Mountain Mayhem '06 (UK 24hr race)

Old March 1st 06, 07:22 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

Default Mountain Mayhem '06 (UK 24hr race)

This years mountain mayhem is now open for entries, 24th and 25th June
at Eastnor, the same venue as the last 2 years.

For those who don't know, it's the biggest and most popular 24hr MTB
event in the UK calendar

-it cant be as muddy again this year, can it-

Shout up if you're interested...

--
joemc
joemc's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3389

Old March 1st 06, 07:37 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

Yes I would like to do it again.

Keith

--
keg
keg's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/212

Old March 1st 06, 08:37 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

Not for me this year. I seem to have accidentally booked a holiday that
week.

John

--
johnhimsworth

Never argue with an idiot; they drag you down to their level and then
beat you with experience.
johnhimsworth's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1788

Old March 1st 06, 10:05 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

I'll do it. I'll need to do a whole lot of training first. Haven't
ridden a serious distance for months...

Paul

--
paul royle
paul royle's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5572

Old March 1st 06, 10:34 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

joemc wrote:
Shout up if you're interested...

\-"-U-P-!-\-"-

Count me in.

I rode past a bit of the track on Sunday where it touched the edge of
the estate; it was a quagmire of the highest order, so we went to
explore some drier cheeky trails instead. Recent experience of the
Malverns suggests that it gets muddier and boggier the further south
you go, and the Mountain Mayhem is right at the far southern end...

Phil

--
phil

"Cattle Prods solve most of life's little problems."
phil's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/915

Old March 2nd 06, 08:15 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

I'll also be there, complete with family.

Wouldn't it be nice to have a mud free ride this year (if only)
.

I've not spoken to Roger about SSMM yet, but as soon as I do I'll post
here.

Steve

--
steve.colligan

Once is NEVER enough!
steve.colligan's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/292

Old March 2nd 06, 01:31 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

I've just had a word with Roger (Unicycle.com) and he'll be sponsoring 3
teams, as last year. That's 3 teams of 4 riders, unless we have a
female in the team. In that case we can have a team of 5. Roger will
be helping out again with the £190 entry fee per team. I forget how
much we ended up paying ourselves last year, but it was approx £25-30.

If you're interested in doing this truly awesome 24hr event (one of the
biggest in Europe I believe) then add your names to this thread.

I must emphasize that this is a HARD race, but a great weekend with
tons of socializing to be done as well as riding. Each year there's
about 1700 riders, including up to 14 unicyclists taking part. For
insurance reasons, all riders have to be 18 years old, or over, at the
date of the event (24th June 2006). There's a good chance you'll have
to ride in the dark. Most of the route is off-road, with 550 metres of
ascent on the 10 mile lap. It's not a technical ride. The race is
done as a relay - complete your 10 mile lap and hand over to one of
your team mates. Just keep this going for 24 hrs (2pm Saturday to 2pm
Sunday) and the team with the most laps wins. I might just add that the
unicycle teams don't actually win, but we do beat lots of woosey b*ke
teams. An average time for one lap on a unicycle would be 2 to 2.5
hours during the daytime and 2.5 to 3 hours at night, although we have
had longer. The conditions over the last 2 years have been very muddy
which made it even harder.

If you can't decide, then have read of some of last years reports. It
might help you make your mind up. Incidentally, our top team beat 130
b*ike teams last year!! Awesome!

http://tinyurl.com/p2saf

Confirmed riders so far are as follows:

Joe McLean
Keith Griffiths
Paul Royle
Phil Himsworth
Steve Colligan

Keep those names coming.

Old March 2nd 06, 02:05 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

I'll have to sit this one out, as all my spare time is taken up with
publishing, I won't have time to train
The sacrifice will be worth it in the long term!
Mike

--
mikepenton
mikepenton's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7090

Old March 2nd 06, 03:05 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

steve.colligan wrote:
An average time for one lap on a unicycle would be 2 to 2.5 hours during
the daytime and 2.5 to 3 hours at night, although we have had longer.

come on on steve we know that its possible to go faster that
that.
*POSITIVE MENTAL ATTITUDE!* is what its all about.
just keep those legs spinning (and running when necessary) and get
psyched when passing bi*es. LOL

well count me in (it would be rude not to )

--
deadlydes

Listen to what I mean not what I say
deadlydes's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4345

Old March 2nd 06, 03:15 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

I'm in, I've not done it before but I've got time to train and the
equipment this year, and I've always wanted to do it. It also falls on
the weekend after I break up from uni, now thats fate.

Loose.

--
Loosemoose

"Come on you target for far away laughter,
come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine..." - Pink
Floyd
Loosemoose's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6326

24hr Mountain Mayhem completed! mikepenton Unicycling 33 June 28th 05 10:26 PM
Epic Bear Mountain race Bill C Racing 7 May 8th 05 06:28 PM
mountain mayhem 24 hour (UK) / Red Bull / SSMM joemarshall Unicycling 9 March 11th 04 10:03 PM
[SecMTB] Drifter Magoebaskloof MTB Challenge 2003 - Race Report Johann S. Mountain Biking 3 November 8th 03 04:46 AM
Promoter's Lament -- from Hamilton world's site Rik Van Diesel Racing 11 July 11th 03 08:44 PM