A Cycling & bikes forum. CycleBanter.com

Go Back   Home » CycleBanter.com forum » Regional Cycling » UK
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Why do cars still have rev-counters?



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old December 19th 18, 09:08 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mr Pounder Esquire
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,241
Default Why do cars still have rev-counters?

Simon Jester wrote:
We have been told many times that speed cameras cause accidents
because drivers are concentrating on the speedometer rather than the
road. And competent drivers drive at a safe speed for the conditions
rather than a number on a post. I wonder how many of these 'Uber'
drivers have blanked off their tachometers.


You really should have asked the question in a driving group.
Why didn't you, thicko?


Ads
  #12  
Old December 19th 18, 10:17 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Jester
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,009
Default Why do cars still have rev-counters?

On Wednesday, December 19, 2018 at 7:57:37 PM UTC, JNugent wrote:
On 19/12/2018 17:49, Simon Jester wrote:
On Wednesday, December 19, 2018 at 4:55:53 PM UTC, JNugent wrote:
On 19/12/2018 16:15, Tom Evans wrote:
On 19/12/2018 14:03, Simon Jester wrote:

We have been told many times that speed cameras cause accidents
because drivers are concentrating on the speedometer rather than the
road. And competent drivers drive at a safe speed for the conditions
rather than a number on a post. I wonder how many of these 'Uber'
drivers have blanked off their tachometers.


Why did cars ever have rev counters. I never look at mine and have no
idea what an appropriate rev reading is.

When I learnt to drive reasonably priced cars didn't have rev counters
and so I was taught to listen to the pitch of the engine. I think
listening is better than a rev counter as we instinctively hear whereas
we need to pro-actively read a rev counter.

There are rev counters on a couple of the cars available to me.


Maybe you need a new Playstation.


Well, thank you very much.

When will you deliver it?

I haven't got anything for you, though.


Which room is yours or will

Nugent
Fielding Johnson Building
Leicester

suffice?

  #13  
Old December 20th 18, 12:03 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_10_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 322
Default Why do cars still have rev-counters?

On 19/12/2018 21:17, Simon Jester wrote:
On Wednesday, December 19, 2018 at 7:57:37 PM UTC, JNugent wrote:
On 19/12/2018 17:49, Simon Jester wrote:
On Wednesday, December 19, 2018 at 4:55:53 PM UTC, JNugent wrote:
On 19/12/2018 16:15, Tom Evans wrote:
On 19/12/2018 14:03, Simon Jester wrote:

We have been told many times that speed cameras cause accidents
because drivers are concentrating on the speedometer rather than the
road. And competent drivers drive at a safe speed for the conditions
rather than a number on a post. I wonder how many of these 'Uber'
drivers have blanked off their tachometers.


Why did cars ever have rev counters. I never look at mine and have no
idea what an appropriate rev reading is.

When I learnt to drive reasonably priced cars didn't have rev counters
and so I was taught to listen to the pitch of the engine. I think
listening is better than a rev counter as we instinctively hear whereas
we need to pro-actively read a rev counter.

There are rev counters on a couple of the cars available to me.

Maybe you need a new Playstation.


Well, thank you very much.

When will you deliver it?

I haven't got anything for you, though.


Which room is yours or will

Nugent
Fielding Johnson Building
Leicester

suffice?


As long as you promise to make your own way there totally by bicycle,
that will be very satisfactory. Let me know here when you've delivered it.

I think I was in Leicester on one occasion this year, for thirty or
forty minutes at least.
  #14  
Old December 20th 18, 12:18 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Jester
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,009
Default Why do cars still have rev-counters?

On Wednesday, December 19, 2018 at 11:03:16 PM UTC, JNugent wrote:
On 19/12/2018 21:17, Simon Jester wrote:
On Wednesday, December 19, 2018 at 7:57:37 PM UTC, JNugent wrote:
On 19/12/2018 17:49, Simon Jester wrote:
On Wednesday, December 19, 2018 at 4:55:53 PM UTC, JNugent wrote:
On 19/12/2018 16:15, Tom Evans wrote:
On 19/12/2018 14:03, Simon Jester wrote:

We have been told many times that speed cameras cause accidents
because drivers are concentrating on the speedometer rather than the
road. And competent drivers drive at a safe speed for the conditions
rather than a number on a post. I wonder how many of these 'Uber'
drivers have blanked off their tachometers.


Why did cars ever have rev counters. I never look at mine and have no
idea what an appropriate rev reading is.

When I learnt to drive reasonably priced cars didn't have rev counters
and so I was taught to listen to the pitch of the engine. I think
listening is better than a rev counter as we instinctively hear whereas
we need to pro-actively read a rev counter.

There are rev counters on a couple of the cars available to me.

Maybe you need a new Playstation.

Well, thank you very much.

When will you deliver it?

I haven't got anything for you, though.


Which room is yours or will

Nugent
Fielding Johnson Building
Leicester

suffice?


As long as you promise to make your own way there totally by bicycle,
that will be very satisfactory.


Why would I need to do that?



  #15  
Old December 20th 18, 12:55 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_10_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 322
Default Why do cars still have rev-counters?

On 19/12/2018 23:18, Simon Jester wrote:
On Wednesday, December 19, 2018 at 11:03:16 PM UTC, JNugent wrote:
On 19/12/2018 21:17, Simon Jester wrote:
On Wednesday, December 19, 2018 at 7:57:37 PM UTC, JNugent wrote:
On 19/12/2018 17:49, Simon Jester wrote:
On Wednesday, December 19, 2018 at 4:55:53 PM UTC, JNugent wrote:
On 19/12/2018 16:15, Tom Evans wrote:
On 19/12/2018 14:03, Simon Jester wrote:

We have been told many times that speed cameras cause accidents
because drivers are concentrating on the speedometer rather than the
road. And competent drivers drive at a safe speed for the conditions
rather than a number on a post. I wonder how many of these 'Uber'
drivers have blanked off their tachometers.


Why did cars ever have rev counters. I never look at mine and have no
idea what an appropriate rev reading is.

When I learnt to drive reasonably priced cars didn't have rev counters
and so I was taught to listen to the pitch of the engine. I think
listening is better than a rev counter as we instinctively hear whereas
we need to pro-actively read a rev counter.

There are rev counters on a couple of the cars available to me.

Maybe you need a new Playstation.

Well, thank you very much.

When will you deliver it?

I haven't got anything for you, though.

Which room is yours or will

Nugent
Fielding Johnson Building
Leicester

suffice?


As long as you promise to make your own way there totally by bicycle,
that will be very satisfactory.


Why would I need to do that?


Because it would be more satisfying to hear of it after the event, of
course.
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
getting hit by cars? Michaelgoround Unicycling 34 August 28th 08 10:36 AM
getting hit by cars? hobo_chuck Unicycling 1 July 23rd 08 04:42 PM
Census Stumbles Over High-Tech Counters Eric Vey Social Issues 0 April 4th 08 01:03 PM
Accuracy of Calorie-counters on Cycle Computers? Steve McDonald General 4 August 24th 05 04:21 AM
At least its only cars! Tony Raven UK 9 January 12th 04 01:55 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:02 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2019 CycleBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.