too old and fat to learn uni?

Old August 13th 05, 08:01 PM
oldfatboy

Default too old and fat to learn uni?

I am 52, weigh about 225lbs, and 5'11".
I have wanted to learn to ride a unicyle since I was a boy.
I'm not working at the present and can buy a torker (I think it is a
cx). I would prefer something nicer, but with no income......
I have been doing some regular bike riding to try and get back in shape.

Any way, should I go for it?
Thanks.

--
oldfatboy
oldfatboy's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10599

Old August 13th 05, 08:11 PM
tholub

You should definitely go for it; it'll help you get in shape and
brighten your life. The main talent required for learning is
determination.

I really would suggest that you try to go up at least to the Torker LX,
which has a much better rim and seat than the CX for only $20 more. The
CX is more or less a throw-away uni that you'll have to replace; the LX
is good enough to last for years.

--
tholub - Kinetic Sculptor

Old August 13th 05, 08:26 PM
James_Potter

naah, anyone can learn to ride the unicycle!!
-any-one.
I agree with tholub, get a Torker LX, not CX. the CX is really, really
cheap and not a very good unicycle, and the seat hurts to sit on. but
the LX is very comfortable, and a decently strong unicycle too.

--
James_Potter - betcha can't stick it!

Old August 13th 05, 08:31 PM
Mikefule

A year or two ago, I taught a 51 year old friend to ride a unicycle.

If you are overweight, take it steady. As you imprrove, two things will
happen:
1) The unicycling will become less physically demanding.
2) You will lose a bit of weight anyway. I lost about 8% of my
bodyweight in my first 6 months of serious riding.

--
Mikefule - Roland Hope School of Unicycling

Competing with yesterday to hold off tomorrow.

Old August 13th 05, 08:31 PM
oldfatboy

Would the CX be ok just to learn on? No sense tearing up a nice one.
That is the only one available and I'm not positive it is a CX. It is a
Torker and costs 100.00. I am stretching it just to buy this one (if I
do).
Also, it is a 20". I am planning on going for a 24" for road riding
around the small town I live in. The one available I can get today.
Anything else would have to be ordered at the bike store.
Can I get by with the CX for a year or so?
Thanks

Old August 13th 05, 08:40 PM
Mikefule

Right now, I'd recommend you just get a unicycle and get used to riding
it. If you take to it, you will natturally find yourself testing the
limits of what you can achieve. You may find yourself drawn towards
distance riding; you may find rough ground and unmade tracks an
irresistible temptation; or you may fall in love with the grace and
precision of freestyle riding. When you know what floats your boat, you
will probably do a few upgrades (pedals, tyre, cranks) and start to
daydream about your ideal uni. By then, you will know what you want.

It's no god buying the best top of the range 24 inch MUni, only to find
you enjoy 30 mile jaunts in the forest; a custom Coker is fantastic, but
not ideal if you are drawn towards trials or freestyle. Best isn't
necessarily most appropriate, and this is a very individual sport.

For now, just have fun. Later, follow your own demons.

Old August 13th 05, 08:41 PM
oldfatboy

Well, I called the bike store. He can get a 24" LX for about $120.00 and
it will take about 5 days to get here.
Sound good?
I was hoping to stay under 100 (make my wife happier!), but it is that
much better for 20 dollars???
Is a 24 any easier to learn on?
Thanks again everybody for your input!

Old August 13th 05, 09:07 PM
oldfatboy

ok, I just got off the phone with my bike dealer.
I ordered a 24" LX. He thought for my height/size the 24" would be
better.
Any way.... done deal but I haven't told my wife yet

Old August 13th 05, 09:28 PM
habbywall

good choice i have a cx and its horrible!!!! im gonna get an lx next
though.
tell your wife the cx would have broke anyways and this one wont so in
the long run it will be cheaper.

--
habbywall

It takes twice the man to ride half the bike.
mac g4 10.4, 20 gb ipod 3rd gen with linux

habbywall's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10260

Old August 13th 05, 10:25 PM
mucRider

Go for it. I learned 2 years ago at age 50. I am the same height but I
weigh 70 pound less.

I would STRONGLY recommend the 20 inch. I believe the success rate for
learning on a 20 inch is much better than a 24 inch. I have seen people
learn on both and the 20 inch is better for learning.

Get at least the LX, it will hold up better with your weight.

Good luck. Have fun.

--
mucRider - From the Over 50 Group

It is wise to invest in your happiness. - Harper
mucRider's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6119