A Cycling & bikes forum. CycleBanter.com

Go Back   Home » CycleBanter.com forum » Regional Cycling » UK
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Poor Victim!



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old January 5th 19, 01:53 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
colwyn[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 241
Default Poor Victim!

Welsh Police ‘Operation SNAP’
The Police Service in Wales now has a scheme for accepting cam evidence
of traffic misconduct, and in some circumstances this can proceed to
prosecution.

An interesting case appeared at Llandudno Magistrates Court on Thursday
3rd January 2019. This involved a gentleman defendant named Arthur
Francis Waller, described as a businessman. The trial related to an
incident on the B5109 Conwy to Betws y Coed road. This is a popular
route for cyclists riding along the Conwy Valley as an alternative to
the busy A470 trunk road.

At approximately 09.40 hrs on Saturday 23rd June 2018, members of a
local cycling club were riding in a southerly direction, a weekly social
activity involving seasoned veteran riders and newcomers alike. On the
day they had split into small groups separated by some distance. Two
cyclists who had set out late recorded on camera a close pass by a newly
registered BMW car in the Village of Dolgarrog. The driver then
proceeded to close pass at speed another group some distance further
down the road which was also recorded on camera. When the club gathered
at their usual coffee stop it became apparent the same driver had caused
alarm in both incidents.

For each event, two independent statements were subsequently lodged via
the Operation Snap Website, along with the uploaded video evidence. In
relation to the first incident the registered keeper of the car was
issued with a police caution letter. In respect of the second incident
the registered keeper of the car received a Notice of Prosecution. The
driver was subsequently summoned to attend the Mold Magistrates Court
where he indicated his intention to plead not guilty to a charge of
Driving Without Due Care and Attention. The case was adjourned for
trial at Llandudno Magistrates Court on Thursday 3rd January 2019.

On the due date, appearing at Llandudno, the unrepresented defendant
subsequently changed his plea to Guilty. After viewing the video in
open court the Justices proceeded to sentence the defendant driver as
follows:



Fine £215

Victim Surcharge £30

Crown Prosecution Costs £310

Total £555

Three Penalty Points were awarded.

The defendant apologised to all concerned.



IMPORTANT :-

The ‘Operation Snap’ Website now covers the whole of Wales.

Video evidence of alleged inappropriate conduct can be uploaded to this
site. DO NOT DELAY. In normal circumstances the Police must contact
the registered keeper within 2 weeks for a prosecution to be possible.

Remember, the Operation Snap site can only be used if you have adequate
video evidence of hazardous use of the highway. Road Traffic
Collisions (i.e. you are knocked of your bike) are specifically
excluded. In such instances you need to report to the police directly
via 101 or 999 in an emergency.

CyclingNorthWales says:-
Within the cycling community some satisfaction is being expressed with
the performance of Operation Snap as currently being developed by North
Wales Police. Several cases have been reported to us of successful
outcomes of drivers being held to account for careless or abusive conduct.

Cyclists in general do not wish drivers who have thoughtlessly driven
within a cyclists’s comfort zone to be penalised excessively, However
they do believe drivers awareness of the danger they can create through
inattention or deliberately malicious behaviour should be highlighted,
either by caution notices, driving awareness courses, or, as in this
case, prosecution.

Those riders who performed an invaluable public service by acting upon
the video footage in their possession deserve commendation. It is only
by bringing to publlc attention the misuse of our roads that standards
can be raised. For that to be achieved, all road users bear some
responsibility.

For reasons that should be clear to any reasonable person, the most
vulnerable traveller, the cyclist, seeks harmony and respect on the
road, not conflict.
Ads
  #2  
Old January 5th 19, 02:34 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 412
Default Poor Victim!

On Saturday, January 5, 2019 at 12:53:49 PM UTC, colwyn wrote:


Those riders who performed an invaluable public service by acting upon
the video footage in their possession deserve commendation. It is only
by bringing to publlc attention the misuse of our roads that standards
can be raised. For that to be achieved, all road users bear some
responsibility.


I sent some footage from my spy sunglasses to the police on several occasions 2008-2013. They crushed 3 illegal m/cs ridden by yobbos and fined a driver who passed through a no entry sign and nearly hit me head on. Glad to see plod taking these videos seriously for a change.

The new close passing law this year will help.

https://www.petrolprices.com/news/dr...st-leads-fine/
  #3  
Old January 5th 19, 02:36 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
MrCheerful
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 4,363
Default Poor Victim!

On 05/01/2019 12:53, colwyn wrote:
Welsh Police ‘Operation SNAP’
The Police Service in Wales now has a scheme for accepting cam evidence
of traffic misconduct, and in some circumstances this can proceed to
prosecution.

