How to un-quick-release a hub

Old December 9th 08, 02:04 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Stevie Plunder

Default How to un-quick-release a hub

I have a quick release hub. What do I need to buy to make it
un-quick-release? And where's a cheap place to get the bit I need. Ta.
Old December 9th 08, 02:06 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Rob Morley

On Tue, 09 Dec 2008 14:04:28 +0000
Stevie Plunder wrote:

I have a quick release hub. What do I need to buy to make it
un-quick-release? And where's a cheap place to get the bit I need.

Probably axle, cones and axle nuts. The cones have to match the hub, so
without further clues ...
If you just want to make the hub more secure you can fit a keyed skewer
like
http://www.cyclesurgery.com/1026444/...e-(FRONT).html

Old December 9th 08, 02:19 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Stevie Plunder

Stevie Plunder wrote:

I have a quick release hub. What do I need to buy to make it
un-quick-release? And where's a cheap place to get the bit I need.

Probably axle, cones and axle nuts. The cones have to match the hub, so
without further clues ...
If you just want to make the hub more secure you can fit a keyed skewer
like
http://www.cyclesurgery.com/1026444/...e-(FRONT).html

Shimano DH-3N71; just bought it and want it to stay mine. Any ideas?
What's the simplest way of securing said hub? Thanks
Old December 9th 08, 03:13 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Nigel Cliffe[_3_]

Stevie Plunder wrote:

I have a quick release hub. What do I need to buy to make it
un-quick-release? And where's a cheap place to get the bit I need.

Probably axle, cones and axle nuts. The cones have to match the
hub, so without further clues ...
If you just want to make the hub more secure you can fit a keyed
skewer like
http://www.cyclesurgery.com/1026444/...e-(FRONT).html

Shimano DH-3N71; just bought it and want it to stay mine. Any ideas?
What's the simplest way of securing said hub? Thanks

The above mentioned keyed skewer, or a decent lock holding wheel to frame of
bike. The latter does have a minor risk of toe-rags stealing the skewer.

- Nigel

--
Nigel Cliffe,
Webmaster at http://www.2mm.org.uk/

Old December 9th 08, 03:22 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Stevie Plunder

* Nigel Cliffe wrote:
Shimano DH-3N71; just bought it and want it to stay mine. Any ideas?
What's the simplest way of securing said hub? Thanks

The above mentioned keyed skewer, or a decent lock holding wheel to frame of
bike. The latter does have a minor risk of toe-rags stealing the skewer.

I've been locking my bike to a secure object via frame and front wheel
but I was worried that the weight of the D-lock (it's quite hefty)
against the spokes would be bad for the spoke integrity? Maybe they're
made of stronger stuff than I give them credit for?
Old December 9th 08, 03:40 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Nigel Cliffe[_3_]

Stevie Plunder wrote:
* Nigel Cliffe wrote:
Shimano DH-3N71; just bought it and want it to stay mine. Any ideas?
What's the simplest way of securing said hub? Thanks

The above mentioned keyed skewer, or a decent lock holding wheel to
frame of bike. The latter does have a minor risk of toe-rags
stealing the skewer.

I've been locking my bike to a secure object via frame and front wheel
but I was worried that the weight of the D-lock (it's quite hefty)
against the spokes would be bad for the spoke integrity? Maybe they're
made of stronger stuff than I give them credit for?

Spokes are strong. Force applied by rider when braking bike hard = lots
(rider weight plus decelleration forces). Many bikes have hub brakes which
transmit the braking load from the hub via the spokes to the rim (hub brakes
on traditional Dutch/German roadsters, tandems, mountain bikes, etc..).

There is a difference between tension load (spokes in wheel), bending load
and compression load, but I can't see a D-lock damaging a spoke unless
someone is attempting to force the lock apart and levers with massive force
against a spoke.

- Nigel

Old December 9th 08, 03:45 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Stevie Plunder

* Nigel Cliffe wrote:
Spokes are strong. Force applied by rider when braking bike hard = lots
(rider weight plus decelleration forces). Many bikes have hub brakes which
transmit the braking load from the hub via the spokes to the rim (hub brakes
on traditional Dutch/German roadsters, tandems, mountain bikes, etc..).

There is a difference between tension load (spokes in wheel), bending load
and compression load, but I can't see a D-lock damaging a spoke unless
someone is attempting to force the lock apart and levers with massive force
against a spoke.

In that case maybe I'm better off leaving it as it is and just changing
my method of securing my bike. I usually just lock the top bar to
something solid. There will be less space in the D-lock to utilise for
cutting/breaking tools so it may indirectly improve my cycle's security.
Old December 9th 08, 03:55 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Pete Biggs[_3_]

Nigel Cliffe wrote:
Stevie Plunder wrote:
* Nigel Cliffe wrote:
[...]

Someone trying to steal the bike, or anyone who accidentally pushes the
bike, could force the lock hard against a spoke. This could damage it.
Spokes are strong, but are prone to fatigue. A nick can act as a stress
riser, eventually causing the spoke to break. You do not want to bash
anything into the spokes.

I prefer to use Tranz X security skewers for the wheels, and lock the frame.
Find these skewers on eBay. Two types: one takes an ordinary allen key, one
a special pentagon key.

~PB

Old December 9th 08, 04:23 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Andreas Schulze Bäing

Stevie Plunder wrote:
I have a quick release hub. What do I need to buy to make it
un-quick-release? *And where's a cheap place to get the bit I need.

Probably axle, cones and axle nuts. *The cones have to match the hub, so
without further clues ...
If you just want to make the hub more secure you can fit a keyed skewer
likehttp://www.cyclesurgery.com/1026444/Pitlock-Security-Skewer-set-1-Pie....

A cheaper solution are the Tranz X Anti Theft Security Skewers. A set
protecting front/back wheel plus seat post for less than 10 pound.
http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/product-T...lack-12782.htm

Andreas
Old December 9th 08, 04:30 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Just zis Guy, you know?[_2_]

On Tue, 9 Dec 2008 15:13:28 -0000, "Nigel Cliffe"
said in :

Shimano DH-3N71; just bought it and want it to stay mine. Any ideas?
What's the simplest way of securing said hub? Thanks

The above mentioned keyed skewer, or a decent lock holding wheel to frame of
bike. The latter does have a minor risk of toe-rags stealing the skewer.

What Nigel said. To be fair, I don't think dynamo hubs are regarded
as a desirable object by pikeys anyway; mine all have allen key
skewers and I've never felt unsafe about it, the few occasions where
I've wanted more security than a piece of wire will provide I have
removed the wheel and locked it, frame and rear wheel with a
Kryptonite, in the usual way.

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk
GPG sig #3FA3BCDE http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk/pgp-public-key.txt

Quick release for a kh 24. JosephCampbell Unicycling 12 August 1st 07 10:17 AM
Quick Release?!? Bill Sornson General 14 June 27th 07 05:24 PM
Quick Release?!? Bill Sornson Mountain Biking 14 June 27th 07 05:24 PM
Quick Release?!? Bill Sornson Techniques 17 June 27th 07 05:24 PM
Quick Release? DJack Unicycling 8 September 8th 06 02:32 AM