Cyclists waste petrol

Old September 26th 18, 07:55 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife[_2_]

Default Cyclists waste petrol

On Wed, 26 Sep 2018 15:29:04 +0100, rbowman wrote:

On 09/26/2018 07:05 AM, Rod Speed wrote:

"Jimmy Wilkinson Knife" wrote in message
news
On Wed, 26 Sep 2018 04:20:42 +0100, rbowman wrote:

On 09/25/2018 09:25 AM, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:
We just changed recently. Annoyingly they also changed one of the
coins, so they're slightly bigger and no longer fit in any machines
until they're all changed over at the shop's expense. Clueless Royal
Mint, they do that every 5 years.

At least you don't have Loonies...

Who?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loonie

We do in fact have both a gold colored $1 and $2 coins and they work fine
except for the terminal stupidity that the $1 coin is bigger than the $2
coin.
And the 50c coin is bigger again, but is silver colored and not gold
colored.

And we don't have 1c and 2c coins anymore, the lowest value is 5c.

I misspoke. I was thinking of the toonie..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toonie

I don't know if it was just an urban legend but there was talk that the
manufacturing process wasn't ironed out for the first runs and the core
would fall out leaving you with a $2 washer.

I liked going to Canada. In the '90s the exchange rate was unfavorable
to the Canadians and they used different colors for their paper money
with bears, penguins, or whatever in the designs. For $100 you got a wad
of multicolored Canadian bills. It was like Monopoly money.

What screwed me up was liters for gasoline. Between the exchange rate
and trying to do liters to gallons in my head I always assumed I was
getting screwed at the pump where the former Imperial gallons seemed
like a bargain.

Our old silver dollars were large. The latest attempts to float out a
dollar coin have been barely distinguishable from a quarter (25 cent
piece). They never have taken off.

https://youtu.be/TV5ztdWx56I
Old September 26th 18, 08:29 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair
Rod Speed

"Jimmy Wilkinson Knife" wrote in message
news
On Wed, 26 Sep 2018 15:57:04 +0100, Rod Speed
wrote:

"rbowman" wrote in message
On 09/26/2018 07:27 AM, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:
On Wed, 26 Sep 2018 14:06:39 +0100, Rod Speed
wrote:

"Jimmy Wilkinson Knife" wrote in message
news On Wed, 26 Sep 2018 04:16:52 +0100, rbowman
wrote:

On 09/25/2018 09:20 AM, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:
On Tue, 25 Sep 2018 03:21:02 +0100, Rod Speed

wrote:

"rbowman" wrote in message
On 09/24/2018 02:04 PM, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:
On Sun, 23 Sep 2018 23:52:22 +0100, soup

wrote:

On 16/09/2018 20:17, Rod Speed wrote:

Because even deserts get rain.
https://www.ancient-origins.es/sites...ustralia-1.jpg

Some deserts even get snow.

https://www.universetoday.com/27064/...sert-on-earth/

"a desert is a region that is simply very dry because its
receives
little to no water"
"deserts are characterized by little to no moisture"
Snow is frozen water. It has loads. So the example in the
photo is
not
a desert.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jf0kQsnpYMo

****, you're ugly.

Who says that's him?
How can ou tell from a small icon?
He needs to shave.

My beard is longer than his and I'm a lot older.

And you still haven't learned how to shave?

Did that a lot more than half a century ago now, and
arent actually stupid enough to keep doing it now,
or actually stupid enough to shave my legs either.

Having pubic hair all over your face is disgusting. You shouldn't be
allowed into shops, bits might drop off.

A beard is better than the 'I shaved three days ago' style adopted by
the
millenials. I'm not sure how they maintain the appearance

Buy using a trimmer instead of a shaver.

but it must be more work than either shaving or not.

No it isnt, it is a lot less work to use a trimmer than a shaver.

How can it be easier to leave a precise amount instead of none?

You don't leave a precise amount, the teeth on the trimmer do that.

With shaving, you have to check that you havent missed anything
and its more than one pass to get it off even with the best shaver.

Old September 26th 18, 08:59 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair
Rod Speed

[...]

Our Aldi supermarkets, being a German company, like to make everything
metric, hence they sell litres of milk instead of the pints I get
everywhere else,

Ours are all metric, and that's the law.

it makes price comparisons annoyingly difficult. They also do weird ****
like putting the prices above the shelf instead of on it, I'm always
looking at the price for the wrong thing.

They don't do that here.

They do however have a nice tactic of speeding things up by letting you
just put one of everything on the conveyor belt, then telling them how
many you have left in the trolley. Sometimes I guess you might feel the
need to er.... tell them the wrong number :-)

Ours counts them even when you tell them.

Our old silver dollars were large. The latest attempts to float out a
dollar coin have been barely distinguishable from a quarter (25 cent
piece). They never have taken off.

You currently have no dollar coin?!

Yes they do. But for some reason most don't use it presumably because
they didn't crap all the paper $1 notes when they introduced it. Its now
not even minted for general currency use, just for collectors.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dollar...(United_States)

Old September 26th 18, 10:21 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife[_2_]

On Wed, 26 Sep 2018 20:59:41 +0100, Rod Speed wrote:

[...]

Do your lawmakers have nothing more sensible to do?

it makes price comparisons annoyingly difficult. They also do weird ****
like putting the prices above the shelf instead of on it, I'm always
looking at the price for the wrong thing.

They don't do that here.

In every supermarket but Aldi here, the price is on the shelf which the item is sitting on. In Aldi however, it's on the shelf above, or for the top shelf, way above it on a vertical bit.

They do however have a nice tactic of speeding things up by letting you
just put one of everything on the conveyor belt, then telling them how
many you have left in the trolley. Sometimes I guess you might feel the
need to er.... tell them the wrong number :-)

Ours counts them even when you tell them.

