Rotating tires

Old August 22nd 05, 12:35 AM
vanman2004

Default Rotating tires

I've noticed that my tire is wearing significantly on the side that
touches the ground when I hop. UDC UK says to just rotate the tire 90
degrees on the rim (http://tinyurl.com/2g3uf).
Wouldn't it make more sense to just rotate the cranks? This would not
only even out wear on the tire, but on the hub, splines, spokes, and
rim.

--
vanman2004 - ...
vanman2004's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9184

Old August 22nd 05, 12:39 AM
caw89

Yeah, thats what i do, I rotate my cranks once ina while, its good to
taek em off now and then, it rotates the tire and your cranks and all
the ohter good parts....I only rotate my tire alone when i get a
flat....

--
caw89 - Cody

'Cody's Gallery' (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/Codys-Gallery)

'sixsixone' (http://sixsixone.com/)

AIM: unicaw89
caw89's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8228

Old August 22nd 05, 12:48 AM
peter.bier

vanman2004 wrote:
*I've noticed that my tire is wearing significantly on the side that
touches the ground when I hop. UDC UK says to just rotate the tire 90
degrees on the rim (http://tinyurl.com/2g3uf).
Wouldn't it make more sense to just rotate the cranks?*

If you can extract your cranks it certainly does. Note not everyone has
self extracting cranks or the required crank tools so then the rotating
tyre technique is then their only option.

It is certainly fairly easy to whip off the cranks and remount them if
you have the right tools. Of course people with an extractor tend to be
the type who swap cranks anyway so your suggested technique of
remounting at 90 degrees tends to get a fair bit of use.

--
peter.bier - Posting since 97

-Peter Bier

peter.bier's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1506

Old August 22nd 05, 03:50 AM
leadpan

Great idea.
I have the same problem with the tire wearing out more due to tight
turns I do. I thought of rotating the tires but since I am one of those
people that DO have crank extracting tool, I will try this novel idea of
rotating the cranks instead!

Once again, I am reminded why I frequent this forum daily to get tips
and ideas that myself would of never thought of! Thanks gang!

--
leadpan - OC Cokeur

"Pain is temporary. Quitting lasts forever" - Lance Armstrong
leadpan's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9751

Old August 22nd 05, 06:39 AM
fexnix

I cant remove my cranks

--
fexnix - 75 cm sidehop ^

'*My fresh gallery*' (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/Fexnix-album)
'knarkargänget' (http://surl.se/elt)

\"u can **** off u retard it says sidehop not high jump so shut da f**k
up and go ride a b*ke. nob!\" /butty
fexnix's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7381

Old August 24th 05, 05:21 AM
evil-nick

I believe the KH/Onza 2005 owners "manual" says to rotate the cranks
every 90 hours of riding or something... Whups, nope, just checked,
every 30-40 rides (or more depending on sand/salt) remove cranks,
regrease, and install 90 degrees to previous position...Hmm, I shall be
due soon... But yeah, I have a balding spot on my tire from last
summer... But it still worked all winter!

--
evil-nick - Unicyclist, Linux Geek, & swell guy

Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total
obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and
through me. And when it has gone past, I will turn the inner eye to see
its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will
remain.

* Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear.

I'm late for checkers with the Dalai Lama!

My gallery:
http://evil.linuxfreak.ca/uni.html
Our Club:
http://cs.ubishops.ca/~buuc/
evil-nick's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6692

Old August 24th 05, 10:38 AM
kington99

If you're rotating the cranks don't miss the opportunity to ride after
only one has been rotated, so the cranks are only 90 degress out of
phase rather than 180, it's great.

--
kington99 - I HAVE figured out how to change th

Dave