Front axle, what thread?

Old November 11th 17, 11:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default Front axle, what thread?

Folks,

I'd like to get rid of the QR on my MTB and replace the whole chebang
with a solid axle, preferably CroMo. I want the cones and other hardware
from the old one to fit. Seems hard to find these days. What I measure
on the existing axle is a diameter of 0.349" which usually translates to
9mm. However, most front axles I see are 9.5mm. Are they just called
that or are they really 9.5mm?

Some dealers have 9x1 which I think means 9mm and 24tpi. Is that the
usual standard?

The lengths are also a bit excessive, 155mm where only 140mm is needed
but I could either cover that with something round (to avoid it tearing
into flesh during a crash) or grind it off.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old November 11th 17, 11:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 11/11/2017 4:06 PM, Joerg wrote:
Folks,

I'd like to get rid of the QR on my MTB and replace the
whole chebang with a solid axle, preferably CroMo. I want
the cones and other hardware from the old one to fit. Seems
hard to find these days. What I measure on the existing axle
is a diameter of 0.349" which usually translates to 9mm.
However, most front axles I see are 9.5mm. Are they just
called that or are they really 9.5mm?

Some dealers have 9x1 which I think means 9mm and 24tpi. Is
that the usual standard?

The lengths are also a bit excessive, 155mm where only 140mm
is needed but I could either cover that with something round
(to avoid it tearing into flesh during a crash) or grind it
off.

Most current solid fronts are m9x1 standard metric. Solid
front axles used to be m8x1 and still are for the low end of
bicycles. Your QR front is m9x1

What hub is it? Current Shimano F BO&QR hubs are m9x1

Why not just buy a solid front axle set complete?
Dirt cheap, available anywhere bicycles are commonly
serviced. Replace your bearings while you're in there.

Nope that's not 24tpi they are metric.
Nope 9.5mm was mostly the old rear solid axle format.
Yes solid fronts run about 140mm overall I think your 155mm
number is for a 9.5mm solid rear.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old November 12th 17, 01:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2017-11-11 14:34, AMuzi wrote:
[...]

Thanks, that is great. That means I can simply swap out the axle.

What hub is it? Current Shimano F BO&QR hubs are m9x1

It is a Formula DC-73. The rear (DC-30) is different and has a 10mm
axle. Some day I'll also replace the rear with a solid axle but that
isn't as urgent.

Why not just buy a solid front axle set complete?

Doesn't matter, I'd also take a complete set but it should be CroMo.

Dirt cheap, available anywhere bicycles are commonly serviced. Replace
your bearings while you're in there.

It's the old adjustable cone and balls deal but with pretty good dust
caps. So far it all looked nice and clean when I re-greased. The MTB
probably has 5-6k miles on it.

Nope that's not 24tpi they are metric.
Nope 9.5mm was mostly the old rear solid axle format.
Yes solid fronts run about 140mm overall I think your 155mm number is
for a 9.5mm solid rear.

Good advice. 140mm would fit nicely.

The main reason is that I always had the front axle work itself out and
gouge the inside of the left fork drop-out because bicycles have the
front brake caliper on the wrong side (back instead of front). The only
way to prevent this from happening is lubing up the QR as good as
possible and then close it very tight. A friend of mine had a QR snap
off during a ride on his MTB. Luckily it was the rear wheel, the front
could result in a ghastly crash.

Old November 12th 17, 10:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ian Field

"Joerg" wrote in message
On 2017-11-11 14:34, AMuzi wrote:
[...]

Last time I swapped out QR axles, I just pinched solid ones from random
wheels laying around the garage.

The cones didn't look *EXACTLY* alike, but the originals were incompatible
thread to the replacement axles. The whole salvaged axle and cones went in
and served until the brake blocks wore through the alloy rim.

Old November 13th 17, 07:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

"Joerg" wrote in message
On 2017-11-11 14:34, AMuzi wrote:
[...]

I just noticed that finding a 9mm solid axle from CroMo is very tough.
The ones I found were all non-metric or sealed-hub BMX. Or no key-way
which can make a front wheel removal in the field hard. I'll probably
visit some shops that sell and service used bikes which is where I
bought my last CroMo rear axle for the old MTB (after which it didn't
bend or break anymore).

Old November 13th 17, 07:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

"Joerg" wrote in message
On 2017-11-11 14:34, AMuzi wrote:
[...]

You haven't really looked:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Shimano-Dur...gAAOSwk9dZnPkv

cheaper for a new complete hub:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/SHIMANO-HB-...kAAOSwr6pZ9M1K

Or as I suggested earlier, visit any LBS which services
bicycles. This is not rare or odd in any way.

Old November 13th 17, 08:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

"Joerg" wrote in message
On 2017-11-11 14:34, AMuzi wrote:
[...]

Not so fond of a used axle but do you know whether the HB-TX500 has a
CroMo axle or is otherwise sturdy enough for heavy trail use? I'd have
to find some nuts as well but that should be easy.

Or as I suggested earlier, visit any LBS which services bicycles. This
is not rare or odd in any way.

That's my plan. My LBS only has modern stuff and the next one that
(hopefully still) has the more classic stuff is a bit of a ride away.
Almost all singletrack though so it's a fun ride.

Old November 13th 17, 09:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

used front axles are usable via low stress

roll axle over glass plate

http://wheelsmfg.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=axles
Old November 13th 17, 09:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 2017-11-13 10:29, AMuzi wrote:
On 11/13/2017 12:21 PM, Joerg wrote:

I just noticed that finding a 9mm solid axle from CroMo is
very tough. The ones I found were all non-metric or
sealed-hub BMX. Or no key-way which can make a front wheel
removal in the field hard. I'll probably visit some shops
that sell and service used bikes which is where I bought my
last CroMo rear axle for the old MTB (after which it didn't
bend or break anymore).

You haven't really looked:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Shimano-Dur...gAAOSwk9dZnPkv

cheaper for a new complete hub:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/SHIMANO-HB-...kAAOSwr6pZ9M1K

Not so fond of a used axle but do you know whether the HB-TX500 has a
CroMo axle or is otherwise sturdy enough for heavy trail use? I'd have
to find some nuts as well but that should be easy.

I'm curious what failure mode you expect in a standard steel solid front
axle.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old November 13th 17, 09:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On 2017-11-13 10:29, AMuzi wrote:
[...]

anything goes on the SAF