bromton front rack

Old April 23rd 07, 08:14 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
cas

Default bromton front rack

I have just brought the front Bromton rack for £30 without the bag,
to save money .The whole lot would cost about a £100.0 , fixing bracket,...
rack...,bag. But I am very disappointed with it ,because it is flat and has
no right angle piece at the bottom , there is no where to place a bag on.I
tried to hold a flight bag on , but by the time I pulled up the bungees
that I was using to support the weight of the shopping it got squashed,
it looked a right bundle.The idea of fixing the rack to the front frame is a
good one,it stays in- line and does not swing from side to side when you
turn the wheel.they say that you can fix your own bags on the rack but I
don't see how.I suppose I will finish up buying the Brompton bag after all
!.. moan..moan,,poor old sod!!...cas

Old April 23rd 07, 08:42 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Clinch

cas wrote:
I have just brought the front Bromton rack for £30 without the bag,
to save money .The whole lot would cost about a £100.0 , fixing bracket,...
rack...,bag. But I am very disappointed with it ,because it is flat and has
no right angle piece at the bottom , there is no where to place a bag on.

http://users.belgacom.net/bn886679/b..._carrier_block
is a good place for inspiration.

turn the wheel.they say that you can fix your own bags on the rack but I
don't see how.I suppose I will finish up buying the Brompton bag after all
!.. moan..moan,,poor old sod!!

You could possibly make your own if you still want to save money: get
some cordura or canvas or similar from the likes of
http://www.profabrics.co.uk/ or http://www.pennineoutdoor.co.uk/ though
this assumes you're handy(ish) with a sewing machine (says he, who isn't).

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
Old April 23rd 07, 08:54 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tony Raven[_2_]

cas wrote on 23/04/2007 08:14 +0100:
I have just brought the front Bromton rack for £30 without the bag,
to save money .The whole lot would cost about a £100.0 , fixing bracket,...
rack...,bag. But I am very disappointed with it ,because it is flat and has
no right angle piece at the bottom , there is no where to place a bag on.I
tried to hold a flight bag on , but by the time I pulled up the bungees
that I was using to support the weight of the shopping it got squashed,
it looked a right bundle.The idea of fixing the rack to the front frame is a
good one,it stays in- line and does not swing from side to side when you
turn the wheel.they say that you can fix your own bags on the rack but I
don't see how.I suppose I will finish up buying the Brompton bag after all
!.. moan..moan,,poor old sod!!...cas

You just need to get a bit creative. People put all sorts of things on
the front rack and I have fixed other bags onto it. The trick is not to
seek to rest the weight on the vestigial foot of the rack but to hang
the bag from the top of the rack. I used a couple of those mini
carabiners clipped into the bag's attachment points for a shoulder
strap. The old steel racks, if you can find one have a better bottom
ledge though if you can find one.

To see how creative you can get on load carrying have a look at
http://www.ipcress.net/brom_box.html

--
Tony

"The most savage controversies are those about matters as to which there
is no good evidence either way."
- Bertrand Russell
Old April 23rd 07, 11:30 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Kevin

quote http://users.belgacom.net/bn886679/b...ggage.html#fro...
is a good place for inspiration./quote

That has to be the craziest Bromie site I've ever visited.

Kevin.

Old April 23rd 07, 12:32 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
cas

"Tony Raven" wrote in message
[...]

Some good advice... about the carabineer..and that creative brompton
luggage site ! ....thanks all..cas

Old April 24th 07, 09:21 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Erik Sandblom

Default brompton front rack

Den 2007-04-23 09:14:10 skrev cas :

I have just brought the front Bromton rack for £30 without the
bag,
to save money .The whole lot would cost about a £100.0 , fixing
bracket,...
rack...,bag. But I am very disappointed with it ,because it is flat and
has
no right angle piece at the bottom , there is no where to place a bag
on.I
tried to hold a flight bag on , but by the time I pulled up the bungees
that I was using to support the weight of the shopping it got
squashed,
it looked a right bundle.

I find a compression strap is often better for carrying things by bicycle,
because it doesn't flex.

My local bike shop had some frame tube mounting things I attached to the
pannier frame. They work great as fixing points. The bag fits over them.
http://eriksrailnews.com/bike/brompt...nt_pannier.jpg

Erik Sandblom

--
Oil is for sissies

External Front Rack Brackets on Forks ddog Techniques 5 January 17th 07 02:42 AM
Showa Front Bag Rack [email protected] Techniques 6 August 17th 06 11:30 AM
bromton bikes cas UK 15 June 3rd 05 01:15 AM
Stratus Front Rack M. Chandler Recumbent Biking 0 November 15th 04 04:46 PM
Front rack for Tour Easy Michael Evans Recumbent Biking 9 March 3rd 04 02:50 AM