Cyclists waste petrol

Old September 8th 18, 10:29 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife[_2_]

Default Cyclists waste petrol

On Sat, 08 Sep 2018 22:16:53 +0100, Simon Jester wrote:

On Saturday, September 8, 2018 at 10:01:43 PM UTC+1, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:
On Sat, 08 Sep 2018 20:46:05 +0100, Rod Speed wrote:

"Jimmy Wilkinson Knife" wrote in message
news On Sat, 08 Sep 2018 19:47:18 +0100, Rod Speed
wrote:

Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote

When a cyclist uses a busy road, he slows down all the cars,

Yes.

making them less efficient,

Nope, more efficient.

using a lower gear,

Nope.

The most efficient speed for a car is to travel in top gear at low revs
without causing the engine to splutter,

Hardly anyone drives like that.

When I'm in a bunch of traffic going 40mph, I'm in 5th gear driving economically. Then a cyclist makes us all go 20mph, and I'm in 4th. That uses more.

When I am driving my MODERN car I have no idea what gear I am in.

I agree that all cars should be automatic. But for some reason the UK hasn't caught up with the US in this respect.

But that's irrelevant, even though you don't know what gear you're in, cars do not drive efficiently when they're in a lower gear. Try cycling to your destination without using the higher gears, you'll find you use more energy.
Old September 8th 18, 10:29 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Jester

wrote:

Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote

When a cyclist uses a busy road, he slows down all the cars,

Yes.

making them less efficient,

Nope, more efficient.

using a lower gear,

Nope.

The most efficient speed for a car is to travel in top gear at low revs
without causing the engine to splutter,

Hardly anyone drives like that.

When I'm in a bunch of traffic going 40mph, I'm in 5th gear driving
economically.

Hardly anyone drives like that.

I drive around town in 3rd and only use 4th in the higher speed limit areas
if in one for a while. Only use 5th gear when in the 100Km or 110Km areas.

I drive around town in D, which means I can keep my hands on the wheel.
I wonder how many young drivers realise what happens when the power steering fails.
Manual gearboxes should be banned.
Old September 8th 18, 10:31 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife[_2_]

wrote:

Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote

When a cyclist uses a busy road, he slows down all the cars,

Yes.

making them less efficient,

Nope, more efficient.

using a lower gear,

Nope.

The most efficient speed for a car is to travel in top gear at low revs
without causing the engine to splutter,

Hardly anyone drives like that.

When I'm in a bunch of traffic going 40mph, I'm in 5th gear driving
economically.

Hardly anyone drives like that.

I drive around town in 3rd and only use 4th in the higher speed limit areas
if in one for a while. Only use 5th gear when in the 100Km or 110Km areas.

You must have really congested towns. I can sit happily in 5th at 30 or 40mph. But cyclists don't go that fast.

overtaking, changing speed, etc.

They do that anyway even without the cyclists.

Wrong, they pick the speed they like and stick to it.

Nope, they drive at the speed the speed limit allows.

Most ignore the limit

But only go a bit above that.

Usually 10-15mph over.

And often cant even drive
at the speed limit because of the traffic even if there are
no cyclists.

You need to move to a quieter area.

and drive at an economical speed.

Even sillier than you usually manage, and that's saying something.

Certainly a steady one

Even sillier than you usually manage, and that's saying something.

and certainly in top gear.

Even sillier than you usually manage, and that's saying something.

At least try to engage in the conversation.
Old September 8th 18, 10:34 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Jester

wrote:

[...]

Many cyclist waste energy using too high a gear. The object is to spin the pedals not push down on them.
Shimano Biopace oval chainrings were a joke.
Old September 8th 18, 10:34 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife[_2_]

wrote:

Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote

When a cyclist uses a busy road, he slows down all the cars,

Yes.

making them less efficient,

Nope, more efficient.

using a lower gear,

Nope.

The most efficient speed for a car is to travel in top gear at low revs
without causing the engine to splutter,

Hardly anyone drives like that.

When I'm in a bunch of traffic going 40mph, I'm in 5th gear driving
economically.

Hardly anyone drives like that.

I drive around town in 3rd and only use 4th in the higher speed limit areas
if in one for a while. Only use 5th gear when in the 100Km or 110Km areas.

I drive around town in D, which means I can keep my hands on the wheel.
I wonder how many young drivers realise what happens when the power steering fails.

