Broken bike frame

Old August 6th 19, 07:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AK[_2_]

Default Broken bike frame

Anyone experienced a broken bike frame as seen in the upper right corner of this picture?

https://imgur.com/7i148lV

Andy
Old August 6th 19, 08:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 8/6/2019 1:20 PM, AK wrote:
Anyone experienced a broken bike frame as seen in the upper right corner of this picture?

https://imgur.com/7i148lV

Andy

I had to copy the image and blow it up to read the sign, "My
helmet saved my life" (sincere? mockery?)

Experienced on my own bicycle? No.
Saw similar before? Yes.

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=broken+car...es&ia= images

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old August 7th 19, 06:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_5_]

On Tuesday, August 6, 2019 at 11:20:11 AM UTC-7, AK wrote:
Anyone experienced a broken bike frame as seen in the upper right corner of this picture?

https://imgur.com/7i148lV

Andy

This is NOT uncommon with carbon fiber bikes. They generally fail from internal defects that cannot be detected from outside. The manufacturing processes are maturing and this happens less often as time goes on. But it happens enough that Colnago states that they will not give a warranty of more than three years in the USA and everywhere else it is only two. The American manufacturers often give lifetime warranties because you general change bikes often enough that they are free of warranty burdens pretty rapidly.
Old August 7th 19, 10:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AK[_2_]

On Wednesday, August 7, 2019 at 12:24:18 PM UTC-5, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Tuesday, August 6, 2019 at 11:20:11 AM UTC-7, AK wrote:
Anyone experienced a broken bike frame as seen in the upper right corner of this picture?

https://imgur.com/7i148lV

Andy

This is NOT uncommon with carbon fiber bikes. They generally fail from internal defects that cannot be detected from outside. The manufacturing processes are maturing and this happens less often as time goes on. But it happens enough that Colnago states that they will not give a warranty of more than three years in the USA and everywhere else it is only two. The American manufacturers often give lifetime warranties because you general change bikes often enough that they are free of warranty burdens pretty rapidly.

That's interesting.

I believe my frame is steel.

It's pretty heavy especially when I take it up the stairs.

Andy
Old August 9th 19, 05:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_5_]

On Wednesday, August 7, 2019 at 2:51:00 PM UTC-7, AK wrote:
[...]

Steel frames also fail catastrophically. You should have seen the mess that the early mountain bikes made.

The much higher end steel these days that is welded construction can be almost as light as a carbon fiber frame built to the weight limits of the UCI.

I'm presently building a LeMond Zurich made from Reynolds 853 oversize and I'm shooting for the same or less weight than my Colnago CF bike.