A Cycling & bikes forum. CycleBanter.com

Go Back   Home » CycleBanter.com forum » rec.bicycles » Techniques
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

The "great mental ward of the Pacific Northwest"



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old December 23rd 18, 04:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3,769
Default The "great mental ward of the Pacific Northwest"

On Saturday, December 22, 2018 at 9:55:50 PM UTC-8, Andre Jute wrote:
On Sunday, December 23, 2018 at 1:26:31 AM UTC, Duane wrote:
Andre Jute wrote:
On Sunday, December 23, 2018 at 12:07:49 AM UTC, Duane wrote:

I can’t believe anyone thinks a 2500 mile wall makes any sense.

Made sense to the Chinese (The Mother of All Walls), to the Romans (many
times, inter alia in Britain and Dacia), the Germans (Siegfried), the
French (Maginot), the Brazilians (concha), Webster (line when he means queue).

Andre Jute
800 Words That Every Housewife Knows -- wallpaper I designed for my
advertising agency's offices


You’d have to see the border between the US and Mexico. A lot of it is
not traversable. The “Wall” is just hyperbole.

--
duane


I hunted up some photographs of the Great Wall away from the tourist access, and the terrain looked exactly like I imagined it, uncompromising, not a place, either side of the wall, that any reasonable person would want for any purpose (1) except to paint or photograph it and then bugger off in a hurry from its desolation.


The Great Wall was intended to stop invading hoards and not swarthy job seekers and pregnant women trying to make a run for it. Dehydrated migrants can be deterred with much less. We certainly don't need the Great Wall, the Pyramids or some other structure visible from outer space to tighten up the border. USCBP and local governments/landowners know where fencing is needed.. Let them come up with ideas. The Narcissist in Chief knows nothing about border security beyond "Build the Wall!"

Meanwhile, the government is shut down; the budget deficit soars, and cabinet officers are sprinting for the doors. It looks like a rat highway on the strained mooring lines for the ship of state. The giant corporate tax break has not produced significant economic gains -- even the WSJ slammed the cut this morning. Korea is still nuclear. China is in a froth. But in all fairness, NAFTA 2.0 has improved the fortunes of US powdered milk producers. Mission accomplished!

What is the solution? A bike ride -- in the rain with my pals. We're hard men!

-- Jay Beattie.
Ads
  #22  
Old December 23rd 18, 06:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 360
Default The "great mental ward of the Pacific Northwest"

On Sunday, December 23, 2018 at 5:12:21 PM UTC+1, jbeattie wrote:


What is the solution? A bike ride -- in the rain with my pals. We're hard men!



Exactly. Let other people make a mess. We said goodby today to the owner of our favorite coffee stop in Germany today in the pouring rain on the way back. She retired. Great lady. Always has a saying on a sign at the door. Todays saying 'In diesem Leben its jeder mutig der nicht aufgibt'. Was my first club ride after my crash 3,5 weeks ago: broken collarbone, two broken ribs and a dislocated finger. ****ing idiot that entered the bike path out of the bushes in the dark.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/QG9bAQ9ALkwUHBQ86

Lou
  #23  
Old December 23rd 18, 09:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3,769
Default The "great mental ward of the Pacific Northwest"

On Sunday, December 23, 2018 at 10:56:27 AM UTC-8, wrote:
On Sunday, December 23, 2018 at 5:12:21 PM UTC+1, jbeattie wrote:


What is the solution? A bike ride -- in the rain with my pals. We're hard men!



Exactly. Let other people make a mess. We said goodby today to the owner of our favorite coffee stop in Germany today in the pouring rain on the way back. She retired. Great lady. Always has a saying on a sign at the door. Todays saying 'In diesem Leben its jeder mutig der nicht aufgibt'. Was my first club ride after my crash 3,5 weeks ago: broken collarbone, two broken ribs and a dislocated finger. ****ing idiot that entered the bike path out of the bushes in the dark.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/QG9bAQ9ALkwUHBQ86


Get well soon! I didn't know you could ride with a broken collar bone just 3.5 weeks post-injury. Did you have it surgically repaired?

Many years ago, I was riding with a friend on a loop through the hills that is a popular route for runners and riders. On a descent, a runner launched into the lane without looking for traffic, and my friend hit him. The impact ruined my friend's bike. He got scratched up, but the runner got a broken arm. The runner's insurance company paid for a new bike -- a beautiful Richard Sachs frame (this was in the steel days). There are rules of the road, and people who don't pay attention should pay money. I don't know the law in the NL, but the dope you hit should pay.