Try filling your trolley to the brim, they can't see them all then :-)

Our old silver dollars were large. The latest attempts to float out a
dollar coin have been barely distinguishable from a quarter (25 cent
piece). They never have taken off.

You currently have no dollar coin?!

Yes they do. But for some reason most don't use it presumably because
they didn't crap all the paper $1 notes when they introduced it. Its now
not even minted for general currency use, just for collectors.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dollar...(United_States)

$1 US is worth even less than £1. Our £1 notes fell to bits through overuse, I dread to think what theirs look like.
Old September 26th 18, 10:45 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair
Rod Speed

wrote:

[...]

They do them all.

it makes price comparisons annoyingly difficult. They also do weird
**** like putting the prices above the shelf instead of on it, I'm
always looking at the price for the wrong thing.

They don't do that here.

In every supermarket but Aldi here, the price is on the shelf which the
item is sitting on. In Aldi however, it's on the shelf above, or for the
top shelf, way above it on a vertical bit.

Like I said, Aldi does it the same way all the other supermarkets do it
here.

They do however have a nice tactic of speeding things up by letting you
just put one of everything on the conveyor belt, then telling them how
many you have left in the trolley. Sometimes I guess you might feel the
need to er.... tell them the wrong number :-)

Ours counts them even when you tell them.

Try filling your trolley to the brim, they can't see them all then :-)

I did that at one time, they required them to
all be on the belt so they could count them.

Our old silver dollars were large. The latest attempts to float out a
dollar coin have been barely distinguishable from a quarter (25 cent
piece). They never have taken off.

You currently have no dollar coin?!

Yes they do. But for some reason most don't use it presumably because
they didn't crap all the paper $1 notes when they introduced it. Its now
not even minted for general currency use, just for collectors.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dollar...(United_States)

$1 US is worth even less than £1. Our £1 notes fell to bits through
overuse, I dread to think what theirs look like.

That comes down to how soon they pulp them, not how much use they get.

Old September 27th 18, 03:09 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair
rbowman[_2_]

On 09/26/2018 10:55 AM, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:
I've seen places for rent at twice the cost of my mortgage, and the
house is half the size. That's a fourfold difference.

And I've seen the counter-example.

Finally, if you live in an RV you get to keep it. And modify it. Lot
rent is quite a bit less than rental properties.

I take it RV means campervan? Those depreciate way faster than houses.

If you don't plan on selling it who cares? Besides, as you argued for
automobiles, buy them used after they depreciate.

Living in a tent isn't bad. I lived in my pickup for much of 1988 and
1989. Technically I suppose I was homeless but it was my choice. Home
was anyplace in the US where I parked it.

I need space for belongings.

When I left NH if it didn't fit in the pickup I didn't need it. Right
now I've been stationary too long and the **** is accumulating. MP3s and
Kindles are great inventions; electrons take up a lot less room than
books, tapes, and CDs.

Old September 27th 18, 03:24 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair
rbowman[_2_]

On 09/26/2018 12:47 PM, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:
You currently have no dollar coin?!

Effectively, no.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dollar...(United_States)

I probably have one around here someplace. I thought I'd found it but it
turned out to be a token for the carousel.

We also have a two dollar bill. I've got one that I'm using as a
bookmark. They never took off either.

We do not have a three dollar bill, leading to the expression 'as queer
as a three dollar bill'.

There is a 50 cent coin, again rarely seen. It's redundant since you can
make any sum with 1, 5, 10, and 25.
Old September 27th 18, 03:36 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair
rbowman[_2_]

On 09/26/2018 01:59 PM, Rod Speed wrote:
Yes they do. But for some reason most don't use it presumably because
they didn't crap all the paper $1 notes when they introduced it. Its now
not even minted for general currency use, just for collectors.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dollar...(United_States)

It would have had to be forced. They look too much like quarters. Even
the little used half dollar is bigger and more distinguishable.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peace_dollar

Those were still in circulation when I was a kid, especially in the
western states. 1.5" in diameter and close to an ounce, it definitely
stood out. A pocket full of those and you felt like a person of substance.

When I was driving a truck I would sometimes load at the Denver mint,
about 43,000 pounds of pennies. They would shut the doors and you were
on your way, no seals, or id checks. They were a lot more careful with a
truckload of beer.

The nickles and dimes were just as casual. They got serious for quarters
with a special armored truck disguised as a reefer.

Old September 27th 18, 03:50 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair
rbowman[_2_]

On 09/26/2018 03:21 PM, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:
$1 US is worth even less than £1. Our £1 notes fell to bits through
overuse, I dread to think what theirs look like.

They hold up well. I've got a couple from Sept. 2012 that are in decent
shape. It's hardly distinguishable from the Apr. 2014 one.
Old September 27th 18, 03:54 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair
rbowman[_2_]

On 09/26/2018 03:45 PM, Rod Speed wrote:
That comes down to how soon they pulp them, not how much use they get.

https://www.federalreserve.gov/faqs/...aper-money.htm

They figure 5.8 years for $1s. I'm surprised that $10s are lower. The
ATMs dispense $20s so I seldom have a $10 very long. Maybe that's what
keeps them in play.

This is what cyclists waste tax payers' money on James Wilkinson Sword[_4_] UK 123 February 12th 17 11:08 PM
Another waste of effort Mrcheerful[_2_] UK 2 September 21st 11 09:56 AM
So here is some total waste Anton Berlin Racing 6 August 4th 09 05:05 AM
Wot a waste [email protected] UK 11 February 28th 08 09:24 AM
Probably a waste of my time but its my time to waste Jeff Grippe Recumbent Biking 78 January 18th 07 12:30 AM