Cycling infrastructure in Rome

Old October 8th 20, 06:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default Cycling infrastructure in Rome

We don't need engineers, we had a design panel:

https://video.corriere.it/roma-camio...2-3854c59f54db

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old October 8th 20, 11:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 10/8/2020 1:48 PM, AMuzi wrote:
We don't need engineers, we had a design panel:

https://video.corriere.it/roma-camio...2-3854c59f54db

We had sort of the opposite here. We had a historic (1950?) pedestrian
suspension bridge in our forest preserve. A certain inheritance-wealthy,
egotistical bloviating asshole (I'm using those terms very carefully)
came into town, then donated lots of money to buy influence. Eventually
the low-IQ mayor appointed him to a certain board. The asshole then
decided to really make his mark by getting the historic bridge replaced.

The bridge needed maintenance, mostly wood work of the sort that could
be done by village workers or even competent volunteers. But the guy in
question "engineer shopped" and did back room politicking until he found
an engineer who would officially say the bridge needed closed
immediately and replaced. No matter that nine other engineers said it
needed only maintenance.

Nearly $90,000 later, there's a new bridge. It's just like the old one
in every essential way. Well, except it's shinier.

--
- Frank Krygowski