un-shared paths question

Old October 31st 04, 10:42 PM
Tamyka Bell

Default un-shared paths question

Has anyone had any luck getting pedestrians busted for using paths
marked "cyclists only"?

Some middle-aged guy was wandering down the massive downhill near mains
rd on the SE-Fwy bikepath today. This is the kind of hill where, start
at zero at the top and don't bother pedalling, you'll be well over 50
before the halfway mark. So I stop and say "Excuse me Sir" at which
point he pulls out his earphones and I say "This path is meant to be for
cyclists only, and people tend to fly down this hill, so you should be
very careful" at which point he tells me "f%&k off and mind your own
business".

Now given that I was concerned that he might get injured and was only
offering a polite suggestion, I was quite offended and I must
congratulate myself that he didn't promptly receive some repetitive size
40 to the head. What a stupid man. I hope he got hit by a cyclist,
didn't damage the bike, didn't damage the cyclist, and the brain damage
that the pedestrian got made him suddenly have a normal IQ instead of
one so far below average.

Another point to note. I used my bell once only this morning. The woman
jumped about a foot in the air and told me off for scaring her. No such
problem when I called out "passing on your right/left" (yes some
pedestrians choose to keep right...) and in fact most of them said
thanks.

PS someone has entered me in Hell's Bells on the 13-14 Nov...
Old November 1st 04, 03:56 AM
SteveA

Tamyka Bell Wrote:
Has anyone had any luck getting pedestrians busted for using path
marked "cyclists only"

....This path is meant to be for cyclists only.....

Brisbane must be very enlightened now to have bike only paths. I don'
think Perth has any that are not shared paths. I'm heading to Brisban
to see the family at Christmas, the temptation to take a bike on th
plane is getting greater and greater

Steve

--
SteveA

Old November 1st 04, 04:09 AM
bjay

"Tamyka Bell"
Has anyone had any luck getting pedestrians busted for using paths
marked "cyclists only"?

Hmm, if only such things existed in Perth (cyclists only paths that is).
I would have thought that walking on a cyclists only path would be like
walking down the middle of a road. Some people have no idea.

(snip)

Another point to note. I used my bell once only this morning. The woman
jumped about a foot in the air and told me off for scaring her. No such
problem when I called out "passing on your right/left" (yes some
pedestrians choose to keep right...) and in fact most of them said
thanks.

I was finding the same thing. A bell would often scare the . . . . out of
pedestrians, whereas calling out seemed to get a calmer reaction, and more
to the point would more frequently elicit a reaction Pedestrians would
often just ignore the bell, but when I call out they turn to look and see
what is going on.
Maybe I should try the "passing on . . ." approach, I just call out "Bike".
Yesterday I had to go onto a section of path because I had no choice, the
road had been blocked for bridge works. It was only a short section of
path, and I was going very slowly because it is mostly used by pedestrians,
I called out "bike" to a couple of pedestrians, and one moved over, the
other just commented with a sarcastic "so it is" as I slowly went past. What
more do you want, I thought to myself!?

bjay

Old November 1st 04, 04:42 AM
DaveB

bjay wrote:
I would have thought that walking on a cyclists only path would be like
walking down the middle of a road.

I copped 2 guys walking down the middle of the road last week on my
commute. I rang the bell and they jumped either side so I started to
ride between them. Then at the last minute one of them decided he was
lonely and leapt across to be with his mate right in my path. I'm still
not sure how I avoided that one but there was a fair bit of swearing
involved.

DaveB

Old November 1st 04, 06:03 AM
Marx SS

I use a bell, but mostly I swing & miss..............

--
Marx SS

Old November 1st 04, 07:27 AM
zzedd

Tamyka Bell Wrote:
...I used my bell once only this morning. The woman
jumped about a foot in the air and told me off for scaring her. N
such
problem when I called out "passing on your right/left" (yes some
pedestrians choose to keep right...) and in fact most of them said
thanks.

i tend to give (usually) two short rings, separated by a few seconds
when on a shared bikepath. this gives me a chance to gauge the reactio
of the pedestrian. if they respond to my long-range warning, everythin
is fine. if they don't, the subtext is telling them i'm serious.

michael

--
zzedd

Old November 1st 04, 07:38 AM
Gemma Kernich

"Tamyka Bell" wrote in message
Has anyone had any luck getting pedestrians busted for using paths
marked "cyclists only"?

have a look he
http://www.veloway.org
A whole site dedicated to this cause (in Adelaide though).
Gemm

Old November 2nd 04, 12:19 PM
SteveA

Tamyka Bell Wrote:
Has anyone had any luck getting pedestrians busted for using path
marked "cyclists only"

Some middle-aged guy was wandering down the massive downhill near main
rd on the SE-Fwy bikepath today. This is the kind of hill where, star
at zero at the top and don't bother pedalling, you'll be well over 5
before the halfway mark. So I stop and say "Excuse me Sir" at whic
point he pulls out his earphones and I say "This path is meant to b
fo
cyclists only, and people tend to fly down this hill, so you should b
very careful" at which point he tells me "f%&k off and mind your ow
business"

easy solution - make it legal for bike cops to run over peds walkin
down middle of bike only paths. Hell, make it legal for anyone on
bike to run over the idiots. (I have my head in the books trying t
study so I have not been on a bike for 3 days and I'm grumpy

Steve

--
SteveA

Old November 2nd 04, 10:04 PM
Paul J

Seems to be happening to frequently these days. People with heads
buried in the sand don't like to told anything and would sooner rip
your head off than take some friendly advice. They're also the ones
who scream that police should be out catching "real" criminals and not
wasting their taxes putting drug dealers behind bars. Has something to
do with the way we've all become very self absorbed I believe.

--
Paul J