My ride today ended up with little rain but lots of flats. I don't now what happened -- three rear flats. I blew through my spares and my CO2 and had to borrow. I found some minuscule glass shards that may have fretted through the casing (old ProRace Endurance), but no obvious offenders. One of the spares may have been bad, but I don't know, and this was so annoying that I'm throwing them away and starting over. The tire was ready for replacement anyway. CO2 is great -- a waste of resources with the metal cylinders, but so much better than pumping. All three flats didn't cause that much delay.

-- Jay Beattie


  #24  
Old December 23rd 18, 10:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 360
Default The "great mental ward of the Pacific Northwest"

On Sunday, December 23, 2018 at 10:00:59 PM UTC+1, jbeattie wrote:
On Sunday, December 23, 2018 at 10:56:27 AM UTC-8, wrote:
On Sunday, December 23, 2018 at 5:12:21 PM UTC+1, jbeattie wrote:


What is the solution? A bike ride -- in the rain with my pals. We're hard men!



Exactly. Let other people make a mess. We said goodby today to the owner of our favorite coffee stop in Germany today in the pouring rain on the way back. She retired. Great lady. Always has a saying on a sign at the door.. Todays saying 'In diesem Leben its jeder mutig der nicht aufgibt'. Was my first club ride after my crash 3,5 weeks ago: broken collarbone, two broken ribs and a dislocated finger. ****ing idiot that entered the bike path out of the bushes in the dark.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/QG9bAQ9ALkwUHBQ86


Get well soon! I didn't know you could ride with a broken collar bone just 3.5 weeks post-injury. Did you have it surgically repaired?

Many years ago, I was riding with a friend on a loop through the hills that is a popular route for runners and riders. On a descent, a runner launched into the lane without looking for traffic, and my friend hit him. The impact ruined my friend's bike. He got scratched up, but the runner got a broken arm. The runner's insurance company paid for a new bike -- a beautiful Richard Sachs frame (this was in the steel days). There are rules of the road, and people who don't pay attention should pay money. I don't know the law in the NL, but the dope you hit should pay.

My ride today ended up with little rain but lots of flats. I don't now what happened -- three rear flats. I blew through my spares and my CO2 and had to borrow. I found some minuscule glass shards that may have fretted through the casing (old ProRace Endurance), but no obvious offenders. One of the spares may have been bad, but I don't know, and this was so annoying that I'm throwing them away and starting over. The tire was ready for replacement anyway. CO2 is great -- a waste of resources with the metal cylinders, but so much better than pumping. All three flats didn't cause that much delay.

-- Jay Beattie


Thanks Jay. I think I was some kind of lucky. The fracture is close to my shoulder and my ribs are broken under my armpit. I was uncomfortable for a week but no real pain. The scary part is that I can't remember anything. I came to my senses in the hospital 3 hours later were they made already made an Xray, a scan of my head and organs, put my finger back and were busy stitching a cut above my eyebrow. The strange thing is that I didn't pass out, because I mentioned my name, my address and my pincode of my phone and was telling the same story over and over again until I snapped into reality. I just can't remember anything. Weird. Yes also in NL people a liable and have to pay for the damage (bike and medical costs) . Liability assurance is mandatory here. My bike is examined now at my LBS.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/dvGPvbyq7aGUyZVs6
https://photos.app.goo.gl/XZ7wrWDHYKsnfsqR9
I was riding this bike path:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/RPLCUnAwSYZNx3XZ9
and this woman come from this unofficial dirt path:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/m1jzRmuw2rRs22U58
The liability question is obvious according to my legal aid.

Funny thing is that my Garmin was recording the whole time:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/3HYDCrubibvMxB9G6
also the last part where the police took my bike home ;-)

I'm good and we didn't have any flats today.

Nice holidays to you all.

Lou
  #25  
Old December 23rd 18, 11:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 805
Default The "great mental ward of the Pacific Northwest"

On Sun, 23 Dec 2018 08:12:19 -0800 (PST), jbeattie
wrote:

On Saturday, December 22, 2018 at 9:55:50 PM UTC-8, Andre Jute wrote:
On Sunday, December 23, 2018 at 1:26:31 AM UTC, Duane wrote:
Andre Jute wrote:
On Sunday, December 23, 2018 at 12:07:49 AM UTC, Duane wrote:

I cant believe anyone thinks a 2500 mile wall makes any sense.

Made sense to the Chinese (The Mother of All Walls), to the Romans (many
times, inter alia in Britain and Dacia), the Germans (Siegfried), the
French (Maginot), the Brazilians (concha), Webster (line when he means queue).

Andre Jute
800 Words That Every Housewife Knows -- wallpaper I designed for my
advertising agency's offices


Youd have to see the border between the US and Mexico. A lot of it is
not traversable. The Wall is just hyperbole.

