decided to enter my first mtb race/need advice

Old February 24th 05, 05:01 AM
The Gist

Default decided to enter my first mtb race/need advice

Note: This was previously posted to one other newsgroup,
rec.bicycles.off-road. I am also posting it here because this group
seems to get way more traffic. Hope nobody minds.

I decided to enter my first moutain bike race. The race is not until the
end of May so I have a good three months to polish my act up.
My current ride is kind of crap. A specialized I got back in '99 but
have since added front shocks to, new pedals, derailleur, cassette, and
a few other parts that I may be forgetting(seat post, saddle? can't
quite remember). I just had and still have a bit of sentimental
attachment on the beast and haven't gone about getting a new ride yet in
deference to it.
Anyway, I figure it should be ok for my first race anyway so that isn't
my biggest concern. Besides the basics of a helmet and maybe some riding
gloves any other recommeneded equipment. What sort of helmet is
recommended? The one I have right now is decent but not the studiest one
around. Any other equipment recommendations? I am decent enough shape
having been hitting the gym over the long cold winter but seeing as I
have 3 months or so does anyone have any endurance building advice that
fits in with the fact that its going to be pretty damn cold in my
location for the next month or two?
Old February 24th 05, 05:20 AM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2005-02-24, The Gist penned:
[...]

I'll relay the advice of a pro racer when I asked her all sorts of questions
about racing: Just sign up and ride. Don't worry about all that other stuff
just yet. I would ride your bike as much as you can, just because your sit
bones will hurt like hell if you haven't been riding, as my recent post
attests.

Will you have an opportunity to pre-ride the course?

--
monique

"Get a bicycle. You will not regret it, if you live."
-- Mark Twain
Old February 24th 05, 06:04 AM
S o r n i

Monique Y. Mudama wrote:
On 2005-02-24, The Gist penned:
[...]

Here's what I wrote to the OP in RBOR(E):

You know what? Don't worry about it -- just ride as much as possible to
get/stay in shape, and then go have fun. The first race is always kinda
crazy, so go experience it with no expectations and see how you like it.

The stress and worry will always be there for the next one.

HTH, BS (no, really)

Old February 24th 05, 04:28 PM
The Gist

You know what? Don't worry about it -- just ride as much as possible to
get/stay in shape, and then go have fun. The first race is always kinda
crazy, so go experience it with no expectations and see how you like it.

The stress and worry will always be there for the next one.

HTH, BS (no, really)

Yeah, that is pretty much what I have in mind. Just do it and get a feel
for it.
I have to ask tough I know what HTH is (hope that helps) but what does
HTH, BS mean? Even more puzzling is the "(no,really)" that follows? Explain?

Old February 24th 05, 04:42 PM
S o r n i

The Gist wrote:

I have to ask tough I know what HTH is (hope that helps) but what does
HTH, BS mean? Even more puzzling is the "(no,really)" that follows?
Explain?

My initials are BS.
--
BS (no, I mean it)

Old February 24th 05, 04:51 PM
bri719

S o r n i wrote:

My initials are BS.

I was going to suggest that. as are mine :-)

they're quite common, I've known many so far in life. in fact it became
a bit of a nickname of mine back in ye olde h.s. days (ok, not really
all that long ago).

bri

--

* enjoying the karma *
remove LKJSDFJSD from address to email

Old February 24th 05, 05:03 PM
JD

Try either rec.bicycles.racing or saving your money and just going for
a ride.

JD

Old February 24th 05, 05:50 PM
Paladin

"The Gist" wrote in message
[...]

Drink plenty for several days before hand. If you can, pre-ride the course
and get to know it. It will shrink in size and difficulty every chance you
get to ride it. Night before, get a good night's sleep. Eat a good
breakfast that will sit well on your stomach and give you energy. Make sure
your equipment's working well. Get there early. Warm up more than you
might think you would. Don't be intimidated by all the posers. Ask
questions, get advice, it's ok to be the dumb clueless newbie. Smile and
joke a lot to make the posers nervous. And go have fun. There's always
sandbaggers in beginner class, so don't expect to place, but hey, who knows?
Be courteous, if you hear "track" behind you, or "pass on the left" then
somebody wants by. Use your judgment if you can let them by now or later.
Don't peak too soon. Don't over-ride your skill level and hurt yourself.

With all that said, give it all you got, and don't leave anything on the
table.

And did I say, go have fun?

just some thoughts from a guy who hasn't raced in almost 5 yrs. Maybe it's
changed.

CDB

Old February 24th 05, 06:26 PM
Raptor

JD wrote:
Try either rec.bicycles.racing or saving your money and just going for
a ride.

JD

That's definitely a roadie group, but it might be worth a try.

To the OP: When the weather clears, ride. Keep it moderate until you're
confident of your fitness base, up to a month of 3/week rides of a
duration similar to the race. Then add intervals, probably hills. Don't
forget to recover!

The best training for any competition is the actual course on the actual
equipment. Pre-ride the course as much as you can, if at all. If you
can't ride the course, ride courses that are similar in profile and
technical aspects.

There are books. Plenty of them. And web sites, though not as plentiful.
Even the ones by Chris Carmichael (Lance's coach) are useful. They'll
give you a training program that you can follow.

Or, don't be so anal about it and just ride, then have fun and learn in
your first race.

"We should not march into Baghdad. ... Assigning young soldiers to
a fruitless hunt for a securely entrenched dictator and condemning
them to fight in what would be an unwinnable urban guerilla war, it
could only plunge that part of the world into ever greater
instability." George Bush Sr. in his 1998 book "A World Transformed"

Old February 24th 05, 09:55 PM
The Gist

I'll relay the advice of a pro racer when I asked her all sorts of questions
about racing: Just sign up and ride. Don't worry about all that other stuff
just yet. I would ride your bike as much as you can, just because your sit
bones will hurt like hell if you haven't been riding, as my recent post
attests.

Will you have an opportunity to pre-ride the course?

Yes and no. I live a couple of hours away from the course itself but
will try and make it up there beforehand and check it out. That seems
like a really good idea, so obvious and I am embarassed to admit I
didn't think of that myself immediately. But yeah, I am in the mindset
suggested, sign up, ride my ass off, and get a taste of racing.
I have been riding more and more in the past couple of weeks. A lot of
the sidewalk snow has been removed making it possible for me to bike
into work which I have been doing.

Advice Tim UK 4 June 6th 04 12:35 AM
Sounding off: On unsound wheels and sound advice Luke Techniques 10 May 15th 04 08:12 PM
Another post asking for advice on what MUni to buy mgrant Unicycling 8 January 26th 04 03:39 AM
1st aid advice needed please Sofa Unicycling 16 September 15th 03 01:03 AM
advice on buckled rear wheel after accident den911 UK 1 August 13th 03 10:25 PM