charity Cycle Rides

Old March 16th 05, 07:00 PM
Peter B

"Chris Armstrong"
wrote in message

I have a Bike Events magazine that has some charity rides in it. Some of
the rides look just about my standard and I was thinking of entering.
they have an entrance fee of about #12. has anyone any experience of
these, esp. if there is a minimum amount of sponsorship you have to
raise as whilst they are worthy causes, i wouldn't mind passing a sheet
round friends, colleagues etc., but I haven't the time or energy
(probably sad I know) to do any serious fundraising.
cheers Chris

Generally you don't even need to raise any sponsorship, your entrance fee
covers admin. (Obviously it would be mean spirited not to raise any or at
least make a private donation).
The events that require a minimum sponsorship donation usually take place
abroad so in effect some of your sponsorship pays for your cycling holiday,
make of that what you will.

Pete

Old March 16th 05, 07:15 PM
Peter B

"MartinM" wrote in message

"Peter B" wrote in message

The events that require a minimum sponsorship donation usually take

place
abroad so in effect some of your sponsorship pays for your cycling

holiday,
make of that what you will.

I have always avoided these for precisely that reason, although it is
apparently an efficient way of raising funds.

Yes, I have mixed feelings about them.
On the one hand I'd prefer all my donation to go to charity rather than fund
a holiday. OTOH no money might be raised at all if the event didn't take
place in that particular format.

Pete

Old March 16th 05, 08:02 PM
LSMike

Chris Armstrong wrote:
I have a Bike Events magazine that has some charity rides in it. Some

of
the rides look just about my standard and I was thinking of entering.
they have an entrance fee of about #12. has anyone any experience

of
these, esp. if there is a minimum amount of sponsorship you have to
raise as whilst they are worthy causes, i wouldn't mind passing a

sheet
round friends, colleagues etc., but I haven't the time or energy
(probably sad I know) to do any serious fundraising.
cheers Chris

--
Chris Armstrong

I'm interested too, I'd be keen on getting some mates together to skate
some of these, assuming the organisers will allow us to join in that is.

Old March 16th 05, 08:20 PM
MartinM

"Chris Armstrong"
wrote in message

I have a Bike Events magazine that has some charity rides in it. Some of
the rides look just about my standard and I was thinking of entering.
they have an entrance fee of about #12. has anyone any experience of
these, esp. if there is a minimum amount of sponsorship you have to
raise as whilst they are worthy causes, i wouldn't mind passing a sheet
round friends, colleagues etc., but I haven't the time or energy
(probably sad I know) to do any serious fundraising.
cheers Chris

They can't actually chase you up for any amount of dosh, but certain rides
eg the London - Brighton are always full up and you stand the best chance of
getting in by either pledging a minimum amount or raising it in previous
years, thus guaranteeing an entry the next year. They say that the entry fee
only covers the organising costs. The L-B is wholly owned by the BHF so I
would hope they keep some of the entry fee.
Other than that only the overseas holidays require a minimum amount which
you can either raise by sponsorship or stump up yourself or a bit of both.

The one day events are great fun IMX, and will hopefully lead you onto
greater (and cheaper) things as well.

Old March 16th 05, 11:11 PM
Neil Hardman

"MartinM" wrote in message

"Chris Armstrong"
wrote in message

[...]

When I did the London to Brighton a few years back, the organisers were
allowing people to enrol on the day. After all you are riding public roads
so they can't stop you doing the ride, however they did advise that the
entrance fee also provided insurance for the rider, which is a good thing to
have (especially on that ride).

Neil

Old March 16th 05, 11:17 PM
audrey

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 06:49:51 +1100, Chris Armstrong
wrote:

I have a Bike Events magazine that has some charity rides in it. Some of
the rides look just about my standard and I was thinking of entering.
they have an entrance fee of about #12. has anyone any experience of
these, esp. if there is a minimum amount of sponsorship you have to
raise as whilst they are worthy causes, i wouldn't mind passing a sheet
round friends, colleagues etc., but I haven't the time or energy
(probably sad I know) to do any serious fundraising.
cheers Chris

I have the page from Bike Events brochure for the Manchester 100
before me ('tis pinned up on the wall by way of a reminder, now
unnecessary since I told my mother I was going to do it).

It says summat like "this is a sponsored charity ride - your entrance
fee covers cost of running the ride, so please get sponsorship too".
Which I think means, you don't have to get sponsorship but it would be
nice if you did.
Old March 17th 05, 12:08 AM
elyob

"Peter B" wrote in message

"Chris Armstrong"
wrote in message

I have a Bike Events magazine that has some charity rides in it. Some of
the rides look just about my standard and I was thinking of entering.
they have an entrance fee of about #12. has anyone any experience of
these, esp. if there is a minimum amount of sponsorship you have to
raise as whilst they are worthy causes, i wouldn't mind passing a sheet
round friends, colleagues etc., but I haven't the time or energy
(probably sad I know) to do any serious fundraising.
cheers Chris

Generally you don't even need to raise any sponsorship, your entrance fee
covers admin. (Obviously it would be mean spirited not to raise any or at
least make a private donation).

My entrance and effort covers me IMO. Sod mean spiritied, I gave up a day to
cycle with a mixed bunch of cyclists.

Top tip #1 : If it's on a Sunday, get completely hammered the night before
in the local and bring out a sponsorship form at about 9.30-10pm ... you'll
probably raise at least 50-60 pounds. Works every time for me. Unfortunately
you need to be up in the morning with a cracking hangover.

Old March 17th 05, 12:10 AM
elyob

"LSMike" wrote in message
oups.com...

Chris Armstrong wrote:
I have a Bike Events magazine that has some charity rides in it. Some

of
the rides look just about my standard and I was thinking of entering.
they have an entrance fee of about #12. has anyone any experience

of
these, esp. if there is a minimum amount of sponsorship you have to
raise as whilst they are worthy causes, i wouldn't mind passing a

sheet
round friends, colleagues etc., but I haven't the time or energy
(probably sad I know) to do any serious fundraising.
cheers Chris

More than welcome to skate along. I've had those petrol scooters come along
on one of the ones I did. You can whip them downhill.