 1/2 barrel of water? 1/2 bag of water?

Maybe it's like Italian grandmother recipes; handful, half
a handful, some, plenty, pinch, etc. The Greeks use 'hoofta'
which is a grandmother's hand full: Just as precise as it
needs to be.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Old June 11th 21, 01:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]
external usenet poster

Default Electric Bikes

On Thu, 10 Jun 2021 16:19:05 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

the system?
Not as far as I know, and I doubt the payback matters to him. He's
The Right Thing To Do.

What is the environmental damage from the construction and then destruction of solar panel arrays? This is not a minor problem. Do you have any idea of the maintenance problem of large dams? ...

Yes. But the over production of corn for fuel leads to lower prices for corn, which might, likely does decrease the net income of said farmers. They are too successful at producing grains that are not really needed. Then the US government has to make higher crop subsidy payments instead of putting the money to pay off the debt. Or offer health insurance to those with none. Or some other wasteful thing. Like new military jet planes. Trump gave many billions of dollars to farmers to buy votes and subsidize them. And growing more corn than we need also introduces more chemicals and fertilizers into the soil which poisons our water. Too much poison in the water is harder to deal with than too little poison.

Have a look at

--
Cheers,

John B.

That equals a 11.12% annual return/increase in price. Seed corn, what you need to start with to grow the corn crop, probably also increased a similar expense. Tractor to plant, plus the planter itself, plus the combine and corn head to harvest the corn, plus the wagons to haul the corn from the field to the elevator in town, also have to be paid for to operate as a business. Assuming you bought all this machinery on loans, interest to pay the bank. Then add in personal living expenses like a house and car to drive to the grocery store, and groceries to feed yourself, utilities gas and electric, clothes, Sunday morning church offering, etc. Farm land prices and rents have also increased considerably in the past 60 years. Got to pay for the land to farm.

Above is a link to Average and Median USA incomes from 1991 to 2019. Just half the 60 years from your corn price reply. Average/Median in the USA went from 20.9/15 thousand in 1991 to 51.9/34 thousand in 2019. Less annual increase for the whole USA than for corn prices. But still 2.5 or 2.3 increase in less than 30 years. Compared to your corn increase of 5.6 in 60 years. Somewhat close.

Dow Jones average was around 5,662 in May 1960. Its now 34,756 in June 2021. I just found some rough numbers. No precise dates so don't get too exact with me. 5,662 to 34,756 in 61 years (close to your 60 year corn numbers) is an increase of 614%. Fairly comparable to your 560% corn increase over 60 years. So commodity prices like corn have increased at about the same price as financial stocks. Maybe the same applies to commodities like iron, cotton, lumber, silver too.

Now to the point, maybe. Corn is grown by farmers and corn is used to feed people and animals. And the animals that eat the corn are used by people. So corn is a useful commodity. And with lots more people on earth than there were 60 years ago, it should be more valuable today. More people need more corn. But corn has just gone up in value about like everything else. Not more even though its become more important with the world wide growth in population. So corn prices are depressed!!!!

and people, or course.

--
Cheers,

John B.

I think the corn market has changed considerably since your New Hampshire childhood days. I think back then field corn, as opposed to sweet corn which is eaten by human beings. Field corn is/was used as animal feed. That was about it back then. But today, through the advancement of science and all the other evils of the world, corn is now used to make corn syrup, sugar, for food sweetening. Soda pop. And probably added to every other processed factory made food on earth too. And of course field corn is used to ferment some alcohol out of it to add to gasoline and make ethanol. So the demand and production of field corn has sky rocketed in recent decades.

The 1/3 of corn eaten by USA hogs and cows may be eaten by the folks

who do not eat corn directly. And maybe the USA exports ethanol or
gasoline to these countries so they burn USA corn in their cars. And
for the 1/3 of corn used for food, lots of it is corn syrup used in
soda pop. The whole world drinks Coke so they are drinking USA corn
in their soda pop. So a lot of the world is using USA corn whether
they want to believe it or not.

:-) Err, less then 10% of the ethanol produced in the U.S. is
exported
https://ethanolrfa.org/wp-content/up...al-Summary.pdf
Coke is manufactured in many countries and the wiki has it that
Sugar (sucrose or high-fructose corn syrup (HFCS) depending on country
of origin)
So not all Coke contains Corn :-)
In addition sugar less Coke is very popular here and one assumes in
other countries :-)

Here is a neat informative article on Iowa corn. I'm positive Iowa corn is superior to all the corn grown in other states.

Another neat article on corn in the US. This is a guvment website so they are automatically liars according to Tom. So...

Here is a chart of the amount of field corn grown in the USA over the decades. Looks like 1970 corn production was only 29% of 2020 corn production. I picked 1970 figuring you were a kid in NH at the time. Or is 1960 more accurate.

