Shimano availability?

Old June 9th 21, 01:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Luns Tee[_5_]

Default Shimano availability?

On Tuesday, June 8, 2021 at 12:39:29 PM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
I'm not an engineer but the root diameter can't get any
larger by subtractive machining.

It doesn't need to. All the work carried between a chain and sprocket happens close to the pitch circle, and that just gets larger as a chain wears. There's no work happening at the root diameter, and no need to increase it.

-Luns
Old June 9th 21, 02:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 6/8/2021 8:48 PM, Luns Tee wrote:
On Tuesday, June 8, 2021 at 12:39:29 PM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
I'm not an engineer but the root diameter can't get any
larger by subtractive machining.

It doesn't need to. All the work carried between a chain and sprocket happens close to the pitch circle, and that just gets larger as a chain wears. There's no work happening at the root diameter, and no need to increase it.

Exactly.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old June 9th 21, 03:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 6/8/2021 7:10 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Tuesday, June 8, 2021 at 6:23:58 p.m. UTC-4, AMuzi wrote:
On 6/8/2021 5:03 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Tuesday, June 8, 2021 at 3:24:13 p.m. UTC-4, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 6/8/2021 2:20 PM, wrote:
On Tuesday, June 8, 2021 at 7:58:04 AM UTC-5, AMuzi wrote:
On 6/7/2021 10:06 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 6/7/2021 10:52 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Mon, 7 Jun 2021 16:11:51 -0700 (PDT), Mark cleary
wrote:

So COVID has shot the groupsets of Shimano. I am not a
dura-ace person and I still shift with cables. Are they
going to be making or shipping Ultegra or 105 stuff.
Maybe it all is dried but and in the end looking for it
will never come. I would even go to a disk brake set up
if I could find 105 stuff. I have Ultegra now but frankly
105 is just as good.
Deacon mark

While you're waiting, you might consider making your own
parts (and
selling extra parts to others in your situation). For
example:
https://stlbase.com/browse/bicycle+shimano/
https://www.yeggi.com/q/shimano/
Unfortunately, making the stamped steel cassette gears
will probably
be too difficult. However, it might be possible to use a
water jet
cutter to make the chainrings.
https://www.google.com/search?tbm=isch&q=waterjet+cutter+bicycle+chainrin g

Mo
https://www.google.com/search?q=3d+printed+bicycle+parts&tbm=isch

A bit more seriously: I've sometimes thought it would be
nice to have access to a CNC mill, to refurbish freewheel
cogs. It would keep my ancient SunTour freewheels going.

Is that even possible? Any material removal just reduces
the root diameter, right?
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

You beat me to it Andy. I was thinking the exact same thing when I read Frank's post. What good would a mill do you since it removes material. Grinds steel away. With cassette or freewheel cogs, the chain has ground off metal through use. So how would a mill grinding more material off help anything. Unless you were going to use the mill to grind, make, all new freewheel cogs and then disassemble and reassemble the freewheel. But I think you are getting close to the cure cancer and end hunger and peace in the world category at that point. I've heard freewheels are not something human beings disassemble and repair the internals. At least not sane ones.
I'll just mention that I've heard of others refurbishing freewheel cogs
manually, using a similar but less precise strategy. IIRC, James (who
posts here from Oz) claimed to have done that. John Forester also used
to claim he did it.

Again, this CNC scheme is hypothetical, at least for me. I no longer
have access to a CNC mill, and there are alternative strategies that are
easier. But if a person wanted to (say) restore a rare antique I don't
see a reason the CNC strategy wouldn't work.

--
- Frank Krygowski

I it possible to disaasemble the cogs from the body, t hen flip the cogs and reinstall them as can be done with Uniglide Cassette cogs?

Cheers

Mostly yes with much more effort than UG sprockets.

Compare EXA and UD for example:
http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfr...st/CACS890.JPG

UG and HG show a similar format change

Besides that, modern high gear sprockets are necessarily
made with an integrated spacer and so cannot be 'flipped'
(those are the fastest wearing sprockets).
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

I was thinking that perhaps people could flip the cogs on old 6 0r 7 speed freeheels.

These are the freewheels I have on several old bikes:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/169722...posted-public/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/169722...posted-public/

They can be assembled with 5 or 6 or 7 cogs according to a pretty
complicated system. But the cogs are mostly asymmetrical, so not flippable.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old June 9th 21, 05:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

wrote:

[...]

In the days of a 5 speed, yes, after the advent of 6 speed, no because they had lifts on them to make them shift via click shifting. The first cassettes/freehubs were 7 speed and by the time of the 8 speed the entire industry had shifting steps. I even have a set of tri-color Ultegra cranks and brakes from that time I just tripped over yesterday.
Old June 9th 21, 06:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

wrote:

[...]

Early sixes (Regina, Atom, Everest, Suntour etc) all had
symmetric tooth profiles.

The original Shimano cassette system was five speed.

Old June 9th 21, 06:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

wrote:

[...]

Tom never tires of being wrong.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old June 9th 21, 08:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

wrote:

[...]

I absolutely do NOT remember a 5 speed cassette. Shimano SIS wasn't even introduced until 1984 on the Dura Ace group and that was a 7 speed wasn't it? I remember 6 speed SIS but not on a freehub. Though perhaps the offroad group had that.
Old June 9th 21, 08:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

wrote:

[...]

Frank, and you never tire of speaking from a point of total ignorance. Tell us all here what you know about Shimano freehubs. Better yet, tell us how your "friend" lost money in the market because he didn't brag he made money.
Old June 9th 21, 08:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

wrote:

[...]

I just went out and looked at Sheldon Brown's site and he only mentions 7 speed freehubs.
Old June 9th 21, 09:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

wrote:

[...]

Original New Dura Ace 7400 (first successful index system)
was six speed in your choice of FW or CS.

https://i0.wp.com/raleigh-sb4059.com...50%2C568&ssl=1

Years before, their pressed two-piece cassette hubs were
5speed UG.