Never happens. And when it does (it's happened to me once and very gradually), you just push the wheel harder. And unless you're an absolute wimp, you still don't need two hanbs. I have had a couple of cars which weren't even made with power steering, no problem at all.

Manual gearboxes should be banned.

Agreed, then people might bother using their ****ing indicators. I do delight in pulling in front of folk who don't tell me where they're going.

Why the **** did we invent the automatic gearbox then still produce inferior manual gearbox cars?

Actually, since the invention of the daytime running light, we can't see indicators anymore anyway.
Old September 8th 18, 10:39 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair
Rod Speed

wrote:

[...]

Bull****, and hardly anyone is stupid enough to do that in 5th anyway.

But cyclists don't go that fast.

Most arent actually stupid enough to stay
in 5th except when there are cyclists.

BULL****.

And often cant even drive at the speed limit because of the traffic even
if there are no cyclists.

You need to move to a quieter area.

Nope. I'm not stupid enough to drive
around in the built up areas in 5th.

and drive at an economical speed.

Even sillier than you usually manage, and that's saying something.

Certainly a steady one

Even sillier than you usually manage, and that's saying something.

and certainly in top gear.

Even sillier than you usually manage, and that's saying something.

At least try to engage in the conversation.

I did.

Old September 8th 18, 11:05 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Jester

On Saturday, September 8, 2018 at 10:34:44 PM UTC+1, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:
On Sat, 08 Sep 2018 22:29:47 +0100, Simon Jester wrote:

On Saturday, September 8, 2018 at 10:22:58 PM UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:
"Jimmy Wilkinson Knife" wrote in message
news On Sat, 08 Sep 2018 20:46:05 +0100, Rod Speed

wrote:

Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote

When a cyclist uses a busy road, he slows down all the cars,

Yes.

making them less efficient,

Nope, more efficient.

using a lower gear,

Nope.

The most efficient speed for a car is to travel in top gear at low revs
without causing the engine to splutter,

Hardly anyone drives like that.

When I'm in a bunch of traffic going 40mph, I'm in 5th gear driving
economically.

Hardly anyone drives like that.

I drive around town in 3rd and only use 4th in the higher speed limit areas
if in one for a while. Only use 5th gear when in the 100Km or 110Km areas.

I drive around town in D, which means I can keep my hands on the wheel.
I wonder how many young drivers realise what happens when the power steering fails.

Never happens.

So it never happens.

And when it does (it's happened to me once and very gradually)

But it happened to you.

Old September 8th 18, 11:11 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peeler[_2_]

Default Troll-feeding Senile IDIOT Alert

On Sat, 8 Sep 2018 14:16:53 -0700 (PDT), Simon Jester, the mentally
challenged, troll-feeding, senile cretin, blabbered again:

When I am driving my MODERN car I have no idea what gear I am in.

You have no idea of anything even when you are blabbering on Usenet like the
senile oaf that you are!
Old September 8th 18, 11:12 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peeler[_2_]

On Sat, 8 Sep 2018 14:34:25 -0700 (PDT), Simon Jester, the mentally
challenged, troll-feeding, senile cretin, blabbered again:

Many cyclist waste energy using too high a gear. The object is to spin the pedals not push down on them.
Shimano Biopace oval chainrings were a joke.

NOT as much of a joke as you two endlessly driveling idiots!
Old September 8th 18, 11:13 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peeler[_2_]

On Sat, 8 Sep 2018 14:29:47 -0700 (PDT), Simon Jester, the mentally
challenged, troll-feeding, senile cretin, blabbered again:

I drive around town in D, which means I can keep my hands on the wheel.
I wonder how many young drivers realise what happens when the power steering fails.
Manual gearboxes should be banned.

Idiots like the two of you should be banned from LIFE! And I MEAN it!

This is what cyclists waste tax payers' money on James Wilkinson Sword[_4_] UK 123 February 12th 17 10:08 PM
Another waste of effort Mrcheerful[_2_] UK 2 September 21st 11 09:56 AM
So here is some total waste Anton Berlin Racing 6 August 4th 09 05:05 AM
Wot a waste [email protected] UK 11 February 28th 08 08:24 AM
Probably a waste of my time but its my time to waste Jeff Grippe Recumbent Biking 78 January 17th 07 11:30 PM