Shimano Nexus 8-speed Hubs

Old February 2nd 05, 03:22 PM
Pete Biggs

Default Shimano Nexus 8-speed Hubs

Jay Beattie wrote:

I do not follow this segment of the market. Why do people want
an internal geared hub? It seems incredibly complicated.

They're incredibly simple to use and require very little maintenance.

~PB

Old February 2nd 05, 07:40 PM
Zog The Undeniable

Sheldon Brown wrote:

It's been over a year since we first placed our order, but we finally
have received Shimano Nexus 8-speed hubs.

I bought one myself, I'll be doing it up with 650B rims...

My wife's bike has the "premium" one: http://www.peeble.com/bikes/bikes/htm

I find it to be quiet with no discernible drag. The rest of the bike is
a bit of a lump though, so it's hard to make an objective comparison.
Tensioning the chain is a PITA because the brake torque arm has to be
loosened. I have nightmares about removing the wheel.

Old February 4th 05, 12:17 AM
Andreas Oehler

Tue, 01 Feb 2005 11:45:34 -0500, Sheldon Brown:

The Nexus 8 is supposedly more efficent and durable, and better able to
withstand shifting under load. It is also heavier, about 1.8 kg.

You have to distinguish between the "standard" SG-8R20 you sell and the
more efficient "premium" SG-8R25. The biggest difference is more roller
bearings instead of slide bearings in the planetary gearings.

Andreas
Old February 9th 05, 07:15 PM
PK

"Sheldon Brown" wrote in message
It's been over a year since we first placed our order, but we finally have
received Shimano Nexus 8-speed hubs.

I bought one myself, I'll be doing it up with 650B rims...

See: http://harriscyclery.com/shimano-nexus

I've also scanned and put up the Service Manual for these hubs at:

http://sheldonbrown.com/nexus8

Sheldon "Planetary Gears!" Brown
| If you wish in the world to advance, |
| Your merits you're bound to enhance; |
| You must stir it, and stump it, |
| And blow your own trumpet, |
| Or, trust me, you haven't a chance! |
| --W.S. Gilbert |
Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
http://harriscyclery.com
Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

I have a nexus 7sp coaster brake hub with rapidfire shifter set up in a 70s
Ernie Clements ( Brit bike) and I love it. The back pedal brake was, at
first, a bit of a pain but I soon got used to stopping with the pedal
forward of TDC for ease of starting, now I hardly use the rim brakes.
The only worry I have is that the weak point of the system may be the
rapidfire trigger, although I have had no trouble at all with it to date.Is
yours Sheldon OK on your PX10?
I have tried to buy a spare trigger in the uk (tried shimmano) with no
success.
So if the trigger fails It seams that I would have to go for the only
available twist grip changer and covert to straight bars or find an
alternative mounting bar of the smaller diameter.
I would have expected Shimmano to have continued the rapidfire trigger for
a £100 hub, may be they want me to buy the new 8Sp hub? I probably will buy
it with a spare trigger.
PS All the talk of drag I personally don't notice any.

pk

Old February 9th 05, 07:22 PM
Sheldon Brown

PK wrote:

I have a nexus 7sp coaster brake hub with rapidfire shifter set up in a 70s
Ernie Clements ( Brit bike) and I love it. The back pedal brake was, at
first, a bit of a pain but I soon got used to stopping with the pedal
forward of TDC for ease of starting, now I hardly use the rim brakes.
The only worry I have is that the weak point of the system may be the
rapidfire trigger, although I have had no trouble at all with it to date.Is
yours Sheldon OK on your PX10?

I occasionally have to fiddle with it to get to upshift.

I have tried to buy a spare trigger in the uk (tried shimmano) with no
success.

We've got them, US$34.95 with cable.

Between my Rohloff and my Nexus 8-speed, I'm getting used to twist-grip
shifters, which I didn't like at first.

I had to switch the cables around on the Rohloff last night, to make it
shift in the same direction as the Nexus--otherwise I would have been
hopelessly confused!

Sheldon "Twisted" Brown
| We engaged in innumerable discussions, and often after an hour |
| or so of heated argument, we would discover that we were as far |
| from agreement as when we started, but that both had changed to |
| the other's original position in the discussion.--Orville Wright |

Old February 15th 05, 04:45 AM
Jim Smith

I wonder,,,,,,,,will there be a 9speed nexus in the future??? Should I
wait,,,,,, will it be even smoother and yet with less drag?