An interesting case appeared at Llandudno Magistrates Court on Thursday
3rd January 2019. This involved a gentleman defendant named Arthur
Francis Waller, described as a businessman. The trial related to an
incident on the B5109 Conwy to Betws y Coed road.* This is a popular
route for cyclists riding along the Conwy Valley as an alternative to
the busy A470 trunk road.

At approximately 09.40 hrs on Saturday 23rd June 2018, members of a
local cycling club were riding in a southerly direction, a weekly social
activity involving seasoned veteran riders and newcomers alike. On the
day they had split into small groups separated by some distance.** Two
cyclists who had set out late recorded on camera a close pass by a newly
registered BMW car in the Village of Dolgarrog.* The driver then
proceeded to close pass at speed another group some distance further
down the road which was also recorded on camera.* When the club gathered
at their usual coffee stop it became apparent the same driver had caused
alarm in both incidents.

For each event, two independent statements were subsequently lodged via
the Operation Snap Website, along with the uploaded video evidence.** In
relation to the first incident the registered keeper of the car was
issued with a police caution letter.* In respect of the second incident
the registered keeper of the car received a Notice of Prosecution.* The
driver was subsequently summoned to attend the Mold Magistrates Court
where he indicated his intention to plead not guilty to a charge of
Driving Without Due Care and Attention.* The case was adjourned for
trial at Llandudno Magistrates Court on Thursday 3rd January 2019.

On the due date, appearing at Llandudno, the unrepresented defendant
subsequently changed his plea to Guilty.* After viewing the video in
open court the Justices proceeded to sentence the defendant driver as
follows:



Fine £215

Victim Surcharge £30

Crown Prosecution Costs £310

Total £555

Three Penalty Points were awarded.

The defendant apologised to all concerned.



IMPORTANT :-

The ‘Operation Snap’ Website now covers the whole of Wales.

Video evidence of alleged inappropriate conduct can be uploaded to this
site.** DO NOT DELAY.** In normal circumstances the Police must contact
the registered keeper within 2 weeks for a prosecution to be possible.

Remember, the Operation Snap site can only be used if you have adequate
video evidence of hazardous use of the highway.** Road Traffic
Collisions (i.e. you are knocked of your bike) are specifically
excluded.* In such instances you need to report to the police directly
via 101 or 999 in an emergency.

CyclingNorthWales says:-
Within the cycling community some satisfaction is being expressed with
the performance of Operation Snap as currently being developed by North
Wales Police. Several cases have been reported to us of successful
outcomes of drivers being held to account for careless or abusive conduct.

Cyclists in general do not wish drivers who have thoughtlessly driven
within a cyclists’s comfort zone to be penalised excessively, However
they do believe drivers awareness of the danger they can create through
inattention or deliberately malicious behaviour should be highlighted,
either by caution notices, driving awareness courses, or, as in this
case, prosecution.

Those riders who performed an invaluable public service by acting upon
the video footage in their possession deserve commendation.* It is only
by bringing to publlc attention the misuse of our roads that standards
can be raised.* For that to be achieved, all road users bear some
responsibility.

For reasons that should be clear to any reasonable person, the most
vulnerable traveller, the cyclist, seeks harmony and respect on the
road, not conflict.


Is there a similar system to enable truly vulnerable pedestrians to
record dangerous actions by cyclists? and how would identity be proven?
  #4  
Old January 5th 19, 02:36 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 412
Default Poor Victim!

On Saturday, January 5, 2019 at 1:34:05 PM UTC, wrote:
On Saturday, January 5, 2019 at 12:53:49 PM UTC, colwyn wrote:


Those riders who performed an invaluable public service by acting upon
the video footage in their possession deserve commendation. It is only
by bringing to publlc attention the misuse of our roads that standards
can be raised. For that to be achieved, all road users bear some
responsibility.


I sent some footage from my spy sunglasses to the police on several occasions 2008-2013. They crushed 3 illegal m/cs ridden by yobbos and fined a driver who passed through a no entry sign and nearly hit me head on. Glad to see plod taking these videos seriously for a change.

The new close passing law this year will help.

https://www.petrolprices.com/news/dr...st-leads-fine/


QUOTE:

According to the new law to protect cyclists, the driver needs to leave a minimum distance from a cyclist when overtaking or travelling alongside the bike or they could receive a fine. This would be £100 and three points on the licence for being too close to a bike on the road.

