Dry mouth solutions

Old January 9th 06, 02:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Dry mouth solutions

Greetings -

On a ride in the Sierra Nevada (dry and hot) last summer and after the
ride, I noted that my mouth was extremely dry. To the point where
trying to eat barbecue after the ride caused a burning sensation in my
mouth (vinegar + raw tissues = pain) .

Anyone ever have this same problem? Suggestions/solutions?

I don't think I will be swabbing the interior of my mouth with
vaseline. I was thinking that maybe keeping a hard candy going at all
times might help.

D'ohBoy

Old January 9th 06, 05:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

"D'ohBoy" wrote:

Greetings -

On a ride in the Sierra Nevada (dry and hot) last summer and after the
ride, I noted that my mouth was extremely dry. To the point where
trying to eat barbecue after the ride caused a burning sensation in my
mouth (vinegar + raw tissues = pain) .

Anyone ever have this same problem? Suggestions/solutions?

I don't think I will be swabbing the interior of my mouth with
vaseline. I was thinking that maybe keeping a hard candy going at all
times might help.

D'ohBoy

Drink more water.

--
Ted Bennett
Old January 9th 06, 05:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

"Ted Bennett" wrote in message

"D'ohBoy" wrote:

Greetings -

On a ride in the Sierra Nevada (dry and hot) last summer and after the
ride, I noted that my mouth was extremely dry. To the point where
trying to eat barbecue after the ride caused a burning sensation in my
mouth (vinegar + raw tissues = pain) .

Anyone ever have this same problem? Suggestions/solutions?

I don't think I will be swabbing the interior of my mouth with
vaseline. I was thinking that maybe keeping a hard candy going at all
times might help.

D'ohBoy

Drink more water.

--
Ted Bennett

Agree, you have to keep hydrated when riding. One of the signs to look for
is lips turning white.
I've seen this in riders on long distance rides.
I have also trained myself to drink a lot of water during the day when I'm
not cycling, since then I've never had a problem or come close to
dehydration.
-tom

Old January 9th 06, 07:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Tom/Ted:

Both of you had interesting points regarding hydration, and I would
say, generally, that I am insufficiently hydrated but there was no
hydration problem on that ride per se, but rather simply a drying of
the mouth, kinda like sleeping with your mouth open when you have a
cold.

I wasn't "overly" dehydrated except for my oral cavity - no "white
lips", etc....

Given these further revelations, I would appreciate any further input
regarding my idea (hard candy).

D'ohBoy

Old January 9th 06, 07:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

"D'ohBoy" wrote:

Tom/Ted:

Both of you had interesting points regarding hydration, and I would
say, generally, that I am insufficiently hydrated but there was no
hydration problem on that ride per se, but rather simply a drying of
the mouth, kinda like sleeping with your mouth open when you have a
cold.

I wasn't "overly" dehydrated except for my oral cavity - no "white
lips", etc....

Given these further revelations, I would appreciate any further input
regarding my idea (hard candy).

1) Theory: weigh yourself before and after the ride. Assuming no
/food/ intake, you shouldn't lose any weight. If you did, it was
water weight and you need to drink more.

2) Quench gum. Like so:

http://www.athleticfamily.com/gatorade___quench_gum.htm
--
Live simply so that others may simply live
Old January 9th 06, 08:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

"D'ohBoy" wrote in message
oups.com...
Tom/Ted:

Both of you had interesting points regarding hydration, and I would
say, generally, that I am insufficiently hydrated but there was no
hydration problem on that ride per se, but rather simply a drying of
the mouth, kinda like sleeping with your mouth open when you have a
cold.

I wasn't "overly" dehydrated except for my oral cavity - no "white
lips", etc....

Given these further revelations, I would appreciate any further input
regarding my idea (hard candy).

D'ohBoy

Here's a link on Hydration tips for cyclist, scroll to read the "Sings of
Dehydration" paragraph. One of the early signs of dehydration is "Dry Mouth"
http://www.ghc.org/cycling/docsOnCyc...ydration.jhtml
-tom

Old January 9th 06, 08:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Tom Nakashima wrote:
"D'ohBoy" wrote in message
oups.com...
Tom/Ted:

Both of you had interesting points regarding hydration, and I would
say, generally, that I am insufficiently hydrated but there was no
hydration problem on that ride per se, but rather simply a drying of
the mouth, kinda like sleeping with your mouth open when you have a
cold.

I wasn't "overly" dehydrated except for my oral cavity - no "white
lips", etc....

Given these further revelations, I would appreciate any further input
regarding my idea (hard candy).

D'ohBoy

Here's a link on Hydration tips for cyclist, scroll to read the
"Sings of Dehydration" paragraph. One of the early signs of
dehydration is "Dry Mouth"
http://www.ghc.org/cycling/docsOnCyc...ydration.jhtml -tom

Gee, how do I know if I need to pee?

eg

Old January 9th 06, 08:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

snippage of Tom's continued pursuit of dehydration as primary cause

I know that dry mouth is a prime indicator of dehydration - however, in
this case, the dry mouth of mild dehydration was amplified/multipled by
exceptionally dry and hot mountain desert air.

I was wondering if the consumption of hard candy would help in this
regard.

Thanks, though, Tom, as hydration IS one of the areas that I could
experience improvements in my cycling.

D'ohBoy

Old January 9th 06, 09:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

D'ohBoy wrote:

I was wondering if the consumption of hard candy would help in this
regard.

Richard, you hereby have permission to suck...(a piece of hard candy).
Should we tell you what color jersey to wear, too?

:-P

Bill "wraps gum around the candy; my dentist loves me" S.

Old January 9th 06, 09:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Tom Nakashima wrote:

Some might look at peeing as a joke on long rides, but if you don't
pee it means you're not taking in enough fluids.

Although peeing a lot doesn't necessarily mean you ARE taking in enough
fluids. (I take a diuretic to prevent kidney stones, so have to go fairly
often. However, I probably don't drink as much as I should on rides.)

Bill "coffee IV" S.