Cartridge bearing disc hubs

Old July 10th 03, 02:51 PM
Michael

Default Cartridge bearing disc hubs

I'm looking for MTB disc-brake hubs with cartridge bearings (not loose
balls). (I'm not looking to start a religious thread on
loose-but-sealed bearings vs. sealed-cartridge bearings, so I'll just
say that this is a requirement for the wet weather commuter bike I'm
building. If it's relevant, these will be 700c wheels).

For $250, I've found Grimeca, Hope, Ritchey and WTB hubs with
cartridge bearings.

I'm intrigued by the WTB LaserLite Disc hubs. They seem to be lighter
than others, with "relieved" flanges. Any problem with a 200+lb rider
on these? Anybody have experience, good or bad, with them?

I'd like feedback on Hope and Ritchey hubs, and any other suggestions.

TIA
Old July 11th 03, 03:38 AM
Chalo

(Michael) wrote:

I'd like feedback on Hope and Ritchey hubs, and any other suggestions.

You can pay as much as you like, but I'm not sure that any of your
candidates are an improvement over SunRace JuJu hubs. SunRace and
Formula make most of the sealed bearing hubs for the other guys, so
you might wind up with one even if you paid a premium for a "nicer"
brand.
http://www.gaerlan.com/bikeparts/parts/disk/disk.html

The lightest weight hubs I have inspected are often some of the most
poorly sealed; you should take this into consideration for your rain
bike. You want some sealing or shielding in addition to the seal on
the bearing, which doesn't do an adequate job when conditions are
really nasty.

American Classic make some ridiculously lightweight disc hubs, but I'm
not sure I trust their longevity or the shielding they offer their
bearings. They cost more than simple hubs made in Taiwan should IMO.
http://amclassic.com/MTB_Disc_Hubs.html

Phil Wood hubs have a reputation for excellent durability and
smoothness, but they are heavy and ludicrously expensive.
http://www.philwood.com/webcatolog/page1.htm

White Industries make very nice disc hubs. They're probably the best
value in a USA-made cartridge bearing disc hub.
http://whiteind.com/rx-hubset.htm

Chalo Colina
Old July 11th 03, 06:26 AM
Jon Bond

"Robin Hubert" wrote in message
rthlink.net...
"Jon Bond" wrote in message
"Michael" wrote in message
m...

Hope makes some good hubs. And don't forget shimano - the XT hubs are
pretty bombproof. Yeah, they're heavy, but really, will you notice the
weight difference while riding? I mean, take it in perspective: Your

bike
weighs about 1/9th or so of your weight. Making that 1/8.5 isn't going

be a huge difference. Heck, if you want to drop that weight before you
ride, use the restroom before you leave. When you can honestly say you
don't have an extra couple of pounds on your body, then start looking at
flyweight parts! (BTW, like I said, i'm 135 lbs.... and 5'11)

Holy Bat****! You're a freaking rail! I have never, ever in my adult

life
dropped below 155 and I'm 5.7 (point something down from 5'8"). Also, I
have low body fat. Ecto-mesomorph if you will.

Yup, I am quite the twig. I was a coxswain in high school (just over a year
ago), racing weight was down around 120. I was a bit shorter though, I
started out at about 5'4" and 90 lbs, and by senior year was just about
5'10" and 124. I'm still a twig, although I've been packing on a bit more
muscle now that I'm doing more than sitting in a boat and shouting.

I'm one of those people who can eat anything and not put on a pound.
Massively fast metabolism. I also have never been able to put on much
musculature, I just get stronger. Back about 4 years ago while I was still
doing karate (and a black belt) I could easily do 40 or so pushups in a
minute - good ones, too. I think the most I ever did in one sitting was
about 110. I could also do about 70 complete situps in a minute. I
probably can't do that anymore, but I certainly bike a lot faster now. I've
been trying to put on more weight, and its still not coming. I figure I'll
probably lose my metabolism by the time I'm 40, and be kinda fat, but
sometime in my 20s or 30s I'll be dead on perfect.

Jon Bond

Old July 11th 03, 06:29 AM
Jon Bond

"Chalo" wrote in message
om...
(Michael) wrote:

[...]

snip

Just an FYI: WTB licensed the AC design, which is why they are almost
identical. The pawl system is exactly the same, and the hub body is almost
identical. They do have a nicer finish, though, and cost a lot less, thanks
to WTB's larger production lines and so on. They may not be 100% as nice,
but I'd say (having held both in my hands side by side, ridden on one set
once, and the other set for about a week now) they're almost identical, with
the slight edge towards the American Classic, probably. However, that very
slight edge is definitely not worth the extra cash!

Jon Bond

Old July 11th 03, 11:39 AM
Nicholas & Domino

"Jon Bond" wrote in message
"Michael" wrote in message
[...]

I was like that till I turned 30 Jon, now I'm filling out. I never weighed
enough when I was playing ice-hockey and now I have 5kg to lose in the next
couple of months.....