A Cycling & bikes forum. CycleBanter.com

Go Back   Home » CycleBanter.com forum » Regional Cycling » UK
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Why do cars still have rev-counters?



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old December 19th 18, 03:03 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Jester
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,020
Default Why do cars still have rev-counters?


We have been told many times that speed cameras cause accidents because drivers are concentrating on the speedometer rather than the road. And competent drivers drive at a safe speed for the conditions rather than a number on a post. I wonder how many of these 'Uber' drivers have blanked off their tachometers.
Ads
  #2  
Old December 19th 18, 03:25 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 446
Default Why do cars still have rev-counters?

On Wednesday, December 19, 2018 at 2:03:58 PM UTC, Simon Jester wrote:
We have been told many times that speed cameras cause accidents because drivers are concentrating on the speedometer rather than the road. And competent drivers drive at a safe speed for the conditions rather than a number on a post. I wonder how many of these 'Uber' drivers have blanked off their tachometers.


This Uber driver was watching TV when she killed a pedestrian though.

https://www.bicycling.com/news/a2561...crash-cyclist/
  #3  
Old December 19th 18, 04:54 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Jester
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,020
Default Why do cars still have rev-counters?

On Wednesday, December 19, 2018 at 2:25:15 PM UTC, wrote:
On Wednesday, December 19, 2018 at 2:03:58 PM UTC, Simon Jester wrote:
We have been told many times that speed cameras cause accidents because drivers are concentrating on the speedometer rather than the road. And competent drivers drive at a safe speed for the conditions rather than a number on a post. I wonder how many of these 'Uber' drivers have blanked off their tachometers.


This Uber driver was watching TV when she killed a pedestrian though.

https://www.bicycling.com/news/a2561...crash-cyclist/


https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/uber-
https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=uber
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/über-
  #4  
Old December 19th 18, 05:15 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tom Evans
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 12
Default Why do cars still have rev-counters?

On 19/12/2018 14:03, Simon Jester wrote:

We have been told many times that speed cameras cause accidents because drivers are concentrating on the speedometer rather than the road. And competent drivers drive at a safe speed for the conditions rather than a number on a post. I wonder how many of these 'Uber' drivers have blanked off their tachometers.


Why did cars ever have rev counters. I never look at mine and have no
idea what an appropriate rev reading is.

When I learnt to drive reasonably priced cars didn't have rev counters
and so I was taught to listen to the pitch of the engine. I think
listening is better than a rev counter as we instinctively hear whereas
we need to pro-actively read a rev counter.
  #5  
Old December 19th 18, 05:43 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Jester
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,020
Default Why do cars still have rev-counters?

On Wednesday, December 19, 2018 at 4:15:49 PM UTC, Tom Evans wrote:
On 19/12/2018 14:03, Simon Jester wrote:

We have been told many times that speed cameras cause accidents because drivers are concentrating on the speedometer rather than the road. And competent drivers drive at a safe speed for the conditions rather than a number on a post. I wonder how many of these 'Uber' drivers have blanked off their tachometers.


Why did cars ever have rev counters. I never look at mine and have no
idea what an appropriate rev reading is.


Back when you had to manually set the mixture, manually advance the ignition timing, start the car with a crank and manually change gears it might have been an issue. But not now.


When I learnt to drive reasonably priced cars didn't have rev counters
and so I was taught to listen to the pitch of the engine. I think
listening is better than a rev counter as we instinctively hear whereas
we need to pro-actively read a rev counter.


Yep, that's how I drive. I can tell my speed from engine noise with occasional glances at the speedo (1).

[1] Short form of Speedometer. Speedo may get Pounder excited because it means men in skimpy under/swim wear in Leftpondia.


  #6  
Old December 19th 18, 05:53 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_10_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 322
Default Why do cars still have rev-counters?

On 19/12/2018 14:25, wrote:

On Wednesday, December 19, 2018 at 2:03:58 PM UTC, Simon Jester wrote:


We have been told many times that speed cameras cause accidents because drivers are concentrating on the speedometer rather than the road. And competent drivers drive at a safe speed for the conditions rather than a number on a post. I wonder how many of these 'Uber' drivers have blanked off their tachometers.


This Uber driver was watching TV when she killed a pedestrian though.

https://www.bicycling.com/news/a2561...crash-cyclist/

There seems to be some controversy about whether the deceased person was
a cyclist or a pedestrian (presumably at the moment of impact). You say
pedestrian, the article you cited says cyclist.

In fact, this may be one of those rare occasions when either description
is arguably correct, though even the website seems unsure of its ground:

Headline: Uber Was Warned Before Self-Driving Car Crash That Killed Cyclist

Story body text: The car struck Herzberg at nearly 40 mph. She later
died of her injuries at the hospital, becoming the first known
pedestrian death caused by a self-driving car.

