A pair of great Coker rides

Old September 14th 04, 06:20 AM
nathan

Default A pair of great Coker rides

Last weekend, we did a couple of great rides. Saturday, we had 7 riders
on Coker (actually 2 Cokers, 1 Creative Gecko and 4 Hunters), doing
essentially a repeat of Gary Kanuch's '39 mile Scenic Uni ride'
(http://tinyurl.com/66jg5) in San Francisco. Gary had re-ridden the
route four more times to dial it in perfectly. Luckily it was a couple
of miles longer, just enough to make 70km so we could use it as a 'Alps
Unicycle Tour' qualifier ride. Bronson, Scot, Beau and myself plan to do
that ride next August. Gary's ride has over 800m of climbing and hits so
many famous San Francisco sites that it's a non-stop pleasure to ride.
We started the actual ride at 8:15am and finished just after 6pm. We
look forward to doing it every September for years to come.

On Sunday, for some reason, we let Rob pick the route even though he's
not even planning on doing the Alps Tour. Starting from his house in
Santa Cruz, it went mainly up. After something like 14 miles, we had
climbed at least 2400' and finally got a little downhill. Beau and I
were riding brakeless with 125mm cranks and didn't like a sign we saw on
the descent back to the ocean: 'Warning, 10% grade next 2.4 miles,
trucks use lower gear.' That was quite a challenge. We will definitely
have brakes and longer (or adjustable) cranks for the Alps Tour. Next up
was a 1 mile section with quite a bit of uphill, into a very stiff
headwind, with a horrible slope to the pavement (and of course heavy
traffic). It's good to practice riding in difficult conditions I guess.
Lunch at the Taqueria in Davenport at 2pm was very welcome, then we had
over 10 miles with very strong tailwind back to Santa Cruz.

Both rides were gorgeous and a blast. The weather this time of year is
just so fantastic around here - I hope the rest of you are getting out
and enjoying riding too.

This year's photos at
http://community.webshots.com/album/187327532RfuVQY

Gary's writeup from the 2003 SF tour:
http://www.bikediablo.com/39_mile_home.html

---Nathan

--
nathan - BIG rides: Muni & Coker
nathan's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/251

Old September 14th 04, 07:50 AM
tomblackwood

Nathan, great write-up and absolutely stunning photos. Can I come ride
this with you next year please please please???

Interesting how the Golden Gate isn't so golden in the first and last
pictures, but is in the middle ones. Those middle ones with the fog are
amazing...

Thanks for sharing this!

TB

--
tomblackwood - Registered Nurtz

Tailgate at your own risk.....

Old September 14th 04, 01:37 PM
aspenmike

Awesome, Totally Awesome! Looks like by the posts/threads that all the
hardcore coker riders were out enjoying the weekend. Whats the Alps
tour? , when, etc.

--
aspenmike - unicycling albino
aspenmike's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3768

Old September 14th 04, 05:21 PM
mscalisi

They repainted it while we were riding.

tomblackwood wrote:
*
Interesting how the Golden Gate isn't so golden in the first and last
pictures, but is in the middle ones. Those middle ones with the fog
are amazing...

Thanks for sharing this!

TB *

--