Cambridge top for cycling

Old June 17th 05, 10:58 PM
Tony Raven

Default Cambridge top for cycling

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/4097490.stm

City's workers top healthy table

Cambridge tops the table for the country's healthiest workers, according
to a new survey.

Research for the Chartered Society of Physiotherapy showed 44% of
working people cycled or walked to work.

Norwich at 33% was behind Glasgow's Kelvin district, Aberdeen and York
(38%) and central Edinburgh (37%).

Enfield was bottom of the list at 5% above Ilford and Hornchurch, Essex,
Old Bexley and Sidcup, Kent, and Sutton Coldfield (all about 6%).

Society chairman Grahame Pope said roads should be made safer to
encourage people to switch from four wheels to two.

"Physiotherapists are seeing an increasing number of people with
problems caused or made worse by poor fitness levels. Walking or cycling
will improve your health," he said.

"Summer is an ideal time to make this lifestyle change, but many people
will be deterred by dangerous roads.

"We are urging local authorities to support their communities by making
safer walking and cycling routes a top priority."

--
Tony

Anon
Old June 20th 05, 04:03 PM
Jeremy Parker

"Tony Raven" wrote

Society chairman Grahame Pope said roads should be made safer to
encourage people to switch from four wheels to two.

Or to paraphase: "Don't ride a bike - it's far too dangerous -
nearly one fifth as dangerous as swimming. However, one day utopia
will arive, and then you can get your bike out of the shed."

[snip]

"Summer is an ideal time to make this lifestyle change, but many

people
will be deterred by dangerous roads.

So, if you do have an accident, it will be your own stupid fault for
being a reckless idiot, and disturbing the journey of some poor
innocent motorist

[snip]

"We are urging local authorities to support their communities by

making
safer walking and cycling routes a top priority."

Anyone should agree that getting cyclists off the road should be a
top priority

Jeremy Parker