--
duane


I hunted up some photographs of the Great Wall away from the tourist access, and the terrain looked exactly like I imagined it, uncompromising, not a place, either side of the wall, that any reasonable person would want for any purpose (1) except to paint or photograph it and then bugger off in a hurry from its desolation.


The Great Wall was intended to stop invading hoards and not swarthy job seekers and pregnant women trying to make a run for it. Dehydrated migrants can be deterred with much less. We certainly don't need the Great Wall, the Pyramids or some other structure visible from outer space to tighten up the border. USCBP and local governments/landowners know where fencing is needed. Let them come up with ideas. The Narcissist in Chief knows nothing about border security beyond "Build the Wall!"


None of the historical walls mentioned were intended to be the sole
defense. Rather they were, in essence, intended as a place for the men
at arms to stand while they were slaughtering the hordes attempting to
invade.

Is this the plan for the Great American Wall?


cheers,

John B.


  #26  
Old December 23rd 18, 11:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_4_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,442
Default The "great mental ward of the Pacific Northwest"

Andre Jute wrote:
On Sunday, December 23, 2018 at 1:02:52 PM UTC, news18 wrote:
On Sat, 22 Dec 2018 16:15:33 -0800, Andre Jute wrote:

On Sunday, December 23, 2018 at 12:07:49 AM UTC, Duane wrote:

I can’t believe anyone thinks a 2500 mile wall makes any sense.

Made sense to the Chinese (The Mother of All Walls), to the Romans (many
times, inter alia in Britain and Dacia), the Germans (Siegfried), the
French (Maginot),


Duane and I were just craicing-on, light jokes about current events. But
I have no problem paying you the complement of taking you seriously if
you want to argue cases. So let's see your screed again:


Agreed.

None of which worked, as a wall.
Mental balm for tghe populace; yes.
Comunity developemnt; maybe,
Totally effective; no.


Really? You might read a little of the excellent Mr Gibbon and inform
yourself of which walls fulfilled their intended purpose. Anyhow, as we
used to say Down Under, we were talking about the sense building the wall
made to those who ordered it built, and no one said anything about the
effectiveness of the walls after they were built. As for "community
development", they didn't do limp cod-sociology jargon those days, and
the men who ordered nearly all the walls built that I referred to didn't
care **** for the "community" (1), but for their own safety and that of
their house or command or nation, which you can work out for yourself if
you were well enough read to know which walls were built by slave labour,
which by conscripted labour, and which by professional soldiers under discipline.


Well it’s one thing to not forget history but on the other hand we have a
lot of tech today that could do a better job than a stone wall.

Andre Jute
The library is my friend, and can be yours too.
(1) The reason they didn't care **** for "community" is that it wasn't
invented yet, and as for its "development", the Emperor of China thanks
you for the giggle. As late as the end of the 20th century, the great
Baroness Thatcher was forced to explain to the yobs that there is no such
thing as "community", that it is a recently minted and vaguely specified neologism.




--
duane
  #27  
Old December 23rd 18, 11:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_4_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,442
Default The "great mental ward of the Pacific Northwest"

jbeattie wrote:
On Saturday, December 22, 2018 at 9:55:50 PM UTC-8, Andre Jute wrote:
On Sunday, December 23, 2018 at 1:26:31 AM UTC, Duane wrote:
Andre Jute wrote:
On Sunday, December 23, 2018 at 12:07:49 AM UTC, Duane wrote:

I can’t believe anyone thinks a 2500 mile wall makes any sense.

Made sense to the Chinese (The Mother of All Walls), to the Romans (many
times, inter alia in Britain and Dacia), the Germans (Siegfried), the
French (Maginot), the Brazilians (concha), Webster (line when he means queue).

Andre Jute
800 Words That Every Housewife Knows -- wallpaper I designed for my
advertising agency's offices


You’d have to see the border between the US and Mexico. A lot of it is
not traversable. The “Wall” is just hyperbole.

--
duane


I hunted up some photographs of the Great Wall away from the tourist
access, and the terrain looked exactly like I imagined it,
uncompromising, not a place, either side of the wall, that any
reasonable person would want for any purpose (1) except to paint or
photograph it and then bugger off in a hurry from its desolation.


The Great Wall was intended to stop invading hoards and not swarthy job
seekers and pregnant women trying to make a run for it. Dehydrated
migrants can be deterred with much less. We certainly don't need the
Great Wall, the Pyramids or some other structure visible from outer space
to tighten up the border. USCBP and local governments/landowners know
where fencing is needed. Let them come up with ideas. The Narcissist in
Chief knows nothing about border security beyond "Build the Wall!"