--
Cheers,

John B.

--
Cheers,

John B.

Old June 11th 21, 02:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]
external usenet poster

Default Electric Bikes

On Thu, 10 Jun 2021 16:28:38 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

Modern concrete

John B.

"Parts" means "part" usually accepted as a specific amount in the
formula given. Example, 1 gallon of water mixed with one gallon of oil
is one part water and one part oil. One ounce of whiskey with one
ounce of water is one part whiskey and one part water.

I'm not sure about machine mixed concrete but certainly hand mixed is
measured by the shovel full for the cement, sand and aggregate and the
water is measured by eye depending on how liquid one wants the
concrete to be.

The usual proportions are in the neighborhood of 4 - 2 - 1, 4 parts of
the crushed rock aggregate, 2 parts of sand and 1 part of cement.
Within limits the less water used the stronger the concrete will be.
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old June 11th 21, 02:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi
external usenet poster

Default Electric Bikes

On 6/10/2021 7:58 PM, John B. wrote:
On Thu, 10 Jun 2021 16:19:05 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

the system?
Not as far as I know, and I doubt the payback matters to him. He's
The Right Thing To Do.

Have a look at

--
Cheers,

John B.

and people, or course.

--
Cheers,

John B.

The 1/3 of corn eaten by USA hogs and cows may be eaten by the folks

who do not eat corn directly. And maybe the USA exports ethanol or
gasoline to these countries so they burn USA corn in their cars. And
for the 1/3 of corn used for food, lots of it is corn syrup used in
soda pop. The whole world drinks Coke so they are drinking USA corn
in their soda pop. So a lot of the world is using USA corn whether
they want to believe it or not.

:-) Err, less then 10% of the ethanol produced in the U.S. is
exported
https://ethanolrfa.org/wp-content/up...al-Summary.pdf
Coke is manufactured in many countries and the wiki has it that
Sugar (sucrose or high-fructose corn syrup (HFCS) depending on country
of origin)
So not all Coke contains Corn :-)
In addition sugar less Coke is very popular here and one assumes in
other countries :-)

Here is a chart of the amount of field corn grown in the USA over the decades. Looks like 1970 corn production was only 29% of 2020 corn production. I picked 1970 figuring you were a kid in NH at the time. Or is 1960 more accurate.
--
Cheers,

John B.

Up here in Corn Country, imported Coca Cola from Mexico,
made with cane sugar, goes for $2 per glass bottle and it
sells. I'm not a sugar soft drink kinda guy but my employees
love the stuff and I can clearly taste the difference.

As I understand it, local bottlers filter their own local
water and add local sweetener to Official Coca Cola syrup.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Old June 11th 21, 02:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie
external usenet poster

Default Electric Bikes

On Thursday, June 10, 2021 at 5:38:34 PM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
On 6/10/2021 6:28 PM, wrote:

Modern concrete

John B.

Maybe it's like Italian grandmother recipes; handful, half
a handful, some, plenty, pinch, etc. The Greeks use 'hoofta'
which is a grandmother's hand full: Just as precise as it
needs to be.

I hear they had Italian grandmothers mixing concrete at the Hoover Dam. Eh, a liddle a dis, a liddle a dat (Louis Prima music in background)
http://digital-desert.com/hoover-dam/concrete.html

-- Jay Beattie.
Old June 11th 21, 02:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]
external usenet poster

Default Electric Bikes

On Thu, 10 Jun 2021 16:49:58 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

I gave you the reference to what I said, that concrete varies in what it is made of and for from a number of different things. But of course you're telling us that the Boulder Dam was made with "Portland" cement when that is not the case.

I'm guessing many, most, people use cement, whether officially "Portland" or some other variation, and concrete somewhat interchangeably. Technically, officially, the cement is what holds everything together in the concrete mixture. Its one ingredient in the concrete recipe. Cement, sand, stone, water = concrete. But if you say the Boulder Dam is made with cement is similar to saying you drive a steel car. The body panels may be steel. Or aluminum if a Ford F-150. But there is also cast iron and other alloys in the car too. Not steel. Most sane, rational, intelligent, even just marginally intelligent, people are not going to scream and whine about it.

Well... yes, for the uninitiated, you are certainly correct. Why, I've
even heard people call a bicycle a "Kid's Toy"

--
Cheers,

John B.

Old June 11th 21, 04:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]
external usenet poster

Default Electric Bikes

On Thursday, June 10, 2021 at 4:50:00 PM UTC-7, wrote:

"Most people"? What the hell are you talking about? The constituents of concrete are chosen by the people who are using it and large buildings have engineers that select it and they do not go down to the local hardware store and buy a bag of "premix".