Self-directing motor vehicles are either safe or unsafe. if they're
unsafe, they ought not to be operating on the highway, come what may.

The companies developing them need, surely, to prove their safety on a
private road network with no access for the general public. I note that
the State of California has already banned the use of these vehicles on
their highways.



  #7  
Old December 19th 18, 05:55 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_10_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 322
Default Why do cars still have rev-counters?

On 19/12/2018 16:15, Tom Evans wrote:
On 19/12/2018 14:03, Simon Jester wrote:

We have been told many times that speed cameras cause accidents
because drivers are concentrating on the speedometer rather than the
road. And competent drivers drive at a safe speed for the conditions
rather than a number on a post. I wonder how many of these 'Uber'
drivers have blanked off their tachometers.


Why did cars ever have rev counters. I never look at mine and have no
idea what an appropriate rev reading is.

When I learnt to drive reasonably priced cars didn't have rev counters
and so I was taught to listen to the pitch of the engine. I think
listening is better than a rev counter as we instinctively hear whereas
we need to pro-actively read a rev counter.


There are rev counters on a couple of the cars available to me. I never
even look at them while driving. Driving on the ordinary road network
should never necessitate running the engine at in-the-red speeds and
just listening to the engine note should be more than enough.

  #8  
Old December 19th 18, 06:49 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Jester
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,020
Default Why do cars still have rev-counters?

On Wednesday, December 19, 2018 at 4:55:53 PM UTC, JNugent wrote:
On 19/12/2018 16:15, Tom Evans wrote:
On 19/12/2018 14:03, Simon Jester wrote:

We have been told many times that speed cameras cause accidents
because drivers are concentrating on the speedometer rather than the
road. And competent drivers drive at a safe speed for the conditions
rather than a number on a post. I wonder how many of these 'Uber'
drivers have blanked off their tachometers.


Why did cars ever have rev counters. I never look at mine and have no
idea what an appropriate rev reading is.

When I learnt to drive reasonably priced cars didn't have rev counters
and so I was taught to listen to the pitch of the engine. I think
listening is better than a rev counter as we instinctively hear whereas
we need to pro-actively read a rev counter.


There are rev counters on a couple of the cars available to me.


Maybe you need a new Playstation.


  #9  
Old December 19th 18, 07:52 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 446
Default Why do cars still have rev-counters?

On Wednesday, December 19, 2018 at 4:15:49 PM UTC, Tom Evans wrote:
On 19/12/2018 14:03, Simon Jester wrote:

We have been told many times that speed cameras cause accidents because drivers are concentrating on the speedometer rather than the road. And competent drivers drive at a safe speed for the conditions rather than a number on a post. I wonder how many of these 'Uber' drivers have blanked off their tachometers.


Why did cars ever have rev counters. I never look at mine and have no
idea what an appropriate rev reading is.


I often check mine to see if I am in 4th/5th or 6th gear at ~60mph as my engine is so quiet and I like to be in 6th gear whilst doing 50mph.

  #10  
Old December 19th 18, 08:57 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_10_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 322
Default Why do cars still have rev-counters?

On 19/12/2018 17:49, Simon Jester wrote:
On Wednesday, December 19, 2018 at 4:55:53 PM UTC, JNugent wrote:
On 19/12/2018 16:15, Tom Evans wrote:
On 19/12/2018 14:03, Simon Jester wrote:

We have been told many times that speed cameras cause accidents
because drivers are concentrating on the speedometer rather than the
road. And competent drivers drive at a safe speed for the conditions
rather than a number on a post. I wonder how many of these 'Uber'
drivers have blanked off their tachometers.


Why did cars ever have rev counters. I never look at mine and have no
idea what an appropriate rev reading is.

When I learnt to drive reasonably priced cars didn't have rev counters
and so I was taught to listen to the pitch of the engine. I think
listening is better than a rev counter as we instinctively hear whereas
we need to pro-actively read a rev counter.


There are rev counters on a couple of the cars available to me.


Maybe you need a new Playstation.


Well, thank you very much.

When will you deliver it?

I haven't got anything for you, though.
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
getting hit by cars? Michaelgoround Unicycling 34 August 28th 08 10:36 AM
getting hit by cars? hobo_chuck Unicycling 1 July 23rd 08 04:42 PM
Census Stumbles Over High-Tech Counters Eric Vey Social Issues 0 April 4th 08 01:03 PM
Accuracy of Calorie-counters on Cycle Computers? Steve McDonald General 4 August 24th 05 04:21 AM
At least its only cars! Tony Raven UK 9 January 12th 04 01:55 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:17 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2019 CycleBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.