National Blood Service

Old April 8th 04, 05:50 PM
Richard Bates

Default National Blood Service

Normally when I give blood the staff appear horrified when they
discover I am cycling home afterwards. (I'm not entirely sure why).

Today I got a reminder postcard asking me to "get there anyway I can",
and featuring a picture of a pogostick-mounted erythrocyte.

I wonder if they will disapprove this time?

Love and O-neg from Rich x

--
Isn't it annoying when cyclingforums.com publish
messages that they haven't been granted permission
Old April 8th 04, 06:41 PM
John Mallard

"Richard Bates" wrote in message
Normally when I give blood the staff appear horrified when they
discover I am cycling home afterwards. (I'm not entirely sure why).

I once realised that I had a blood donation booked 90 minutes before a
booking for a squash court.
Not wishing to give up either I foolishly went ahead with both.
Only time I have ever woken up with a crowd around me.
(touches wood quickly)

--
Cheerful Peddling
John Mallard

Old April 8th 04, 09:59 PM
Frobnitz

"Richard Bates" wrote in message
Normally when I give blood the staff appear horrified when they
discover I am cycling home afterwards. (I'm not entirely sure why).

I once cycled home after losing a pint, and got home to find that my
lamentably slow to clot blood had leaked (flooded) out and the sleeve of the
(white) shirt I was wearing was soaked in 0 Rh D+. I think it's possibly
more to do with the slight wooziness and instability that affects a small
proportion of those who donate - I certainly wouldn't like to get
hypotensive attack whilst cycling, although worrying about it hasn't stopped
me cycling back.

Today I got a reminder postcard asking me to "get there anyway I can",
and featuring a picture of a pogostick-mounted erythrocyte.

I wonder if they will disapprove this time?

You're not on a pogostick - and IME they'll complain regardless - they used
to be a bit unhappy with me walking home.

Old April 8th 04, 10:43 PM
Richard Goodman

"Frobnitz" wrote in message

I think it's possibly
more to do with the slight wooziness and instability that affects a small
proportion of those who donate - I certainly wouldn't like to get
hypotensive attack whilst cycling, although worrying about it hasn't

stopped
me cycling back.

I don't get slightly woozy and unstable - I faint, fall right over, even
after lying down first for the obligatory few minutes and a bit longer. It
happened to me twice - the first time they said that 'sometimes' happens
'the first time'. I'll not be trying for a third...

Rich

Old April 8th 04, 10:52 PM
Paul - xxx

Richard Goodman posted ...

"Frobnitz" wrote in message

I think it's possibly
more to do with the slight wooziness and instability that affects a
small proportion of those who donate - I certainly wouldn't like to
get hypotensive attack whilst cycling, although worrying about it
hasn't stopped me cycling back.

I don't get slightly woozy and unstable - I faint, fall right over,
even after lying down first for the obligatory few minutes and a bit
longer. It happened to me twice - the first time they said that
'sometimes' happens 'the first time'. I'll not be trying for a
third...

First time I went, in about 1986, I felt sick, second time I felt really,
reallly nauseous and faint, third time I puked _all_ over and then fainted.

All of which wouldn't be too bad if they had been able to get a full pint
out. Apparently they couldn't find a decent vein, and when they did it
wouldn't give them a decent flow-rate. Four more tries later they gave up,
with me being sick everywhere and having given only a small amount of actual
blood. Which is strange 'cos when I cut myself the blood flows freely
enough ..

I haven't been back since ..

--
Paul

(8(|) Homer rocks ..

Old April 8th 04, 11:18 PM
MSeries

Richard Goodman wrote:
"Frobnitz" wrote in message

I think it's possibly
more to do with the slight wooziness and instability that affects a
small proportion of those who donate - I certainly wouldn't like to
get hypotensive attack whilst cycling, although worrying about it
hasn't stopped me cycling back.

I don't get slightly woozy and unstable - I faint, fall right over,
even after lying down first for the obligatory few minutes and a bit
longer. It happened to me twice - the first time they said that
'sometimes' happens 'the first time'. I'll not be trying for a
third...

Rich

I gave blood in 1986, gave the main bag full, the nurse was just taking the
two small samples in bottles and I passed out. I got a phone call the next
day thanking me, it was organised through my company and done 'on site', but
advising me not to bother any more.

Old April 9th 04, 12:43 AM
AndyMorris

Richard Bates wrote:
Normally when I give blood the staff appear horrified when they
discover I am cycling home afterwards. (I'm not entirely sure why).

Today I got a reminder postcard asking me to "get there anyway I can",
and featuring a picture of a pogostick-mounted erythrocyte.

I wonder if they will disapprove this time?

Love and O-neg from Rich x

Have a drink and a bicky after donating and you'll be fine.

--
Andy (How many bathfulls is 35 pints?) Morris

AndyAtJinkasDotFreeserve.Co.UK

Love this:

Old April 9th 04, 08:23 AM
congokid

In message , Richard Bates
writes
Normally when I give blood the staff appear horrified when they
discover I am cycling home afterwards. (I'm not entirely sure why).

The last time I went I brought my Brompton in with me - didn't seem to
bother them. Then I cycled home.

--
congokid
Good restaurants in London? Number one on Google
Old April 9th 04, 08:48 AM
Helen Deborah Vecht

"Frobnitz" typed

"Richard Bates" wrote in message
Normally when I give blood the staff appear horrified when they
discover I am cycling home afterwards. (I'm not entirely sure why).

I once cycled home after losing a pint, and got home to find that my
lamentably slow to clot blood had leaked (flooded) out and the sleeve of the
(white) shirt I was wearing was soaked in 0 Rh D+. I think it's possibly
more to do with the slight wooziness and instability that affects a small
proportion of those who donate - I certainly wouldn't like to get
hypotensive attack whilst cycling, although worrying about it hasn't stopped
me cycling back.

I used to cycle home after giving blood.

Trying to pedal hard through Sheepscar in Leeds was definitely a
mistake; I felt very light-headed.

I found a shop, bought a BIG cold drink, sat down for about half an hour
and set off much more gently when I felt better.

I think it's important to get *really* well-hydrated before and after
giving blood -especially when it's warm.

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
Old April 9th 04, 08:55 AM
Helen Deborah Vecht

"AndyMorris" typed

Richard Bates wrote:
Normally when I give blood the staff appear horrified when they
discover I am cycling home afterwards. (I'm not entirely sure why).

Today I got a reminder postcard asking me to "get there anyway I can",
and featuring a picture of a pogostick-mounted erythrocyte.

I wonder if they will disapprove this time?

Love and O-neg from Rich x

Have a drink and a bicky after donating and you'll be fine.

The problem is a 'pint' of blood is 400-450ml (a real pint is 568ml) and
the cups of tea are probably less than 200ml. If you're dry before you
give and then exercise you might run into trouble. Circulating volume is
only about 8 pints (5 litres) so rapid loss of a pint could be awkward.

You might find 750ml of Isostar/Lucozade sport helpful.

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.

Gels vs Gatorade Ken Techniques 145 August 3rd 04 06:56 PM
History Lesson #63 for July newbies Ronde Champ Racing 0 July 16th 04 11:27 PM
Postal Service Set to Pull the Plug Sierraman Racing 41 March 29th 04 10:29 PM