Magpie!

Old August 11th 03, 12:23 AM
Paul J

Default Magpie!

You think that's bad? At Brisbane airport (popular ride) there's one
that starts in June and keeps going till January. It's a real *******
too. It doesn't just attack near it's nest (if it has one)... it keeps
attacking for about a hundred metres or so along a flat where you can be
doing about 40km/h. I think it's a bit long long (pigin for mental).

--
"Find me a mountain and I'll climb it"

Old August 11th 03, 12:23 AM
sprocketgrinder

An early start to the season, great. They normally mate in late winter
and usually lay eggs soon after ie late august and this is when the
attacks start.

I nearly got killed when I got nailed a few years ago on a training ride
out near Lismore and this bird hit me with such force that it skewed my
helmet right off the left side of my headand reefed my sunniesso that
they were hanging precariously off my nose and I had to grab them before
they hit the deck.

Anyway, was intently watching this vicious suckers every move when I
turned around and see that I've drifted onto the wrong side of the road
with a ford falcon boring down at me at about 100. Never take your eyes
off the road when under magpie attack. They could cost you your life so
just keep pedalling and hack it.

Old August 11th 03, 12:53 AM
sprocketgrinder

Yeah, we had a different one just outside lismore that would divebomb
till mid december. I don't know how he did it coz he only had about 3
flight feathers left, he was that ragged and would flap around for ages
trying to swing around for another pass.

Instinct can be a pain in the arse.

--
"Find me a mountain and I'll climb it"

Old August 11th 03, 01:03 AM
PC

On 11 Aug 2003 09:13:09 +0950, sprocketgrinder
wrote:

I nearly got killed when I got nailed a few years ago on a training ride
out near Lismore and this bird hit me with such force that it skewed my
helmet right off the left side of my headand reefed my sunniesso that
they were hanging precariously off my nose and I had to grab them before
they hit the deck.

If only I still had a quick release for my D lock, some magpies need a
bit of a clobbering to bring them a bit of perspective..

PC

Old August 11th 03, 08:08 AM
Wainwright

Not the magpie thread already!!!!

A friend who I see on the ride home most nights told me today that she was
knocked off her bike by one of the monsters at the weekend here in
Newcastle.

--
Drop Dead if you want to reply personally