Hermiston, Oregon to Hood River, Oregon?

Old November 28th 05, 01:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides

Default Hermiston, Oregon to Hood River, Oregon?

I'm thinking about doing a route from Missoula, MT to Portland, OR next
summer. My route would go through Hermiston and then over to Hood
River. It looks like there's two ways to get there, either by
Interstate 84 south of the Columbia River or Road 14 north of the
river. Are there any campgrounds(or any other lodging) in between
Hermiston and Hood River?

Also, I've heard it gets pretty windy along the river. Which way do the
winds tend to blow in the summer? Would it be better to go from
Portland to Missoula or the other way around?

Thanks for any help,
Ted

Old November 30th 05, 04:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides

Ted wrote:
I'm thinking about doing a route from Missoula, MT to Portland, OR next
summer. My route would go through Hermiston and then over to Hood
River. It looks like there's two ways to get there, either by
Interstate 84 south of the Columbia River or Road 14 north of the
river. Are there any campgrounds(or any other lodging) in between
Hermiston and Hood River?

Also, I've heard it gets pretty windy along the river. Which way do the
winds tend to blow in the summer? Would it be better to go from
Portland to Missoula or the other way around?

Thanks for any help,
Ted

Can't answer your question about campgrounds, but I used to live in east
Portland, where the gorge winds would blow like a mutha. They blow east
to west. Go to Portland from Missoula. You should consider going to the
ocast, it's only a little farther. From Portland, you could go to
Seaside via hwy 26 (not recommended, too busy) or over hwy 6 to
Tillamook (better). From Tillamook, you could go another 20 miles to
Paicfic City and end at the Pelican Brewpub, the best place on the north
coast to end your ride. From Portland, it would be another day or
riding. You could do it.
Old December 1st 05, 04:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides

Thanks for the suggestion.

Do you know if there's any public transportation from Tilamook or
Pacific City back to Portland?

Old December 1st 05, 07:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides

Funny you ask. I think there is a bus that takes people from Tillamook to
Portland. I live in NW Portland, in the 'burbs, and I see a bus that is
"touristy" in the 'hood every once in awhile.

Go to http://www.tillamookbus.com/ and they have the information you may
need. I can't vouch for PC, but if you pick the right sunny weekend, my
neighbor and I may ride down and meet you at the Pelican and bring you back
to Portland. Actually, my wife will do the driving. When do you plan to go?

Old December 1st 05, 07:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides

I'll be darned, they do have service from Pacific City to Tillamook. From
Tillamook, it's a nonstop to Portland.

Old December 1st 05, 06:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides

Hi,
thanks again. I'm still not sure about the exact dates yet. It'll
probably be in June though.

Old December 4th 05, 12:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides

"DR" wrote in message
You should consider going to the ocast, it's only a little farther. From
Portland, you could go to Seaside via hwy 26 (not recommended, too busy)
or over hwy 6 to Tillamook (better). From Tillamook, you could go another
20 miles to Paicfic City and end at the Pelican Brewpub, the best place on
the north coast to end your ride.

I'm moving to Portland in a few weeks, and when it gets warm again,
I plan to do an out-and-back to the coast. That is, ride out to the coast
on a Saturday, spend the night, bike back on Sunday.

Does that sound plausible? Are there any organized rides like that?

-- Paul

Old December 4th 05, 07:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides

Oh sure, it's doable. My riding partner and I have talked about doing it.

I don't know of any organized rides, but try the Portland Wheelmen
(Wheelman??) club at http://www.pwtc.com/ and they would be able to help you
out. I would strongly urge you not to go on hwy 26, which is the straightest
shot to the beach (Seaside). Way too much traffic. I don't know your mileage
limits, but you could either go to Tillamook, which is about 80 miles from
Portland to Pacific City, which is around 100 miles. PC is much nicer, but a
really small town. Both PC and Tillamook take you over the coast range. If
you want to ride farther, but flatter, go to Lincoln City via McMinnville.
Somewhat boring ride, but flat.

"DR" wrote in message
You should consider going to the ocast, it's only a little farther. From
Portland, you could go to Seaside via hwy 26 (not recommended, too busy)
or over hwy 6 to Tillamook (better). From Tillamook, you could go another
20 miles to Paicfic City and end at the Pelican Brewpub, the best place on
the north coast to end your ride.

I'm moving to Portland in a few weeks, and when it gets warm again,
I plan to do an out-and-back to the coast. That is, ride out to the coast
on a Saturday, spend the night, bike back on Sunday.

Does that sound plausible? Are there any organized rides like that?

-- Paul

RR : Molalla River / Hardy Creek (Oregon) GWood Mountain Biking 5 October 11th 05 03:10 AM
Join in on the fun at Paddlefest with a trip down the river [email protected] General 0 July 7th 05 05:00 PM
Hood River Muni? Theo Unicycling 1 May 21st 05 02:24 AM
RR: The Whoopdeedoo trail, Hood River, Oregon Gwood Mountain Biking 6 November 9th 04 09:58 PM