Which SS kit to buy.

Old March 12th 05, 01:56 PM
Mtnbiker

Default Which SS kit to buy.

Ok all you SS people. I want to give single speed a try. Can you give me a
few names of SS kits that I can look at buying. What are some of the better
kits. I really want to get into this type of mountain biking. Links, reviews
ect. I have a Haro hardtail and a Giant AC1 that I would like to convert.
Thanks

Old March 12th 05, 03:51 PM
Gman

On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 09:56:03 -0400, Mtnbiker wrote:
Ok all you SS people. I want to give single speed a try. Can you give me a
few names of SS kits that I can look at buying. What are some of the better
kits. I really want to get into this type of mountain biking. Links, reviews
ect. I have a Haro hardtail and a Giant AC1 that I would like to convert.
Thanks

When you say kit, I assume you mean the conversion of a
geared bike?

I've use a Singulator, but wasn't impressed as they are
kinda fragile and my feet would hit it because it stuck out.

For conversion my favorite was an old derailleur tied up
tight by putting a short piece of cable thru it and then
using the barrel adjuster to get it right on line.

Here are some pix of the different revisions of my old
converted Specialized SS:
http://www.geocities.com/glaprade/SS/

Should be plenty of drivetrain shots to give you ideas.

After riding this for a year or two I decided to buy a
Surly.
http://www.geocities.com/glaprade/Surly/

There are lots of pretty good deals on MTBR too:
http://classifieds.mtbr.com/cgi-bin/...query=category

More info:
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/singlespeed.html
http://www.ehow.com/how_14192_conver...tain-bike.html
http://www.singlespeedoutlaw.com/issue1/links.shtml

Gman
Old March 12th 05, 06:03 PM
Mtnbiker

"Gman" wrote in message
[...]

Great Gman. I'll do some more reading.

Old March 12th 05, 09:18 PM
Dean A. Stepper

"Mtnbiker" wrote in message
news

"Gman" wrote in message
[...]

Or...

From FAQ in Single Speed Forms MTBR

What is an EBB (Eccentric Bottom Bracket)?
An Eccentric Bottom Bracket (EBB) uses an oversized bottom bracket shell
that houses a cylinder or "can" with an off-center bottom bracket mounting
position.

The cylinder can be loosened and rotated within the oversized shell of the
to provide greater or lesser distance to the rear axle and tension the
chain. By using this chain tensioning system, a EBB-equipped single speed
frame can be built with vertical dropouts.

There are a few different types of EBB designs. Refer to the "Are all
eccentric designs the same?" section for further details.