carbon fiber/aluminum frame

Old November 27th 08, 08:19 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
unicyclerman

Default carbon fiber/aluminum frame

hey guys i am making some frames from carbon fiber and cnc machined alu
(like the koxx XTP but not as big and bulky). i was just looking for
your thoughts and ideas on it. especially about what you think a
reasonable sales price would be. i will have a prototype made in a
couple of weeks and i will get some pictures up so you have a better
idea of it.

--
unicyclerman

hey wanna ride my koxx
Old November 27th 08, 08:37 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
unibikeling

unicyclerman;1139298 wrote:
hey guys i am making some frames from carbon fiber and cnc machined alu
(like the koxx XTP but not as big and bulky). i was just looking for
your thoughts and ideas on it. especially about what you think a
reasonable sales price would be. i will have a prototype made in a
couple of weeks and i will get some pictures up so you have a better
idea of it.

I think it'd be really cool. Since people here say they're going to
make frames, and havent been, so it'd be cool if someone actually made
one soon.

--
unibikeling

"-I'll learn the landing once i do the takeoff-" - me

'Sixsixone - Great gear for all riding!' (sixsixone.com)-'My Videos'
(http://www.youtube.com/user/lardmcfatso)

Sprite Off Winner 08~
Old November 27th 08, 08:51 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
unicyclerman

unibikeling;1139310 wrote:
I think it'd be really cool. Since people here say they're going to make
frames, and havent been, so it'd be cool if someone actually made one
soon.

ya i have been planning it for a while and now my dad has a church
friend that runs a composit company so we can get the carbon fiber and
my brother works at a racing engine shop and they are going to machine
out the alu. parts so it will be verry precise.

--
unicyclerman

hey wanna ride my koxx
Old November 27th 08, 08:54 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
sxbud138

Is the carbon legs solid ?

--
sxbud138
Old November 27th 08, 08:55 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
unibikeling

unicyclerman;1139317 wrote:
ya i have been planning it for a while and now my dad has a church
friend that runs a composit company so we can get the carbon fiber and
my brother works at a racing engine shop and they are going to machine
out the alu. parts so it will be verry precise.

really cool dude. You had asked in your first post about pricing, I'd
say aruond $250 maybe, thats my normal price for every frame that
someone says they'll make. Since its normall Ti frames and stuff. We'll
have to see what your designs are, and what it can stand up to first,
cause alu and CF arent the strongest materials. (being that alu can
break if enough force is exerted, and CF can crack if scratched).

Old November 27th 08, 08:55 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Any Terrain

Well depending on how it looks, how long it lasts, ect. I would spend
around (if i had the money) $175-275 US.

You would be doing 20" frames, 42mm bearing housings, and 27.2mm seat
tubes? right?

--
Any Terrain

2nd Place*)---SuperWrap-'O,*
Old November 27th 08, 08:58 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
unicyclerman

sxbud138;1139320 wrote:
Is the carbon legs solid ?

they are pretty thick walled but not sollid. about 3/16 thick should be
strong enough

--
unicyclerman

hey wanna ride my koxx
Old November 27th 08, 09:01 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
unicyclerman

Any Terrain;1139322 wrote:
Well depending on how it looks, how long it lasts, ect. I would spend
around (if i had the money) $175-275 US.

You would be doing 20" frames, 42mm bearing housings, and 27.2mm seat
tubes? right?

cool that's about how much i was hoping for and yes to all of those
measurments. i can make 24inch frames and bigger also because all i need
to do is cut the carbon fiber to different lengths and keep the top part
the same for the different sizes. i can also easily do long neck frames
as well

--
unicyclerman

hey wanna ride my koxx
Old November 27th 08, 09:04 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
unicyclerman

unibikeling;1139321 wrote:
really cool dude. You had asked in your first post about pricing, I'd
say aruond $250 maybe, thats my normal price for every frame that
someone says they'll make. Since its normall Ti frames and stuff. We'll
have to see what your designs are, and what it can stand up to first,
cause alu and CF arent the strongest materials. (being that alu can
break if enough force is exerted, and CF can crack if scratched).

ya we are having a racing engine producer help us with all the
engineering and machining so it should be very durable.

--
unicyclerman

hey wanna ride my koxx
Old November 27th 08, 09:10 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
unicyclerman

im planning on having cody williams (unicaw) test it. who if you know
him you know he has a knack for breaking every thing on his unicycle.
im not gunna sell any untill i know its durable enough

--
unicyclerman

hey wanna ride my koxx