Yeah like I said, tech has moved past stone walls.

Meanwhile, the government is shut down; the budget deficit soars, and
cabinet officers are sprinting for the doors. It looks like a rat
highway on the strained mooring lines for the ship of state. The giant
corporate tax break has not produced significant economic gains -- even
the WSJ slammed the cut this morning. Korea is still nuclear. China is
in a froth. But in all fairness, NAFTA 2.0 has improved the fortunes of
US powdered milk producers. Mission accomplished!


The new thing here is telling people to look for the “certified Canadian”
stamps on milk products. Sort of like the buy American push I remember
from a while back.

What is the solution? A bike ride -- in the rain with my pals. We're hard men!


+1 on that one. Though it’s more like windy ice storms here...

-- Jay Beattie.




--
duane
  #28  
Old December 23rd 18, 11:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_4_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,442
Default The "great mental ward of the Pacific Northwest"

wrote:
On Sunday, December 23, 2018 at 5:12:21 PM UTC+1, jbeattie wrote:


What is the solution? A bike ride -- in the rain with my pals. We're hard men!



Exactly. Let other people make a mess. We said goodby today to the owner
of our favorite coffee stop in Germany today in the pouring rain on the
way back. She retired. Great lady. Always has a saying on a sign at the
door. Todays saying 'In diesem Leben its jeder mutig der nicht aufgibt'.
Was my first club ride after my crash 3,5 weeks ago: broken collarbone,
two broken ribs and a dislocated finger. ****ing idiot that entered the
bike path out of the bushes in the dark.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/QG9bAQ9ALkwUHBQ86

Lou



Oh man. Glad you’re back on the road.

--
duane
  #29  
Old December 24th 18, 12:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 10,168
Default The "great mental ward of the Pacific Northwest"

On 12/22/2018 6:15 PM, Andre Jute wrote:
On Sunday, December 23, 2018 at 12:07:49 AM UTC, Duane wrote:

I can’t believe anyone thinks a 2500 mile wall makes any sense.


Made sense to the Chinese (The Mother of All Walls), to the Romans (many times, inter alia in Britain and Dacia), the Germans (Siegfried), the French (Maginot), the Brazilians (concha), Webster (line when he means queue).

Andre Jute
800 Words That Every Housewife Knows -- wallpaper I designed for my advertising agency's offices


More currently, Victor Orban's very successful double row
razor wire fencing.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971


  #30  
Old December 24th 18, 12:19 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 6,973
Default The "great mental ward of the Pacific Northwest"

On 12/23/2018 6:33 PM, John B. Slocomb wrote:
On Sun, 23 Dec 2018 14:13:20 -0600, AMuzi wrote:



Since the 1976 "improvement" to the budgeting process it's
happened some 18 or so times. All the pencil pushers* get
their full pay after a few days of paid vacation. Pay is
late but not short.

There's no there there despite the dramatic clutching of
pearls.
If there were some serious intent to remove 'nonessential
employees' and sell the vehicles and building I would be
excited.

*This only affects 'nonessential employees'. No actual
business can support 'nonessential employees let alone pay
them to not work at all.


In some, perhaps many, of the government workplaces the rank, and thus
the pay, of the manager is dependent, to some extent, on how many
people he supervises. Thus there is a very great desire to inflate the
amount of work being accomplished and the dire need of more people to
do it.

When I was assigned at Edwards AFB, the USAF Test Center, which is jam
packed with government employees I was once given the task of making a
small push-pull rod that operated something on a camera. I found a
piece of material chucked it up in the lathe, drilled and tapped a
hole in one end, had a cuppa and chatted with a friend, drilled and
tapped the other end and logged 1/2 hour on the work order. The Shop
Chief (a civilian) admonished me for only logging 1/2 hour when the
job had been "estimated" as a 4 hour job.


I'm sure there are places where fat could be trimmed.

And usually, the first place to look is the fattest.

https://qph.fs.quoracdn.net/main-qim...bcc4b05526b3d1

--
- Frank Krygowski
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
TOURING PACIFIC NORTHWEST datakoll Techniques 2 May 26th 12 02:50 AM
Pacific Northwest cycling compared to Netherlands smn General 0 September 15th 07 11:00 PM
Pacific Northwest 2005 Unicycling Dates UniBrier Unicycling 7 June 10th 05 03:28 PM
Pacific Northwest Unicycle Meet April 9, 2005 Barb K. Unicycling 15 April 7th 05 12:11 AM
Pacific Northwest Unicycle Meet April 9, 2005 UniBrier Unicycling 0 February 11th 05 01:43 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:23 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2019 CycleBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.