A Cycling & bikes forum. CycleBanter.com

Go Back   Home » CycleBanter.com forum » Regional Cycling » UK
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

"minor unavoidable accident".



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old December 29th 18, 11:35 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
MrCheerful
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 4,479
Default "minor unavoidable accident".

Clearly a miscarriage of justice, where is M'lud Lee?


Morgan was weaving through traffic at speed when he hit Mr Ibbott in St
James, Central London on the morning of March 6 2017.
Kate Seal, prosecuting, told the court: "The Crown say that the standard
of Morgan’s cycling fell well below the standard of a careful and
competent cyclist."
Mr Ibbott was rushed to hospital with serious injuries including a bleed
in his brain.
He later had to stand down as a chief financial officer and partner of
the hedge fund Cheyne Capital Management due to his injuries.

A CYCLIST who ploughed into a pedestrian on a zebra crossing causing him
life-changing injuries today walked free from court - and was fined just
£430.
Niall Morgan, 29, crashed into hedge fund executive Gary Ibbott, 54, in
London's Piccadilly in March last year - leaving his victim suffering a
brain haemorrhage.

Mr Ibbott said he has still received no apology for what happened to him

Morgan, a courier, was earlier threatened with exclusion from
proceedings after acting aggressively towards Mr Ibbott and a police
witness.
At one point District Judge Catherine Moore called security officers
into court.
After his conviction today Morgan, who is now unemployed and receiving
disability benefit, shouted at Mr Ibbot: "I have no money – you can’t
get blood out of a stone".

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/807869...-brain-injury/
Ads
  #2  
Old December 29th 18, 01:21 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Jester
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,303
Default "minor unavoidable accident".

On Saturday, December 29, 2018 at 11:35:26 AM UTC, MrCheerful wrote:
Clearly a miscarriage of justice, where is M'lud Lee?


Morgan was weaving through traffic at speed when he hit Mr Ibbott in St
James, Central London on the morning of March 6 2017.
Kate Seal, prosecuting, told the court: "The Crown say that the standard
of Morgan’s cycling fell well below the standard of a careful and
competent cyclist."
Mr Ibbott was rushed to hospital with serious injuries including a bleed
in his brain.


Was he wearing a helmet?
  #3  
Old December 29th 18, 05:33 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Jester
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,303
Default "minor unavoidable accident".

On Saturday, December 29, 2018 at 1:21:20 PM UTC, Simon Jester wrote:
On Saturday, December 29, 2018 at 11:35:26 AM UTC, MrCheerful wrote:
Clearly a miscarriage of justice, where is M'lud Lee?


Morgan was weaving through traffic at speed when he hit Mr Ibbott in St
James, Central London on the morning of March 6 2017.
Kate Seal, prosecuting, told the court: "The Crown say that the standard
of Morgan’s cycling fell well below the standard of a careful and
competent cyclist."
Mr Ibbott was rushed to hospital with serious injuries including a bleed
in his brain.


Was he wearing a helmet?


Cycle helmets can typically absorb 70 joules before failing.
A cyclist on a 10kg bicycle at 10mph contains 100 joules of Kinetic Energy making an impact with a helmet wearing pedestrian survivable for the pedestrian.
A typical 'Law Abiding' motorist will be travelling 45mph in a 30mph limit in a 1500Kg vehicle, i.e 300 Kjoules. Way beyond anything a cycle helmet can cope with.
Pedestrians should wear helmets.
  #4  
Old December 29th 18, 07:57 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 489
Default "minor unavoidable accident".

On Saturday, December 29, 2018 at 5:33:57 PM UTC, Simon Jester wrote:

Pedestrians should wear helmets.


Don't forget drivers who are the highest at risk.

Although Schumacher's was a sporting injury.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dvm_Z6LXcAAm9N5.jpg
  #5  
Old December 29th 18, 11:37 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Jester
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,303
Default "minor unavoidable accident".

On Saturday, December 29, 2018 at 7:57:38 PM UTC, wrote:
On Saturday, December 29, 2018 at 5:33:57 PM UTC, Simon Jester wrote:

Pedestrians should wear helmets.


Don't forget drivers who are the highest at risk.

Although Schumacher's was a sporting injury.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dvm_Z6LXcAAm9N5.jpg


It's not just about the risk of head injury, it's how many of these injuries could be prevented with compulsory helmets.
Clearly mandatory driving helmets would massively reduce NHS costs but homeostasis of risk would mean more primary road user injuries.
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"He remained "very weak physically" after breaking his back in amountain bike accident" Mike Vandeman[_4_] Mountain Biking 8 March 26th 10 01:31 AM
Nurse Brain-Injured by a Mountain Biking "Accident"! Mike Vandeman[_4_] Mountain Biking 10 September 27th 09 10:55 PM
Old Street roundabout accident. "Life-changing injury". spindrift UK 19 June 16th 08 05:36 PM
"Local couple seriously hurt in Nisene Marks mountain bike accident" Mike Vandeman Mountain Biking 7 September 4th 07 06:58 AM
"Local couple seriously hurt in Nisene Marks mountain bike accident" Mike Vandeman Social Issues 7 September 4th 07 06:58 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:19 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2019 CycleBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.