So, how close is too close? According to experts, the recommended distance between car and cyclist is ###1.5 metres###.(EMPHASIS MINE) If you are caught within this distance, then you face the potential of a fine and points on your licence, to the same value as speeding. This has replaced the previous recommendation in the Highway Code which merely said that drivers should leave ‘plenty of room’ when overtaking someone on a bike.
  #5  
Old January 5th 19, 03:57 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
colwyn[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 241
Default Poor Victim!

On 05/01/2019 13:36, MrCheerful wrote:
On 05/01/2019 12:53, colwyn wrote:
Welsh Police ‘Operation SNAP’
The Police Service in Wales now has a scheme for accepting cam
evidence of traffic misconduct, and in some circumstances this can
proceed to prosecution.

An interesting case appeared at Llandudno Magistrates Court on
Thursday 3rd January 2019. This involved a gentleman defendant named
Arthur Francis Waller, described as a businessman. The trial related
to an incident on the B5109 Conwy to Betws y Coed road.* This is a
popular route for cyclists riding along the Conwy Valley as an
alternative to the busy A470 trunk road.

At approximately 09.40 hrs on Saturday 23rd June 2018, members of a
local cycling club were riding in a southerly direction, a weekly
social activity involving seasoned veteran riders and newcomers alike.
On the day they had split into small groups separated by some
distance.** Two cyclists who had set out late recorded on camera a
close pass by a newly registered BMW car in the Village of Dolgarrog.
The driver then proceeded to close pass at speed another group some
distance further down the road which was also recorded on camera.
When the club gathered at their usual coffee stop it became apparent
the same driver had caused alarm in both incidents.

For each event, two independent statements were subsequently lodged
via the Operation Snap Website, along with the uploaded video
evidence.** In relation to the first incident the registered keeper of
the car was issued with a police caution letter.* In respect of the
second incident the registered keeper of the car received a Notice of
Prosecution.* The driver was subsequently summoned to attend the Mold
Magistrates Court where he indicated his intention to plead not guilty
to a charge of Driving Without Due Care and Attention.* The case was
adjourned for trial at Llandudno Magistrates Court on Thursday 3rd
January 2019.

On the due date, appearing at Llandudno, the unrepresented defendant
subsequently changed his plea to Guilty.* After viewing the video in
open court the Justices proceeded to sentence the defendant driver as
follows:



Fine £215

Victim Surcharge £30

Crown Prosecution Costs £310

Total £555

Three Penalty Points were awarded.

The defendant apologised to all concerned.



IMPORTANT :-

The ‘Operation Snap’ Website now covers the whole of Wales.

Video evidence of alleged inappropriate conduct can be uploaded to
this site.** DO NOT DELAY.** In normal circumstances the Police must
contact the registered keeper within 2 weeks for a prosecution to be
possible.

Remember, the Operation Snap site can only be used if you have
adequate video evidence of hazardous use of the highway.** Road
Traffic Collisions (i.e. you are knocked of your bike) are
specifically excluded.* In such instances you need to report to the
police directly via 101 or 999 in an emergency.

CyclingNorthWales says:-
Within the cycling community some satisfaction is being expressed with
the performance of Operation Snap as currently being developed by
North Wales Police. Several cases have been reported to us of
successful outcomes of drivers being held to account for careless or
abusive conduct.

Cyclists in general do not wish drivers who have thoughtlessly driven
within a cyclists’s comfort zone to be penalised excessively, However
they do believe drivers awareness of the danger they can create
through inattention or deliberately malicious behaviour should be
highlighted, either by caution notices, driving awareness courses, or,
as in this case, prosecution.

Those riders who performed an invaluable public service by acting upon
the video footage in their possession deserve commendation.* It is
only by bringing to publlc attention the misuse of our roads that
standards can be raised.* For that to be achieved, all road users bear
some responsibility.

For reasons that should be clear to any reasonable person, the most
vulnerable traveller, the cyclist, seeks harmony and respect on the
road, not conflict.


Is there a similar system to enable truly vulnerable pedestrians to
record dangerous actions by cyclists?* and how would identity be proven?


Of course, the scheme is offered to everyone. All you need is a camera.
Even if you haven't one at hand, the Police is very good at finding a
perpetrator with a knife or sharpened chisel. It doesn't matter if you
got a number on your back, or go by train!

 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
it's the victim's fault! again. AMuzi Techniques 2 September 3rd 16 05:27 PM
Identity of H&R Victim [email protected] General 0 April 8th 09 03:47 PM
Ride-A-Lot is a victim!! LIBERATOR Mountain Biking 1 July 1st 06 01:48 AM
GRS: Blaming the victim, but... [email protected] Mountain Biking 2 September 29th 05 04:17 PM
Cyclist victim of bus hit-and-run wafflycat UK 1 September 17th 05 11:03 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:04 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2019 CycleBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.