Pro Climbing Speeds

Old July 18th 04, 09:17 PM
Simonb

Default Pro Climbing Speeds

At what sort of average speeds do professional road racers climb the big
mountain passes?

Old July 18th 04, 09:24 PM
toots

Too bloody Fast
.. .

Old July 18th 04, 09:36 PM
Ambrose Nankivell

In ,
Simonb typed:
At what sort of average speeds do professional road racers climb the
big mountain passes?

I don't think you want to know that

Well, the report I read in today's Observer suggested someone was looking at
doing 25km uphill in about an hour for a time trial.

Old July 19th 04, 07:56 AM
Clifford Griffiths

"toots" wrote in message
news
Too bloody Fast
"Simonb" wrote in message
.. .
At what sort of average speeds do professional road racers climb the big
mountain passes?

Chris Boardman said in a TdF commentary last year that the pros go up

about twice as fast as amateurs. It took me 70 minutes to get up Alpe'dHuez
(not that I'm an even remotely good amateur) Marco Pantani did it in 40
minutes.

Cliff

Old July 19th 04, 10:34 PM
wheelsgoround

Simonb Wrote:
At what sort of average speeds do professional road racers climb the
big
mountain passes?

I timed Lance on the last 10km of his stage victory. I believe that
average gradient over that section was about 8%. It took him 25 mins
which is 24km/h (15 mph)

Ian

--
wheelsgoround
Old July 19th 04, 11:05 PM
Simon Brooke

in message ,
wheelsgoround ')
wrote:

Simonb Wrote:
At what sort of average speeds do professional road racers climb the
big
mountain passes?

I timed Lance on the last 10km of his stage victory. I believe that
average gradient over that section was about 8%. It took him 25 mins
which is 24km/h (15 mph)

Makes you sick, dunnit?

It would most certainly make me sick. Once again, the AI .sig generator
has picked an apposite tag.

Do not sail on uphill water.
- Bill Lee